DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

firmware .800 Flight restrictions

Well Im on version prior 7. I also fly with Lichi. No perhaps u understand the reason u don't always need to be on the bleeding edge tech. I have no restrictions, and I have no reason to update. 128 km flown.... Logged more than 200 hrs flight time.... No issues..... So no upgrading

What's happening is it is attaching your flight logs to your account. Forcing you to login is just a way of identifying you to your drone. This can e verified by packet sniffer on network. When reconnecting to the internet after a flight a decent size file transfer to a Dji server is automatically started. Probably to help law enforcement find drone owners that "buzz aircraft" or make other news worthy drone stories.

The concern I have is if law enforcement has access to these they can initiate witch hunts on people retroactively.

Reactions: Mavman
i think, this all sucks... what happens, if you have some other interests the next five years, you find your old drone again and there are no dji servers any more for some reason (world spins fast these days...).

you cant activate with your 2022 super cool smart device... you are the owner of a selfie drone.

Yet again the amount of scare mongering, hand wringing and misinformation is beyond belief! This new firmware is in no way different to .700, unless you inexplicably want to fly without using an app. I've now had 8 flights with this new firmware in various locations and apart from having to reset all my settings in app, I have had zero problems. It really is nothing to worry about.

sure, but the minidisc player still does his job, my retro mavic not so good withoeut dji. who knows, if there is a market for 7km consumer drones in 2022 with all these restrictions these days..

Reactions: Seldomdk
But you missed the Alien spaceships chasing his Mavic, plus Godzilla missing it as well.
CRAP! It's only a matter of time before the aliens get the access codes to our Mavics and lower our shields against our will!

maxresdefault.jpg

Even though I'm still on .400, (my DJI Go is up to date) I fully agree with you - world changes and we move from buying products to buying services. Things like our MPs are mix. And while I was giving my money to DJI I was fully aware that I will own the hardware but for software - I will have to sign to whatever comes.
That's just how things go nowadays - and we can either enjoy it (sometimes carefully - referring to my .400) or get nervous, write thousands angry posts and get a heart attack at the end.
Life is too short, and just one in addition - no point on wasting it in this way.
Change what you can, accept what you can't. Formula for a happy life.

Now, in regards to the "Restrictions if not logged into app before flight" you can not fly above 30m or 90m from home that is added with the new firmware release.... If you look at it from DJI's perspective, it is clearly a preventative safety measure to ensure that the pilot has true LOS if flying solo with the RC prior to take-off.
Thank you for this angle, I hadn't thought of it like that.

And the more I think about it, viewed as a protect-you-from-loss feature (i.e. flying WITHOUT streaming video, it's easy to lose your aircraft if it gets too far away), it's really no more of an "intrusion" than RTH, which is in the same spirit.

Reactions: RAMJET-1
It sounds like some folks are limited in regards to NFZs, and a few glitches, but overall a lot of people appear to be operating fine with the most recent app and firmware updates.

I just updated both. Flight was solid, RTH home worked, camera good, no issues...knock on wood.

I recently updated, but not all 3 batteries, never seen anything actually update with battery changes previously. This time however, mid-flight at distances beyond the limits, received an immediate update warning notice, cleared it, app crashed, no vision, all settings reset. Instant moments of dread fearing a flyaway or something worse, fortunately flew it home blind. 15 minutes of trouble-shooting on the ground, aeroplane mode on the phone magically restored full functionality and all settings.
If you always fly in aeroplane mode you'll likely never see the issue. If you don't, you should. I always will from now on.

Reactions: Mavman
Egggggggg zactly!!! I'm with you man!
Also i ,i do not understand all yhis problem please log in before flight after update firmware is clear!!!

