DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fear šŸ˜°

I purchased my Platinum Pro a few years ago and Iā€™m just flying it for the FIRST time THIS month šŸ¤·šŸ½ā€ā™‚ļø. How long did it take you to try your ā€œrange testā€? My fear level is at 100. RTH phobia lolView attachment 136554
Wait, so you've had your drone for over 3 years now and you haven't done a range test?! Unbelievable!

• Haha
Reactions: Kentucky Ranger
I would delete the photo of the order, I don't think it adds anything of use to the post.
"My fear level is at 100" what units and is that height or distance?
Range limits depend on the flying enviroment and what 'obstacles' the signal has to get through.
I may be peculiar but I will not range test over land. My fear is would happen if something goes wrong and the drone comes down, so I test over water, that way no one is endangered.

100ft (both height and distance ) is nothing.

BUT and in my mind it is a BIG BUT, with your batteries having sat so long I would not risk a distance flight until you are sure they are still good.
I would suggest that BEFORE you range test you make at least three or four local flights with each battery, from fully charged down to whatever you consider the acceptable minimum, and watch how the charge levels fall and what warnings you get.

With regards to RTH that is something that I think you should practice, there are various things that will trigger them and the behaviours can be complicated and not what you expect, that could lead to endangering the drone.
My suggestion would be read the manual entry for a particular 'type' of RTH and then go out and in a safe, open place try it and see if the drone does what you expect it to do. Reading the manual is one thing but practical experience tends, with me, to drive the message home.

Last edited by a moderator:
My first drone was DJI Tello.. and it crashed on a lake 2 months ago... so i got myself DJI Mini SE... i fly about a month..

at first, i still not confidence enough to fly higher and further... but after practice every day, i can fly for up to 80m height, and 300m distance (thats about Mini SE wifi max range in urban area)

For RTH, yes, practice and simulate RTH in an open field.. and you should know capabilities of your drone (RTH, Range, speed, battery, wind resistance, etc) until you trust those capabilites...

me personally, first days of my Mini SE, im too scared to fly beyond 100m and lost signal (afraid of "flyaway).. but these days, i gain enough trust and confidence on those systems.. i fly 300m, lost signal, and wait for RTH ...

Drones these days are a piece of engineering marvel...

Last edited:
Reactions: Droniac
I would delete the photo of the order, I don't think it adds anything of use to the post.
"My fear level is at 100" what units and is that height or distance?
Range limits depend on the flying enviroment and what 'obstacles' the signal has to get through.
I may be peculiar but I will not range test over land. My fear is would happen if something goes wrong and the drone comes down, so I test over water, that way no one is endangered.

100ft (both height and distance ) is nothing.

BUT and in my mind it is a BIG BUT, with your batteries having sat so long I would not risk a distance flight until you are sure they are still good.
I would suggest that BEFORE you range test you make at least three or four local flights with each battery, from fully charged down to whatever you consider the acceptable minimum, and watch how the charge levels fall and what warnings you get.

With regards to RTH that is something that I think you should practice, there are various things that will trigger them and the behaviours can be complicated and not what you expect, that could lead to endangering the drone.
My suggestion would be read the manual entry for a particular 'type' of RTH and then go out and in a safe, open place try it and see if the drone does what you expect it to do. Reading the manual is one thing but practical experience tends, with me, to drive the message home.
Thanks for the feedback. I meant to just show date of purchase in photo lol. I have used the batteries steadily since purchase as a charger for my phones and tablets with an adapter. I also just purchased two new batteries. I only have been flying on Coney Island beach. I guess Iā€™ll start at 300m

Attachments

• B6BBDBDD-D525-4B89-95ED-9877561BF5D0.jpeg
    B6BBDBDD-D525-4B89-95ED-9877561BF5D0.jpeg
    456.4 KB · Views: 18
My fear limit is when I can't see the drone because I looked away for a moment - then I stop the drone and let it hover where ever it is - I look at the map on the controller, see if it'll help me recapture the drone - if it doesn't I check my altitudes and hit RTH, and wait until I see it again. After that, I am more careful to keep the drone where I can see it.

In my testing ground, I can usually maintain visual to 1750 feet when it is against the sky. At 2000 feet it is pretty much too small to see. A strobe helps, even in daylight, but I can still lose it at 2000 feet. Go figure. But for most use, 1000 to 1500 feet is comfortable visually depending on what's behind it.

How far can the drone fly and stay in communications? There are many folk posting videos with stock controllers flying their drones out 4 to 6 miles when the battery warning forces an RTH, but they still have radio contact.

Doing the math, I get about 20 minutes usable flight time out of my batteries - at 30mph in P mode, that's 1/3 hour or 10 miles flight time; so half out and half back is 5 miles typical.

As long as line of sight is available, and there isn't a lot of cityscape interference, you aren't going to lose the drone unless you fly it way out of visual - essentially trying to lose it. Your selection of max range at 300M is a good starting point if you have 20/20 vision - you should be able to see the drone and which direction it is headed at all times. Remember too the drone LEDs have colors that can help: green-flash and the drone is facing away, red the drone is looking at you. Also, green flashes the batteries are good; orange/red flashes the batteries are under 20%, fast red flashes and the batteries are 10% or less.

