DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First Flight Problem with Mavic Pro

Kncues

Reactions
Hello everyone. This is my first post to the forum so let's see how it goes. LOL

I just bought my new Mavic Pro with fly more combo six days ago at Best Buy and was very excited to finally get one. I got it home and read the manual cover to cover, flew the simulator and watched many video tutorials. After 5 days of studying, I finally felt comfortable enough to take it out for a first flight yesterday morning. Got all set up and everything looked good, so I tapped auto takeoff, with both sticks neutral. It went up less than two feet and started spinning counterclockwise at a pretty rapid rate, I'm estimating maybe 60 to 80 rpm. It then tilted to maybe 30 degrees and came back down about 6 feet from the takeoff point. The whole flight lasted about 3 seconds. Luckily it was on grass and didn't seem to damage anything at all. However, I won't be attempting another flight until I resolve the problem, whether it is something I did, or an equipment malfunction.

When powering up the remote controller and the Mavic, everything seems normal with the LCD screen and Go 4 App telling me it's ready to go. But if you open the Aircraft Status there's a IMU error.

I've gone through re-calibrations of the remote controller, compass and IMU.

The remote controller won't fully calibrate as it only reaches 84 percent in the extreme lower left corner of the left stick. Everything else is good except that lower left corner, and I can't calibrate the slider because it won't get that far into the process.

The compass calibrates as it should.

The IMU refuses to calibrate. I go through the process and is says calibration complete, with two choices, [Cancel] or [Restart]. If you select [Restart] the AC restarts, but the IMU error is still there when it's finished booting. Also there is a persistent Gyro1 Data Error that has never gone away. I'm thinking that could be the problem, but just a guess on my part.

I'm using an iPhone 6+ and the DJI Go 4 app. Also tried everything with a iPad 9.7 with results exactly the same as the phone.

I used DJI Assistant 2 v1.2.3 to export the black box data. Not sure how that should be handled, but it's in a folder on my iMac if/when needed.

Thanks in advance for any assistance that might help this beginner.

Here's a few screen shots of my that might help.
IMG_2071.PNG IMG_2068.PNG

IMG_2069.PNG

Hello everyone. This is my first post to the forum so let's see how it goes. LOL

I just bought my new Mavic Pro with fly more combo six days ago at Best Buy and was very excited to finally get one. I got it home and read the manual cover to cover, flew the simulator and watched many video tutorials. After 5 days of studying, I finally felt comfortable enough to take it out for a first flight yesterday morning. Got all set up and everything looked good, so I tapped auto takeoff, with both sticks neutral. It went up less than two feet and started spinning counterclockwise at a pretty rapid rate, I'm estimating maybe 60 to 80 rpm. It then tilted to maybe 30 degrees and came back down about 6 feet from the takeoff point. The whole flight lasted about 3 seconds. Luckily it was on grass and didn't seem to damage anything at all. However, I won't be attempting another flight until I resolve the problem, whether it is something I did, or an equipment malfunction.

When powering up the remote controller and the Mavic, everything seems normal with the LCD screen and Go 4 App telling me it's ready to go. But if you open the Aircraft Status there's a IMU error.

I've gone through re-calibrations of the remote controller, compass and IMU.

The remote controller won't fully calibrate as it only reaches 84 percent in the extreme lower left corner of the left stick. Everything else is good except that lower left corner, and I can't calibrate the slider because it won't get that far into the process.

The compass calibrates as it should.

The IMU refuses to calibrate. I go through the process and is says calibration complete, with two choices, [Cancel] or [Restart]. If you select [Restart] the AC restarts, but the IMU error is still there when it's finished booting. Also there is a persistent Gyro1 Data Error that has never gone away. I'm thinking that could be the problem, but just a guess on my part.

I'm using an iPhone 6+ and the DJI Go 4 app. Also tried everything with a iPad 9.7 with results exactly the same as the phone.

I used DJI Assistant 2 v1.2.3 to export the black box data. Not sure how that should be handled, but it's in a folder on my iMac if/when needed.

Thanks in advance for any assistance that might help this beginner.

Here's a few screen shots of my that might help.
View attachment 37722 View attachment 37724

View attachment 37723
IMU error, was this calibrated prior to flying it? Compass looks OK.

Reactions: Kncues
IMU error, was this calibrated prior to flying it? Compass looks OK.
I did not check or calibrate the IMU before the first flight. Since the Go 4 app and the RC LCD display both said ready to go, I never thought about checking for IMU errors prior to the first flight. The Gyro [no data] error has me more concerned than anything.

I did not check or calibrate the IMU before the first flight. Since the Go 4 app and the RC LCD display both said ready to go, I never thought about checking for IMU errors prior to the first flight. The Gyro [no data] error has me more concerned than anything.

As mentioned in the other thread, IMU 1 rate gyro is broken. That's almost certainly a hardware failure.

As mentioned in the other thread, IMU 1 rate gyro is broken. That's almost certainly a hardware failure.
You are absolutely right... I had never calibrated the IMU in my Mavic and never experienced this issue. It's definitely something wrong with the OP Mavic.

Sorry, I should have followed up on this days ago. I took it back to Best Buy and their Mavic guy agreed that there was a problem with the gyro, and gave me a new Mavic Pro. I have had it out twice now, and it flies perfectly. Great stills and videos. Very pleased with the Mavic Pro and the great service at Best Buy. Couldn't be happier. Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

Yeah Best Buy is pretty good I returned my spark because it would not calibrate compass,but they only have a 15 day return policy,this is the exact reason I prefer to buy big ticket things locally.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HCholdings