DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

High Speed Object what is it ?

Lasidora

Reactions
Out with my Mavic 3 a few days ago & when reviewing the footage later that night I noticed a small very fast moving white object heading in the opposite direction as me, this day had no wind at all hence me up flying, also noticed it flying back to the same place from the opposite direction on my return journey, any ideas what it could be ?
Youtube has really dulled it down, looks a lot sharper on my captured video, but not too easy to see when viewed on here.

Image1.jpg

Last edited:
Its difficult to see via the above, if you click watch on youtube then put video to highest watchable res, it looks better, the master video it is easily viewable though, so because its so fast its gone in less than 2 seconds.

here is a link to a short version of original file, just set your speed to x4 or x 8 slower than normal, the mavic 3 was doing around 33mph, the object is towards the top right hand portion of the screen and travels in the opposite direction to the drone.

https://file.io/i4EkN8e6Oaxj

Last edited:
What do your red arrows in the photo indicate?

How about showing the initial and final position of the object and the corresponding times in the video? A screen capture with the object circled?

Even at full screen, 4k, and 1/4 speed, nothing is readily apparent.

Have a look at the link above, the quality is better at really slow speed

Image2.jpg

So, to answer my own question, the left-hand arrow in the photo shows the point at which the object becomes visible. The right-hand arrow shows the path the object follows before moving out of the frame.

It appears to be a thistle or dandelion seed that you passed closely. Or maybe just the downy "parachute" without the seed.

could be, but **** it went past at a very rapid speed considering it was almost windless that day.

could be, but **** it went past at a very rapid speed considering it was almost windless that day.

The motion of the drone is responsible for the speed relative to the object.

Small objects that are nearby and moving slowly can look like large objects that are further away and moving very fast.

Could it be an RC plane? That thing is going very fast and is quite sizable. It's traveling from the right third of frame to off-frame in less than half a second (fourteen frames at 30fps). Is there a model plane field near there?

Way too small to tell what it is, but likely an insect or something.

Out with my Mavic 3 a few days ago & when reviewing the footage later that night I noticed a small very fast moving white object heading in the opposite direction as me, this day had no wind at all hence me up flying, also noticed it flying back to the same place from the opposite direction on my return journey, any ideas what it could be ?
Youtube has really dulled it down, looks a lot sharper on my captured video, but not too easy to see when viewed on here.

View attachment 150291

OK, I don't see the first part ( I'll do back and look now you have given instructions) But folks go to youtube and set it to the highest res u have, Now turn down the speed settings to,25 and it's quick, but between 1 sec and 2 Lasadora, you got something? Yeah,Screenshot 2022-06-19 091059.jpg that's a UFO. Now I'm not saying green spacemen, but it is an Unidentifed Flying Object. See my attached pic.

What do your red arrows in the photo indicate?

How about showing the initial and final position of the object and the corresponding times in the video? A screen capture with the object circled?

Even at full screen, 4k, and 1/4 speed, nothing is readily apparent.
MS Coast, I just posted below a screen grab from YOUTUBE It's so quick I set my Screen (New PC ) to 2460 or something, but to .25 speed. I watched like 4 times and finally between 1-2 seconds it blips by on rt side. Now trying to do a grab was hard. I'm telling you that thing was, UMMM, let us just say not in the frame but a millisecond. To see my grab below. I think the original pic is confusing. There is nothing there, Just look on rt.

MS Coast, I just posted below a screen grab from YOUTUBE It's so quick I set my Screen (New PC ) to 2460 or something, but to .25 speed. I watched like 4 times and finally between 1-2 seconds it blips by on rt side. Now trying to do a grab was hard. I'm telling you that thing was, UMMM, let us just say not in the frame but a millisecond. To see my grab below. I think the original pic is confusing. There is nothing there, Just look on rt.
I found it. See post #6. It's entirely consistent with a dandelion seed or something similar.

Thanks, at least I know I'm not being photo bombed by a mini UFO then 😁

Thanks, at least I know I'm not being photo bombed by a mini UFO then 😁
I've had several close passes by insects in the few weeks, at 200' AGL or higher. At first glance they can look like large birds coming at the drone.

I'm impressed that you spotted that thing on the video. I've sometimes wondered how many interesting things we catch on video and never know about.

Reactions: jaswalt
I'm also leaning in the bug direction, although the dandelion idea isn't half bad either. However, if it was not a windy day, it seems less likely that a dandelion seed would be up that high. At first, it seems like it's far away, but without knowing its actual size, it's just as likely to be close.

I also agree with ms coast that it's impressive you even saw that thing. It took a few tries, but I did eventually get it stopped on the screen. Cannot tell what shape it is, but it's definitely something there for the briefest of moments. Just curious, do you watch all your videos at 1/4 speed or were you able to see this at regular speed? Kind of makes me want to go back and slow some of mine down.

You said you got it a 2nd time on the return trip? Was it going the same speed? If so, that would tend to lend credence to the dandelion seed.

When I watch my videos on this 47" screen in HD they look ultra clear due to the high bitrate of the Mavic 3 files, & I just happened to notice it whizz past & wondered if I had seen it or not, so slowed it down to watch again & there it was.

When I watch my videos on this 47" screen in HD they look ultra clear due to the high bitrate of the Mavic 3 files, & I just happened to notice it whizz past & wondered if I had seen it or not, so slowed it down to watch again & there it was.
Well, I guess I have a new plan tomorrow--look up the video on my TV. I rarely hook up to/use my tv for internet surfing and can't say that I've ever watched any of my drone videos on it either. It's time to see what I've been missing.

I found it. See post #6. It's entirely consistent with a dandelion seed or something similar.
MS, I admit I'm a Newbie,and as such. I do not know the Capabilities of A mavic 3. I don't know if he mentioned the didtance from where he was shooting either. But "My Eyes" saw something moving incredibly FAST" If he was I'd say with in One hundred yards Maybe. But any further my mind say no. Look , are "Dandelion seeds" a common occurrence in Mavic filming"
I just see a very Unusually situation to my eyes.
A DANDALION It self Maybe, a seed, no.
Steve

MS, I admit I'm a Newbie,and as such. I do not know the Capabilities of A mavic 3. I don't know if he mentioned the didtance from where he was shooting either. But "My Eyes" saw something moving incredibly FAST" If he was I'd say with in One hundred yards Maybe. But any further my mind say no. Look , are "Dandelion seeds" a common occurrence in Mavic filming"
I just see a very Unusually situation to my eyes.
A DANDALION It self Maybe, a seed, no.
Steve
Yes, people see those fluffy dandelion seeds when flying drones.

As for the apparent speed, think about two situations. A housefly flies across your face from left to right about a foot away. And a Lear Jet going 400 kts flies from left to right a mile out in front of you. The fly moves through your field of view almost instantly. The Lear Jet takes takes about 44 seconds. If you can't focus on either one and identify them clearly and they look like blobs, the fly will appear to be moving a lot faster.

Or imagine looking out the window of a car. A sign on the side of the road moves by very quickly, while a mountain a couple of miles away moves very slowly out of view.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greg190