I recently updated, but not all 3 batteries, never seen anything actually update with battery changes previously. This time however, mid-flight at distances beyond the limits, received an immediate update warning notice, cleared it, app crashed, no vision, all settings reset. Instant moments of dread fearing a flyaway or something worse, fortunately flew it home blind. 15 minutes of trouble-shooting on the ground, aeroplane mode on the phone magically restored full functionality and all settings.
If you always fly in aeroplane mode you'll likely never see the issue. If you don't, you should. I always will from now on.
I noticed a different way to act on the firmware, other than the previous ones, regarding the batteries in terms of upgrade, the batteries, I think, during the upgrade blinked differently with the firmware 800, or wrong?

I just have one question that I cannot seem to find a definitive answer. It for some reason generates a lot of sarcastic comments and often downright insulting ones on the Mavic FB Groups. I am an Engineer with a masters in Electronics and I am not stupid.

Scenario:

I take my Mavic on a Hike into the Mountains, NO CELL SERVICE. Start with Everything OFF. Leave Phone in the car as I do not like flying with it anyway.

Get Mavic out and turn it all on. Go Fly it (NO PHONE or Tablet) with ONLY the controller. Will I be subject to the 30m x 50m Restriction? To add to the mix I am in the mountains some 300ft above sea level.

According to the statement in the Release notes this answer is NO I cannot fly without a phone or tablet. Remember I left the phone in the car and do not have it at all when I want to fly.

I just have one question that I cannot seem to find a definitive answer. It for some reason generates a lot of sarcastic comments and often downright insulting ones on the Mavic FB Groups. I am an Engineer with a masters in Electronics and I am not stupid.

Scenario:

I take my Mavic on a Hike into the Mountains, NO CELL SERVICE. Start with Everything OFF. Leave Phone in the car as I do not like flying with it anyway.

Get Mavic out and turn it all on. Go Fly it (NO PHONE or Tablet) with ONLY the controller. Will I be subject to the 30m x 50m Restriction? To add to the mix I am in the mountains some 300ft above sea level.

According to the statement in the Release notes this answer is NO I cannot fly without a phone or tablet. Remember I left the phone in the car and do not have it at all when I want to fly.
Yes you login 1 time after update firmware ok i do not know were you live And were you fly ok.
But with no phone or tablet is a rc model ,you can see were mavic fly

Last edited:
Its quite clear in plain English in the Release notes that the height of 30 m and distance of 50 m restriction is always enforced "during flight", this is not what was originally described in the prompts before the update, my understanding was that it was only restricted if the user didn't log in for the first time.

Release notes:
For increased safety, the flight is restricted to a height of 30 m and distance of 50 m when not connected or logged into the app during flight, including DJI GO 4 and all apps compatible with DJI aircraft

Can any one clarify what it actually means?

DJI are really in self destruct mode if they make there products more and more restrictive. good on you DJI! great business decisions! there are 500 more drone companies waiting to take the throne.

Agree, Maveric appears to be evasively or language interpretation progressing toward more confusion and restrictions.
If you want fun sport flying try Traxxas Aton with great app.

Sorry but if you do not use phone or tablet, is a rc model not a drone you can see were mavic fly ok or you fly eve
Scenario:

Scenario:

Hello ImpConcepts,

In regards to your question of the restriction. Yes, the restriction will be applied IF you don't first connect the RC and Mavic to your smart device that has the app logged in. You do not need internet to do this as long as you have logged in and never logged out. You will remain logged in on the DJI app regardless of internet connection. So in order to lift the restriction you must first connect and when the app displays "Ready to fly" you can then unplug the smart device from the RC and take off with no restrictions. This must be done each time the Mavic is powered up after a battery change as well. Check out this YouTube video. This explains everything completely. I hope this helps. Fly safe and regards.

RAMJET-1

Thanks for that, is it me or does that seem to be a BIG limitation. What if you are anywhere with no cell signal for that matter, USA, Colombia, Costa Rica, Belize etc. The whole object of these things to "Go where no man has gone before" and get some good pictures for your memories. It does make the Mavic less attractive for the price.

Of course this assumes you have not logged in on your phone since the last DJI Go update. It appears by the Video above, that this is really not an issue as I NOW see it. Being as you have to have internet to get an upgrade in the first place.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13