Here's the thing. If you are not flying without strobes attached you will not be able to keep it in sight much beyond 400 feet. If you have a strobe attached to the bottom you will be able to see it approximately 1600 feet. If you're in an area with trees the height of the trees and distance the trees are from you will also determine how far you can see your drone, but might also interfere with the signal.

Rather than testing for range on your first time out, perhaps you should have a less lofty goal and take it to a permissible park or open area where you can fly it around and learn to gain full control first. My first flights with my original Mini 1 didn't fly it farther than 150-200 feet away. Once you are confident in your ability to control your drone you can allow yourself to be a little bolder. There is a recent thread about a forum member who recently crashed his drone in Brooklyn and didn't find it.

Definitely don't fly it in Brooklyn. Local ordinance prohibits drone in all of NYC.

Last edited:
I must be missing something. It has never occurred to me to run a "range test". Maintaining visual contact is definitely the constraint on how far/high I can fly my Mini 2, not the battery duration or the signal range. I imagine with a strobe or a larger drone the visual range would be further, but would still be the constraining factor. For me at least, distance has always been a bigger factor than altitude.

Make sure you have at least 10 satellites locked. Try flying in close range then press RTH until you are confident with this feature. When you are and are confident that you know how to capture the home point try flying it out about 1000 ft over an open field then turn off your controller and watch your drone automatically return to home. This exercise should reduce much of your fear of losing your drone. Also, practice flying both away and toward you until you are feeling comfortable with manual flight. If these suggestions make you nervous then find a friend with some drone experience to go fly with you.

I purchased my Platinum Pro a few years ago and Iā€™m just flying it for the FIRST time THIS month šŸ¤·šŸ½ā€ā™‚ļø. How long did it take you to try your ā€œrange testā€? My fear level is at 100. RTH phobia lolView attachment 136554
Hopefully you are WELL AWARE of VLOS and have done the TRUST TEST.

Range is very dynamic thing. I can sometimes fly 1,000 ft and start having signal issues. Other times I can go further before that happens. Solely depends on YOUR flying environment and will change at every location.

If you stick to VLOS, you should not encounter any range / signal issues unless inside a city with tall buildings, and lots of magnetic interference.

As you fly your drone more you will become comfortable with it and it's abilities. DJI drones are extremely dependable. Make sure you take the TRUST exam and then decide about range issues.

Reactions: Rchawks and Droniac
Rather than testing for range on your first time out, perhaps you should have a less lofty goal and take it to a permissible park or open area where you can fly it around and learn to gain full control first. My first flights with my original Mini 1 didn't fly it farther than 150-200 feet away. Once you are confident in your ability to control your drone you can allow yourself to be a little bolder. There is a recent thread about a forum member who recently crashed his drone in Brooklyn and didn't find it.

Definitely don't fly it in Brooklyn. Local ordinance prohibits drone in all of NYC.
Great advice! Rather than challenging yourself to see how far you can fly, why not challenge yourself in a different direction. Maybe see how smooth you can fly while circling an object or go around or between trees. In any event, find a legal open space to start with. Best wishes.

Greetings! I agree with removing the image from the post. Secondly, I wouldn't worry about a "range test" for a couple of reasons.

1. Practice basic flying skills in an open area until you get used to the controls and are able to fly with ease and less nervessness.
2. Visual line of sight is not only an FAA regulation but the safest way to fly and control your drone.

Good luck and fly safe

Greetings! I agree with removing the image from the post. Secondly, I wouldn't worry about a "range test" for a couple of reasons.

1. Practice basic flying skills in an open area until you get used to the controls and are able to fly with ease and less nervessness.
2. Visual line of sight is not only an FAA regulation but the safest way to fly and control your drone.

Good luck and fly safe
Good response gfieldsr, you get my šŸ‘
Regards

Thanks for the feedback. I meant to just show date of purchase in photo lol. I have used the batteries steadily since purchase as a charger for my phones and tablets with an adapter. I also just purchased two new batteries. I only have been flying on Coney Island beach. I guess Iā€™ll start at 300m

If you are in Brooklyn join this group on Facebook.

They have regular meetups and the members are a great resource to learn from.

Fly it far into the sun. Take a few photos. Pack it up. Show your significant others photos.

EZ

MPP is one of my favorites! Awesome to know your actually using instead of going with the newer ones. Super cool that you even got the extra propeller cages. I find the MPP is a great workhorse, especially with PhantomRains' Wetsuits and Safety Jacket. (Youre welcome Phantom!)

Inch by inch. But by all means go forward. More stick time might increase your confidence when you see the responses you get. Knowledge, understanding then wisdom. In between it all, itā€™s ā€¦. Whelp I get it, i understand now. MavicPro forum has aided me alot in Drone flying analysis paralysis. Flysafe and I appreciate your candor. Godspeed and go for it. Droniac

Good luck

Good luck and fly safe
Thanks for the feedback ā€¦ I know I mentioned flying my Mavic Platinum for the first time this year but Iā€™ve been flying Drones since my first one , ā€œPhantom 2 Vision +ā€ since 2014.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan