DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

File naming and folder structure.

Ben_McPhee

Reactions
Hey guys, I'm on a Mavic Air 2 (And a 2S soon), and whenever I format a card it resets the counter to 0001. So on a multi day shoot where I'm just dumping cards, it's possible to get many duplicate filenames. Is there a way to change this in DJI fly?

Also, the actual images are buried about 3 folders deep, and there's lots of other folders and file types besides just media. Can I trash this or is it useful?

it's possible to get many duplicate filenames. Is there a way to change this in DJI fly?
In DJI Go 4, that's easy, but there's no way to prevent it in DJI Fly.
Also, the actual images are buried about 3 folders deep, and there's lots of other folders and file types besides just media. Can I trash this or is it useful?
Yes ... just copy the image files and format the card.
There's nothing in those other folders that you need (or could use).

Last edited:
The only thing I can think of would be create a directory on your computer for each SD card naming it something identifiable like with a date - then reformat. Keeping the files separate eleviates duplicates. When you look back @ your files, you can rename the ones you use.

I rename everything that comes off the SD card with a date format that will always be unique “YYYY-MM-DD 001 ...00n”. Easy to do, and files will sort correctly in flight order.

After every important flight, I remove the micro card in the drone and insert a new one. I will not use the card again until I have downloaded the new files. Then, that cards goes back into the rotation-with the files still on it.

Does the Air 2s continue with the last file name +1 from the new card; or, does it continue with last file name +1 generated by the drone? If neither, what does it do?

I keep a folder on my computer with a folder for each day I've operated named yymmdd and usually where I was or what I was doing. I drag all the files from the drone's sd card and the camera's sd card into one of these folders. Then, instead of formatting the card, I just delete the files from the card.

Reactions: AZDave
We use a different card for each flight. Change the battery change the camera card.

Once back at the office sort/name files by the job/date and put into appropriate folders.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Not sure if this will help but for the purposes of this thread I have put a new card in my Mavic Mini and took a photo and video, the numbering scheme carried on from that on the original card.
I then formatted the card in the drone and took some more images and the numbering scheme remaind intact i.e. all the images, old and new, are numbered consecutively i.e. 0198 -> new card 199, 200, 201 -> format 202, 203.

If the air 2 differs and resets etc. then a work around is, if possible in the field, to put the last image or a copy of it or any photo using the last image's name on the new card IN THE CORRECT FOLDER. The drone should check the 'counter' and take up from there.

my 2c, fwiw.
i use a large 128gb card, so plenty of room for sequential files.
also, i download the card into lightroom, adding hour-minute-second to each file name and retaining the original folder structure.
these steps don't make the process perfect but help a lot in my recreational workflow.

my 2c, fwiw.
i use a large 128gb card, so plenty of room for sequential files.
also, i download the card into lightroom, adding hour-minute-second to each file name and retaining the original folder structure.
these steps don't make the process perfect but help a lot in my recreational workflow.

Keep in mind that storing a LOT of sequential data on a single card could cause DATA loss should you have an aircraft malfunction/loss or a card error. We learned this the HARD way in 2016 and lost a couple of HOURS of irreplaceable aerial DATA for several clients. Now we use much smaller cards and only have a single flight (or maybe 2 at the most) of DATA flying at any given time.

Of course if you're flying for fun and the DATA on the drive isn't important my above comments are irrelevant.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Th
Keep in mind that storing a LOT of sequential data on a single card could cause DATA
That is true but unfortunately small cards are getting hard to find, my choice would be 32Gb but I am now buying 64Gb and they are frequently in short supply (at least from trustworthy sellers lol).

Reactions: BigAl07
Th

That is true but unfortunately small cards are getting hard to find, my choice would be 32Gb but I am now buying 64Gb and they are frequently in short supply (at least from trustworthy sellers lol).

Very true but that's a normal progression as the memory gets cheaper etc. We still have a few 32gb cards but the majority are 64 simply because of the cost of buying in bulk. We still swap out after every battery change and always will most likely unless I'm just burning up the sky in the neighborhood for fun and leisure.

Keep in mind that storing a LOT of sequential data on a single card could cause DATA loss should you have an aircraft malfunction/loss or a card error. We learned this the HARD way in 2016 and lost a couple of HOURS of irreplaceable aerial DATA for several clients. Now we use much smaller cards and only have a single flight (or maybe 2 at the most) of DATA flying at any given time.

Of course if you're flying for fun and the DATA on the drive isn't important my above comments are irrelevant.

totally correct when doing client or serious work!!
nevertheless, i always make a point to download the files and clear the card after each trip.

Reactions: BigAl07
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobsuruncle