DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First drone, thoughts one week in.

MisterMagoo

Reactions
The FAA really needs to look closer at their regulations.
I guess the drone operators over the last 5 years were such horse's arses that they overreacted.
After buying my drone I found out I wasn't more than 5 miles outside of an airport area.
Using the map at:
DJI - Fly Safe: No Fly Zones
I saw I was clear.
Well on startup I immediately received a warning I was within five miles of an airport. Turns out I have an unpaved runway about 1.5 miles away and about four heliports within five miles.
So legally I have to call every time I fly from my house.
This is where it gets stupid. My house is at 1000' ASL. Behind it is a large pond at 700'. That is where I will generally fly. So I am flying 300" below my house but I have to call all these entities every time.
In short, I will almost always be flying at an altitude lower than my house.
Here in NH we have lots of tall trees and lots of water. Anytime I fly below tree line I should certainly not be required to call. I know it's the law, it is just ridiculous.
I called the unpaved airport, talked to the guy and told him where I would generally be flying. He said no problem and told me I do not have to call unless I deviate from that pattern.
I called the heliports, left one message on voicemail, got two disconnected messages and left a message with someone at the last one (who seemed perplexed at why I was calling).
Very frustrating that most likely legally I cannot fly from my house until I am somehow able to track all these people down.
Is that really the case? Can a heliport (I have never seen a helicopter operating at low altitudes in my area) that is not reachable really keep me from using my drone?

Generally speaking it's a waste of time calling these "airports". As you noted most don't have a clue and in fact traffic is likely limited. I get it that "airports" represent a potential concentration of air traffic. In fact you usually get just a warning from the software - not an outright prohibition from flying. I had the same experience as you when I tried to call so I just don't bother anymore for reasons I will explain.
I have 2 heliports nearby at hospitals. Do I *ever* see those birds in my neighborhood? Nope - because they are dispatched usually to an auto crash and I'm not in the flight path to these roads. Plus they fly pretty high - not treetop skimmers. Notification is not a two way street - I was flying at 200' this weekend at a local scjhoolyard and I hear a prop getting louder. Here comes a Cessna dragging a banner and I bet he's not much higher than me! I decided landing was the smart thing to do. Where's the warning? What's his floor? We're always getting police and news choppers flying over our park - nothing to so with the two heliports nearby. So I'm unclear on what's the point of being aware of these piddly little airfields and heliports when the choppers and small aircraft can fly in from anywhere below the recommended ceiling for drones. Pretty much makes anywhere a potential to have an incident and not related to any wrongdoing on our part.

