DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fast Moving Object Caught By Mavic Pro

dundeels

Reactions
Hello All-

So I was flying above my neighborhood this past Saturday afternoon and didn't notice anything unusual, until I reviewed the video earlier tonight. By chance this happened to catch my eye. It's at the 0:05 second mark in this video. I would absolutely love to hear some thoughts as to what this could possibly be? Another drone possibly? It just seems incredibly fast. I was up at 394 feet and moving at 12mph. Whatever this was, it appears to have closed the distance on me fast.....

Thanks,

Jerry

Last edited:
Reactions: Pathogen
Hummingbird.

I've caught several of them on camera over the years. I have three almost identical videos which I was able to finally freeze a couple of frames and see what they were. Unless you're lucky, typical shutter speeds will not reveal their wings as anything but a blur if that.

They seem to be attracted to the general area by the prop harmonics and they can fly fast as ****.

Last edited:
thats insane speed!!! couldn't possibly be a bird right?, maybe a projectile of some sort.

Reactions: Alyssii
Well there ya go :)
Would ya think I have seen these type threads before ;)

Reactions: mpa
I have a similar video at a much lower altitude. I was setting up a shot over a river; reviewed the video on the tv and saw that someone threw a water bottle at my craft.

Reactions: Rain stops play
I put my clip together after a guy in the Phantom forum saw the same thing and swore it was a bullet . I say it was a big bug .
Man i'm in MS and we have em so big and fast they can fly off with a baby .
I know we have catfish that can eat one .
Really though I haven't a clue what they are but do see them occasionally in my videos making run's in them hill's .

Reactions: Pathogen
Very likely a hummingbird. They can fly insanely fast and you wouldn't see its wings at that speed. They are also very curious and even aggressive, and like to check out anything unusual in their area.

Reactions: Robert Mitchell
Fast? Maybe it is fast in terms of covering the field of view, but it does not look like it was flying fast to me. Almost certainly it was just a bug, and not necessarily a big one. The Mavic was in forward flight and the bug was flying towards and across the path of the Mavic. It was only a few feet away when it first appeared - that's why it appears to be moving real fast.

It was either a lens flare or alien . When I spot one in my videos I normally go with the lens flare theory . Not much around here that would interest aliens .

Whatever it is I'm looking at my videos even closer now.

Haha!! Wow!! That's honestly a head scratcher.'

It seemed to be moving in FAR to straight of a line to be any sort of bird or bug or anything like that. The speed may be exaggerated by the perspective but I have no clue what that was at this point.

Reactions: sparky1111
It's a bug. A tiny, little, slow moving bug. At 12mph you will cover 17 feet per second. That little bug came into view just a few feet in front of the Mavic. For the very short amount of time that the little bug was in view, you are not going to be able to see its typical erratic flight path - not to mention that there are many types of bugs that do fly in straight lines.

Guys, the sky is filled with literally tons of bugs. One reason you find them up high is because they are carried there by thermals. One way we hang glider pilots spot thermals is by the birds circling in them. Sometime the birds are hawks or eagles and they are soaring. Other times they are non soaring birds that are feeding on the insects that get caught in the thermals.

Seeing this type of thing is extremely common when flying hang gliders or paragliders.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31