DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA withdraws DJI Mavic Pro Platinum RID compliance

OldBobcat

Reactions
FAA withdraws DJI Mavic Pro Platinum RID compliance

This notice rescinds a declaration of compliance (DOC) for the DJI Mavic Pro Platinum unmanned aircraft with the assigned tracking number RID000000111 that the FAA-accepted on January 19, 2023, effective immediately.

Basis for Rescission​

In accordance with § 89.540(a)(1)(i), the Administrator may rescind a DOC under the circumstance that a standard remote identification unmanned aircraft or remote identification broadcast module listed under an FAA-accepted DOC does not meet the minimum performance requirements of §§ 89.310 or 89.320. In accordance with § 89.540(a)(1)(ii), the Administrator may also rescind acceptance of a DOC when a previously FAA-accepted DOC does not meet a requirement of this subpart.

The basis for rescission of the DOC with tracking number RID000000111 is as follows:

(1) DJI statement to the FAA that the group of products listed on DOC tracking number RID000000111 is not compliant with part 89 RID performance requirements.

(2) Statement from the DJI employee, whose name was listed as point of contact on the DOC submission, stating he had not made the DOC submission.

(3) DJI’s request for rescission of the DOC with tracking number RID000000111.

Well that's a bummer. :(

iMarkup_20230713_101914.jpg

Thanks OldBobcat (BTW, 57's not old! I'd give my left one to be 57 again :) )

Actually, I never expected it to be compliant. I have an MPP and ever since it was first announced here that it was, I was skeptical. I know a lot of people got excited about it but it's 6-year-old tech - how can it possibly be compliant with a specification that was only recently finalized?

(2) Statement from the DJI employee, whose name was listed as point of contact on the DOC submission, stating he had not made the DOC submission.
That one gave me a big grin (or was it a knowing smirk? 😆)

Reactions: jambros3
The link to this article is in post #1.

Check out the timeline. Interesting. Rescission took place on July 7, 2023.

"On January 19, 2023, the FAA evaluated and accepted a DOC application with the assigned tracking number of RID000000111 appearing to be from DJI for the Mavic Pro Platinum unmanned aircraft. On February 16, 2023, the FAA received communication from DJI stating that the group of products listed in the DOC application with the assigned tracking number RID000000111 were, in fact, not compliant with the performance requirements of part 89. Therefore, DJI requested a rescission of the FAA-accepted DOC with tracking number RID000000111. DJI’s subsequent internal review of the incident determined that the employee listed as the contact on the DOC application no longer had RID certification responsibilities at the time the DOC was submitted, and their employee stated he did not submit the RID000000111 DOC."

Reactions: LoudThunder
I have a simple plan for my MPP.

1. Wait for the deadline to get here, keep flying until then.

2. In the meantime keep a close eye on the add-on RID module market to see what shakes out.

3. Buy an add-on RID module unless by some miracle the MPP actually is compliant somehow - and I doubt it.

It wasn't compliant as it sat without some kind of firmware update. It most likely has the hardware to do it though.

The 3rd party modules work fine. I use the DroneBeacon DB120 on my DJI Matrice 200 series. We make adaptors for mounting on most DJI, Yuneec and Parrot legacy drones. I would not expect DJI to support the old craft since there are 3rd party solutions.

The mounts I make are all GoPro style allowing you to move the RID from drone to drone.
If you want to keep the MPP update it or replace.

I am an engineer and not a lawyer. bottom line for those of us flying old birds (M1P), do we need to get the RID modules or not? Im hoping not. If so, is there a low profile, lightweight one

• Wow
I am an engineer and not a lawyer. bottom line for those of us flying old birds (M1P), do we need to get the RID modules or not? Im hoping not. If so, is there a low profile, lightweight one
If you fly after the start date and your aircraft isn't factory compliant then YES you'll need a module to fly legally in the USA.

The 3rd party modules work fine. I use the DroneBeacon DB120 on my DJI Matrice 200 series. We make adaptors for mounting on most DJI, Yuneec and Parrot legacy drones. I would not expect DJI to support the old craft since there are 3rd party solutions.

The mounts I make are all GoPro style allowing you to move the RID from drone to drone.
If you want to keep the MPP update it or replace.

I love the idea of moving the module from bird to bird, but how does that play with the FAA? I thought their requirements were a unique module/id per bird?

• Wow
I love the idea of moving the module from bird to bird, but how does that play with the FAA? I thought their requirements were a unique module/id per bird?
Anyone can do this; it's just a different procedure.

Non-commercial recreational pilots only need one RID number for their one FAA registration number. Since the same FAA registration number is applied to every drone under the recreational account, you are able to use the same RID number as well.

Commercial part 107 pilots will need a unique RID number for each unique FAA registration number. If they want to use the module on a different drone, they will have to remove the RID registration from one drone and re-register it against a different drone.

Anyone can do this; it's just a different procedure.

Non-commercial recreational pilots only need one RID number for their one FAA registration number. Since the same FAA registration number is applied to every drone under the recreational account, you are able to use the same RID number as well.

Commercial part 107 pilots will need a unique RID number for each unique FAA registration number. If they want to use the module on a different drone, they will have to remove the RID registration from one drone and re-register it against a different drone.

What a pain in the backside. I’ve got my 107 but fly almost exclusively recreationally. But in the off chance I use a bird for commercial purposes, I’d have to de-register and re-register, incurring the $5 fee I’m sure.

I do mark each bird with my 107 registration number rather than my recreational registration # whether I’m flying commercially or recreationally. This way I’m compliant either way.

The good news, I guess, is that my “legacy” fleet is down to a P3A, P4P, Mini 2 and a Spark.

Mini 2 and Spark won’t need one if I’m not flying under 107, so it’s just the P3A and P4P.

Maybe I’ll just retire the P3A for good and save the hassle.

What a pain in the backside. I’ve got my 107 but fly almost exclusively recreationally. But in the off chance I use a bird for commercial purposes, I’d have to de-register and re-register, incurring the $5 fee I’m sure.

I do mark each bird with my 107 registration number rather than my recreational registration # whether I’m flying commercially or recreationally. This way I’m compliant either way.

The good news, I guess, is that my “legacy” fleet is down to a P3A, P4P, Mini 2 and a Spark.

Mini 2 and Spark won’t need one if I’m not flying under 107, so it’s just the P3A and P4P.

Sorry I may have confused the terms. If you have a fleet of drones that are all registered then you simply will have to add and remove the module serial number amongst the different drones. I'm not part 107 so I cannot tell you exactly how to do that in the FAA portal but you shouldn't have to pay a fee if you are not registering the drone's serial number. IOW, I do not believe it costs money to register and de-register RID modules against your current drone registration.

Reactions: damageplanpc1
Nooooo..... (jk) but if you do please let us know so I can shed a tear for yet another venerable P3 gone OOS.

My P3P still flies great but the camera went wonky, and I'm down to just one battery... still like to fly her around the back pasture and over the woods though - once in a while... just for the nostalgia I guess. ;)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roger-N