DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA Registration to be required again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok, so I registered that last time in 2015, is that still good or do I need to do it again?

ok, so I registered that last time in 2015, is that still good or do I need to do it again?

Your registration should be good for 3 years. Registration shows an expiration 3 years from the date you registered.

I would like to know if I'm visiting USA for 2 weeks next year, I still have to register FAA?

Just followed the FAA link - not that it applies to me -
But has anything change or has the FAA link not been updated.

Reads to me that as long as you follow certain rules, then you dont need to register ?

Fly for Fun under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft

Getting Started
Where do you read that?
It doesn't say that.

It specifically says ...
UAS Registration
If you do not operate exclusively under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft, you must:
  • Register your UAS if it weighs more than 0.55 pounds and less than 55 pounds
  • Label your UAS (PDF) with your registration number
  • Read and understand all safety guidelines
Note, however, that this page was last updated in July and hasn't been updated to reflect the law that was signed today. But the registration requirements are the same. All hobby UAS operators need to register if the UAS fits the above weight requirements.

Where do you read that?
It doesn't say that.

It specifically says ...
UAS Registration
If you do not operate exclusively under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft,you must:
  • Register your UAS if it weighs more than 0.55 pounds and less than 55 pounds
  • Label your UAS (PDF) with your registration number
  • Read and understand all safety guidelines
Note, however, that this page was last updated in July and hasn't been updated to reflect the law that was signed today. But the registration requirements are the same. All hobby UAS operators need to register if the UAS fits the above weight requirements.

I read it in the FAA link that another member posted in this thread.

It certainly does say that, if you go to the bit i linked about 'Special Rule for Model Aircraft'

Which was the point i was talking about and wondering if even with Trump signing, is there the still going to be a ' Special Rule for Model Aircraft ' ? which i imagine quite a few members could use if they are happy flying to those rules :)

This has been a concern of mine ~ for all of the drone owners in the world, we here (on this forum) are but a very small percentage of the total. I read just about everything here, and continue to learn something new every day. But, I fear that the majority of droners out there are just winging it (see what I did there? quite clever, I must say)... @tcope's idea of including a brochure with every drone would go much further than FAA registration. I registered years ago when it was first announced. Then I kept my FAA reg on my drone after the FAA lost their case in court. So then, what have I learned by having an FAA reg # on my drone? Absolutely nothing...

Having to register at least required you to visit the FAA registration website, which presented you with a list of rules and guidelines. If you learned nothing from that process then either you already knew that stuff or you paid no attention to the information presented. If the latter, then I doubt a brochure would have worked any better.

I read it in the FAA link that another member posted in this thread.

It certainly does say that, if you go to the bit i linked about 'Special Rule for Model Aircraft'

Which was the point i was talking about and wondering if even with Trump signing, is there the still going to be a ' Special Rule for Model Aircraft ' ? which i imagine quite a few members could use if they are happy flying to those rules :)

This does not overturn Public Law 112-95, Section 336 (the Special Rule), which only prevented the FAA from promulgating new rules impacting recreational flight. It did not prevent Congress from promulgating new rules, which they just did - a new rule requiring registration.

So this new law, it only requires registration. No other flight rules were included, correct?

400'AGL still a "recommendation" or no?

Maybe they could put some common sense in the box too, alongside the brochure, maybe a course of anti stupid pills too :D;)

But seriously, your idea makes sense, far more than the registration idea - which a lot people wont bother with anyway-
Plus many who buy a drone, may not see it any different to say buying an RC Car or boat and may not realze there are rules/laws so a brochure seems a sensible way to educate and hopefully for some once they know there are rules they will look into it more and understand its not a fly wherever you like toy
It should have to be disclosed on the packaging that you have to register under FAA rules. Simple as that. You can not expect the average Joe buying his kid a toy to know or even look for this. Yes I know this thing isn't a toy by any means. Wow I gotta study for that 107 now! I can make some serious side money with this toy.

It should have to be disclosed on the packaging that you have to register under FAA rules. Simple as that. You can not expect the average Joe buying his kid a toy to know or even look for this. Yes I know this thing isn't a toy by any means. Wow I gotta study for that 107 now! I can make some serious side money with this toy.

Well actually it is still "toy grade" even though many of us use it for more than just fun & leisure.

Don't quit your day job too soon because it's not quite as easy to make "serious money" as you might think. Keep things in perspective and take it one day at a time.

Reactions: FLYBOYJ and Dw911
Well actually it is still "toy grade" even though many of us use it for more than just fun & leisure.

Don't quit your day job too soon because it's not quite as easy to make "serious money" as you might think. Keep things in perspective and take it one day at a time.

Nah, its easy to make money
- you just need to know the right person and get his John Hancock on a bit of paper -
the FAA are managing to do it..... $5 a head all for apparently doing FA is pretty serious money :D;)

Reactions: Aran
What do I get in exchange for my 5 bucks? Anybody wishing to do business with me has to demonstrate benefits, or no sale.

What do I get in exchange for my 5 bucks? Anybody wishing to do business with me has to demonstrate benefits, or no sale.
They don't want to do business with you, they want your name in a database and you have to pay $5.00 for the privilege of giving it to them.

Reactions: PlatinumPilot
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danyjames_