DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Firmware updates

lilroc17

Reactions
I have finely unpacked my mavic pro plat. Weather has not been nice enough to fly. All my firmware's need to be updated. Is one way better than the other. I have watched video doing it thru the rc to drone and pc to drone.
Thanks.

Both methods will work.

DJI Assistant (i.e. PC) is very reliable

"All my firmware's need to be updated."

Do NOT update without first checking which app and firmware you already have and which likely work well together.

Then, do your homework -- read up re the experience of others who had the app and fw that you have and then updated.

Update only when a new offering has a feature that you desire AND you can roll back out of it if you discover a downside after doing so.

And even if an app or firmware DOES offer a feature that you desire, do not be an early adopter.

Use a dedicated cell or tablet with your system and keep it offline so that it does not get updated without your permission.

In short, once you have a system that does everything you want it to do, be very careful about updating. Instead, do everything you can to protect your system from any changes

Caveat emptor!

P.S. Be sure you are able to download, install and use DJI Assistant 2, as this program can help you rollback if ever it's necessary.

Reactions: Banned and javelina
The MPP cannot have it's firmware rolled back without opening it up and adding an internal SD card. Any MP manufactured after Septemberish is in the same boat.

My MPP has the latest firmware and is rock solid. I would not hesitate to update the firmware on the MP, batteries and the RC. If you are using an android device I would read the Wunderphone thread and use .15 version of the Go 4 app.

My MPP has the latest firmware and is rock solid. I would not hesitate to update the firmware on the MP, batteries and the RC.

I think for anyone new to it. Just tapping and clicking through so everything is ready to fly is needed.

However, be aware of the amount of data you are willfully giving DJI in a default up-to-date setup. Logs are fun, but only when there isn't a company threatening to sue you with them.

The Kevin Finisterre situation is still fresh in my mind, so DJI firmware updates are not.

I have had my MPP since The beginning of December, but I have not had the opportunity to do anything but take it out of the boxes and look at it! As a result the MPP, Remote Controller and the batteries have not been updated since I received them. I have two questions; 1) if I update to the latest firmware does that include all the previous updates that may have been released since I purchased the MPP.? 2) when you have a firmware update for the MPP, I assume that the battery in the MPP is also updated at the same time. How about all of my additional batteries (3)? Do I have to install each one and re-install the new firmware?

Thanks

Any MP manufactured after Septemberish is in the same boat.

Are you 100% certain about that?

If you are, what are the likely versions of the app and fw for Honeyco's MP Alpine White that is shipping today?

Thank you.

Hey folks...strange thing happened last night. I fired up my MPP because I suspected there'd be a firmware upgrade to go along with the new release of Go 4. Sure enough, the app said my firmware needed to be upgraded...but before I clicked to upgrade, a dialog came up about "Precise Fly Safe" database updates. I clicked on that one and was taken to a validation screen about a mainland china phone number and access code. I couldn't get out of that screen loop. Going backwards would not get me back to the GO 4 main screen.

So I rebooted everything and started again, canceled out of the database update dialog and clicked on the firmware upgrade.

The firmware upgrade started, was at 1%, then Go 4 crashed out. The controller continued to flash "Updating", but nothing was on my Go 4.

I restarted Go 4 and it now comes up and says that the firmware is up to date. I'm dubious. Could the upgrade have continued to completion without Go 4 running? It also didn't take more than 5 minutes to do the complete upgrade...if that. The last time I updated the firmware, it took the better part of 20 minutes.

I'm frankly a little afraid to fly (not that the weather here in NY is going to let me fly anytime soon anyway). Everything looks right...I can use the app and set settings and I see video, etc. I'm just a little wary that the upgrade was "Partial".

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
\I can use the app and set settings....

From within the app, scroll down to "About" to see which versions of the various fw you have.

Alternatively, follow the video tutorial on the DJI website for using Assistant-2 with your MAC or PC.

Hey folks...strange thing happened last night. I fired up my MPP because I suspected there'd be a firmware upgrade to go along with the new release of Go 4. Sure enough, the app said my firmware needed to be upgraded...but before I clicked to upgrade, a dialog came up about "Precise Fly Safe" database updates. I clicked on that one and was taken to a validation screen about a mainland china phone number and access code. I couldn't get out of that screen loop. Going backwards would not get me back to the GO 4 main screen.

So I rebooted everything and started again, canceled out of the database update dialog and clicked on the firmware upgrade.

The firmware upgrade started, was at 1%, then Go 4 crashed out. The controller continued to flash "Updating", but nothing was on my Go 4.

I restarted Go 4 and it now comes up and says that the firmware is up to date. I'm dubious. Could the upgrade have continued to completion without Go 4 running? It also didn't take more than 5 minutes to do the complete upgrade...if that. The last time I updated the firmware, it took the better part of 20 minutes.

I'm frankly a little afraid to fly (not that the weather here in NY is going to let me fly anytime soon anyway). Everything looks right...I can use the app and set settings and I see video, etc. I'm just a little wary that the upgrade was "Partial".

Any thoughts?

You can get the versions on the "about" page in DJI Go 4, if you had problems with the firmware upgrade the versions would not have updated

I ended up redoing the updates using dji assistant on my pc. Aside from working, it was faster and fast more reliable. I think I'll upgrade thurs easy from now on!

Just my 2 cents,
If you are using an andriod or other inexpensive device, you may not want to update.
If you are an apple user, so far I have NEVER had an issue with updates.

Many problems that require older firmware are due to devices that have issues with the workload the go 4 app requires.
The other "problems" I have read about with later firmware is;
People dont like to be reminded that they are about to take off in a no fly zone.
People dont want to be restricted to the 1600ft height limit
People dont want to be limited in distance they can fly away from the controller.
People think that DJI is getting too much info from the software, and fear that they will lose their fortunes.

All mavics are built the same way, MANY have NO problems with staying updated. There are others that will blame problems on new firmware that only a few people suffer from. (see device problems) So it is really up to you. I wonder if warranty claims would be an issue when using old firmware?

Non updaters will now chastise me :D

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robqwe