Generally speaking it's a waste of time calling these "airports". As you noted most don't have a clue and in fact traffic is likely limited. I get it that "airports" represent a potential concentration of air traffic. In fact you usually get just a warning from the software - not an outright prohibition from flying. I had the same experience as you when I tried to call so I just don't bother anymore for reasons I will explain.
I have 2 heliports nearby at hospitals. Do I *ever* see those birds in my neighborhood? Nope - because they are dispatched usually to an auto crash and I'm not in the flight path to these roads. Plus they fly pretty high - not treetop skimmers. Notification is not a two way street - I was flying at 200' this weekend at a local scjhoolyard and I hear a prop getting louder. Here comes a Cessna dragging a banner and I bet he's not much higher than me! I decided landing was the smart thing to do. Where's the warning? What's his floor? We're always getting police and news choppers flying over our park - nothing to so with the two heliports nearby. So I'm unclear on what's the point of being aware of these piddly little airfields and heliports when the choppers and small aircraft can fly in from anywhere below the recommended ceiling for drones. Pretty much makes anywhere a potential to have an incident and not related to any wrongdoing on our part.
The certificated pilolts flying in and out of those small airfields are trained aviators, not somebody with a toy, two joysticks and little to no knowledge of aviation.
Those small airfields are often used by pilots to practice emergency procedures such as engine failure or fire, procedures that cannot be safely practiced at larger, towered airports.
Pilots are not required to give any warning or notification to somebody playing with a toy. However, we are required to use either a UNICOM frequency or CTAF 122.75 to broadcast our intentions to other aircraft at non-towered airports. Get a radio scanner and listen in. That way you would know of aircraft in the area and their intentions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: MrsTreat
Instead of being a jerk about it you might try reading for comprehension or at least attempt understanding a different point of view. I'm not referring to strips with even light traffic. I was referring to these little strips that see ZERO traffic weeks on end. Some of these strips are when the locals used to have crop dusters and such land. That's why you get a recorded message because the things are unmanned. Likely the only reason they have an answering machine is some requirement.
Then there's banks and insurance companies that have helipads on top of their buildings for when bigwigs want to drop in. So given they're just shuttling from the real airport to a high rise - why would they care that you're flying in a park 4 miles away?
If it was such a big deal flying around these remote air strips then to my mind they would be familiar with someone requesting permission to fly. But no - they don't have a clue why you're calling IF you get someone on the line.
Seems to me folks that are actual pilots have a chip on their shoulder and like to act like that somehow makes them more entitled. Sorry I disagree. Just like the airwaves there is airspace shared with hobbyists. Get used to it. Just because you have a license to fly a "real" plane doesn't mean you can or should fly wherever you darn well please. I would expect given the general hysteria about drones if a pilot is scared of them he'd be cautious flying around obvious places he might encounter one - you know, that mutual respect thing.

Reactions: Rogue.Aircraft
Got a call back from one of the heliports, he told me it is inactive. I think that Brojan is generally correct. The two heliports with disconnected numbers are likely no longer active as well. I have talked to the one operator of a airport, he has told me my location is not a problem. One other heliport is basically right at 5 miles away and I asked to talk to the operator, he isn't there.
I believe my due diligence is met.
Danman999, you have to admit, skimming along a marsh, below tree line, should not require coordination with an airport.
There should be an exemption that says if a drone is below the nearest obstruction no call is necessary.
Like I said, my drone is -250 feet when I am above my nearby pond.

Instead of being a jerk about it you might try reading for comprehension or at least attempt understanding a different point of view. I'm not referring to strips with even light traffic. I was referring to these little strips that see ZERO traffic weeks on end. Some of these strips are when the locals used to have crop dusters and such land. That's why you get a recorded message because the things are unmanned. Likely the only reason they have an answering machine is some requirement.
Then there's banks and insurance companies that have helipads on top of their buildings for when bigwigs want to drop in. So given they're just shuttling from the real airport to a high rise - why would they care that you're flying in a park 4 miles away?
If it was such a big deal flying around these remote air strips then to my mind they would be familiar with someone requesting permission to fly. But no - they don't have a clue why you're calling IF you get someone on the line.
Seems to me folks that are actual pilots have a chip on their shoulder and like to act like that somehow makes them more entitled. Sorry I disagree. Just like the airwaves there is airspace shared with hobbyists. Get used to it. Just because you have a license to fly a "real" plane doesn't mean you can or should fly wherever you darn well please. I would expect given the general hysteria about drones if a pilot is scared of them he'd be cautious flying around obvious places he might encounter one - you know, that mutual respect thing.

Don't see anyone being required to call an airport to fly a kite at 500 feet no mater where they are.
I'm a retired Center controller, I know I"m superior to anybody is a single engine Cessna. :)

Reactions: Brojon
By teh way - you'll note my concerns with news and police choppers flying well below 400 ft in residential areas. The cops I get - why news reporters? So is there going to be a general drones are bad because some guy runs into a Mavic flying perfectly legal at 300 ft at a park?

Reactions: Rogue.Aircraft
Don't see anyone being required to call an airport to fly a kite at 500 feet no mater where they are.
I'm a retired Center controller, I know I"m superior to anybody is a single engine Cessna. :)
Hey I made one of those once - a ginormous box kite I tried to fly off of Mt Tamalpais in California. It got quite high...

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78