DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First Drone Mavic Mini and Certification

demetrisv

Reactions
Im looking into purchasing my first drone the DJI Mavic Mini. I have spent the long weekend researching RPAS both the basic and advanced certification and what’s required for drones.

The Mavic Mini is a sub 250g drone therefore no registration or licensing required. Does that mean I am able to take it to local park and fly if I live downtown Toronto? I understand that this is controlled airspace but that rule is specific for drones between 250g and 25kg. As long as I’m not reckless I cannot see why this would be an issue unless a sign specifies no drone flying and not flying above 400ft etc.

I am also interested in gaining certification as I would like the credibility of being certified as eventually I would like to use the skill for commercial purposes. I am currently on a study permit in Canada which makes me a temporary resident in Canada but have every intention of getting permanent residency. It doesn’t specify that certification for a RPAS license is for citizens or permanent residents only. Only drone registrations which the Mavic Mini is not required.

I’d appreciate any feedback in order to fly safe as I want to do my due diligence and recommendations on how to proceed whether I would need the advanced certification to fly a sub 250g drone in controlled airspace. The rules state only for above the weight limit.

Anyone in Downtown Toronto, if there any meet-ups and enthusiast groups for drone flying, locations with no restrictions in and around Toronto would be great so I can go fly recreationally for now.

Thanks

Welcome to the forums - a lot of good info here. So, take a look around and hope you enjoy some of the fine photography and information posted by the members.

Welcome to our forum, from Texas.

You'll find that the Mini almost flies itself. This can lead to overconfidence. Try to be conservative at first, and expand your horizons gradually. The Mini, at only 249 grams, doesn't handle wind as well as the heavier drones do. On windy days it's best to fly the Mini so that you have a tail wind on the way back.

Read your manual (links below), and practice using "Find My Drone". Chances are you'll crash and perhaps lose your drone. Don't wait 'til that happens to try to learn under less than ideal conditions. We have over 100,000 members from around the world--including many in Toronto--who will help you learn your new hobby! I believe that most parks in the GTA are NFZ, but I'm not sure if that applies to sub 250 gram drones. Surely, some fellow Canadians will chime in and clarify TC regs for you. Ask for help when you need it. Share your work when you can!

Glad you've joined us!

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Mavic_Mini/20200212/Mavic_Mini_User_Manual_v1.0_EN.pdf

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Mavic_Mini/20200212/Mavic_Mini_User_Manual_v1.0_FR.pdf

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . ?

Im looking into purchasing my first drone the DJI Mavic Mini. I have spent the long weekend researching RPAS both the basic and advanced certification and what’s required for drones.

The Mavic Mini is a sub 250g drone therefore no registration or licensing required. Does that mean I am able to take it to local park and fly if I live downtown Toronto? I understand that this is controlled airspace but that rule is specific for drones between 250g and 25kg. As long as I’m not reckless I cannot see why this would be an issue unless a sign specifies no drone flying and not flying above 400ft etc.

I am also interested in gaining certification as I would like the credibility of being certified as eventually I would like to use the skill for commercial purposes. I am currently on a study permit in Canada which makes me a temporary resident in Canada but have every intention of getting permanent residency. It doesn’t specify that certification for a RPAS license is for citizens or permanent residents only. Only drone registrations which the Mavic Mini is not required.

I’d appreciate any feedback in order to fly safe as I want to do my due diligence and recommendations on how to proceed whether I would need the advanced certification to fly a sub 250g drone in controlled airspace. The rules state only for above the weight limit.

Anyone in Downtown Toronto, if there any meet-ups and enthusiast groups for drone flying, locations with no restrictions in and around Toronto would be great so I can go fly recreationally for now.

Thanks
I’m from calgary. I have a mini and already have a basic pilot cert and did register my mini even though its sub 249g. I’m new to drone also and as much as possible I wouldn’t fly to crowded place. Keep safe and enjoy. E8261376-2E58-4423-BA0B-A78977A2C719.png

I’m from calgary. I have a mini and already have a basic pilot cert and did register my mini even though its sub 249g. I’m new to drone also and as much as possible I wouldn’t fly to crowded place. Keep safe and enjoy. View attachment 109629
Welcome i had a mini but i wanted a ma2 so i sold it i regret selling it just make sure you get a wind app the mini dosent do well in high winds. But other than that it's awesome . take care and have fun flying

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78