DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA Registration to be required again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I'm overly trusting or hopeful but I register all of my guns and no one has come looking for me. Yet.

I've had a drone registration since it first came out so the only difference for me is that I wrote my number on my Mavic. Someone may have said this but if nothing else positive comes out of this law, at least the possibility exists that someone might return your drone if it gets lost.

So according to what i see on the FAA site you don't need to register unless you don't meet the criteria of the "Special Rule for Model Aircraft".

Per the site "You don't need permission from the FAA to fly your UAS under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft, but you must always fly safely. You may
elect to register your UAS to help in the recovery of lost equipment"

also

"Note: Model aircraft operators that comply with all of these operational requirements during flight do not have to register their UAS with the FAA.

Model aircraft operators must follow these rules to fly under this Rule:

• the aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational use
  • the aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization
  • the aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds unless otherwise certified through a design, construction, inspection, flight test, and operational safety program administered by a community-based organization
  • the aircraft is operated in a manner that does not interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft
  • when flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation (model aircraft operators flying from a permanent location within 5 miles of an airport should establish a mutually-agreed upon operating procedure with the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower [when an air traffic facility is located at the airport])
A model aircraft is defined as an unmanned aircraft that:

• capable of sustained flight in the atmosphere
  • flown within visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft
  • flown for hobby or recreational purposes.
If you do not operate exclusively under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft, you must:

• Register your UAS if it weighs more than 0.55 pounds and less than 55 pounds
  • Label your UAS (PDF) with your registration number
  • Read and understand all safety guidelines "

so from what i see most of us don't have to register because we fly for fun and within the limitations. Am i reading this wrong or am I correct? (also as i side note I am registered but curious)

Reactions: Dw911
...remember just a couple years ago when the OPM database was stolen, compromising sensitive personal and security-clearance information on 22 million Americans? Anybody punished for that? No.

Yes, huge story that so many people never heard. Theft of personnel files of millions (if not all current and many past) federal employees including FBI, CIA, DOJ and everyone else with any kind of security clearance. Its mind boggling. The files included confidential background investigations, medical records, and other material that could be used by foreign agents to harass, blackmail, or extort. You are probably right that the persons in charge of safeguarding the data were never punished. I think China remains official suspect #1. In light of recent developments in the news, however, you have to wonder if it was not just some knucklehead in charge of national security who left their laptop open at Starbucks.

Reactions: PT_Mavic
Does anyone have a link to the page to register and when this goes effective. I literally just bought my drones and was under the assumption I didn't have to register but I guess I do now.

Follow-up this is the registration that requires the $5 fee correct?

sUAS Registration -- and yes its $5 for 3 years

So according to what i see on the FAA site you don't need to register unless you don't meet the criteria of the "Special Rule for Model Aircraft".

Per the site "You don't need permission from the FAA to fly your UAS under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft, but you must always fly safely. You may
elect to register your UAS to help in the recovery of lost equipment"

also

"Note: Model aircraft operators that comply with all of these operational requirements during flight do not have to register their UAS with the FAA.

Model aircraft operators must follow these rules to fly under this Rule:

• the aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational use
    • the aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization
    • the aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds unless otherwise certified through a design, construction, inspection, flight test, and operational safety program administered by a community-based organization
    • the aircraft is operated in a manner that does not interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft
    • when flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation (model aircraft operators flying from a permanent location within 5 miles of an airport should establish a mutually-agreed upon operating procedure with the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower [when an air traffic facility is located at the airport])
A model aircraft is defined as an unmanned aircraft that:

• capable of sustained flight in the atmosphere
    • flown within visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft
    • flown for hobby or recreational purposes.
If you do not operate exclusively under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft, you must:

• Read and understand all safety guidelines "
so from what i see most of us don't have to register because we fly for fun and within the limitations. Am i reading this wrong or am I correct? (also as i side note I am registered but curious)

That was correct until yesterday. The Feds haven't updated their site

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07
I also register my cars and motorcycles... Oh and my jet boat. To me this is just another item to register. No big deal really.

"There is no comprehensive national system of gun registration. In fact, federal law prohibits the use of the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) to create any system of registration of firearms or firearm owners."

I believe 14 states have a gun registration requirement.

Oh and I "registered" my dog too... Hahaha! If you have them, you probably registered your kids. I just don't get all the paranoia some of you have towards the govt. Maybe you all are super important but it's my opinion that the govt couldn't care less about me.

"There is no comprehensive national system of gun registration. In fact, federal law prohibits the use of the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) to create any system of registration of firearms or firearm owners."

I believe 14 states have a gun registration requirement.

Yep. It's really no big deal in my opinion.

I registered my Solo when I first bought it and so far the gov't thugs haven't kicked in my door so writing my registration number on my Mavic as well, doesn't really bother me.

It’s easy, in almost all states private sales are legal. Even going through a FFL with a NICS check, the government doesn’t keep a record of the sale.... by law.

Oh well, I'd rather buy on the up and up, thanks. You're the guy the gun control people are always crying about! So you have guns you can use to commit crimes and mass murders that can't be traced back to you? Nice...

Okay, I'm stirring the pot but seriously, aren't you all the guys that go on and on about "responsible flying"? Well, if you're following all the rules anyway, what difference does it make registering?

Oh well, I'd rather buy on the up and up, thanks. You're the guy the gun control people are always crying about! So you have guns you can use to commit crimes and mass murders that can't be traced back to you? Nice...
I said private sales are LEGAL in my state as in “up and up” and yes.... and thanks for implying that I am a mass murderer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54