DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First M3 Flight, coming from M2P

Coskier

Reactions
Well, just did my first flight with the M3. I am coming from an M2P that I only flew with the SC, and a Mavic Air before that. These are initial thoughts, and I haven't taken a moment to retouch the raw pics that came out of it. I did load some of the JPGs from the telephoto lens though, and they are below. I only did stills, no video yet. So here are my initial, gut reactions (this was an unscripted test, especially around the photos, so keep that in mind):

Pre Startup
  • Feels slightly lighter than the M2P, though the metrics show they are pretty close.
  • LOVE the "bra" for the gimbal and blades. So much easier than mucking around with the gimbal protector on the M2P. Coupled with the overpriced FMC bag, I may not need a different case, for my uses (YMMV).
  • Overpriced FMC bag is actually pretty nice and a definite step up from FMC bags of the past. Not sure it is worth $300, but I did buy the combo, so there it is. I think it will fit nicely on one side of my roller carry-on, which suits my needs perfectly.
  • The controller with my phone attached is crazy light, feels like a toy. Curious to see what it will feel like with the Tripltek on it. Pretty sure I will forgo the RC Pro, given the way they handled things on the SC.
  • The SD card access kinda sucks. Like all the way back to the Mavic Air sucks. Need to do the tape trick again - it worked great on the MA, didn't need it on the M2P.
Post Startup
  • On the ground it is definitely more quiet. In the air, I feel like I could hear it for a good long ways, so that's probably a draw vs M2P.
  • Range is crazy impressive. Against both the M2P and my DJI FPV, I kept a solid signal well past the point the others would have had interference. I am not going to go into range's, I'm not a distance hound, I just wanted to go see some things.
  • The telephoto worked for what I inferred was the intended purpose (based on the binocs for an icon) - I saw a plume of smoke in the distance, and with the tele, I was able to see if it was interesting enough to fly over there. So yeah, it's good for scouting. And maybe that's all the intended it for. The JPG's below were actually shot with the tele, and are straight out of camera, so you can make your own decisions about that. But I do see a use as opposed to all the "this camera is worthless" statements being made. Of course, being on the M2P, I didn't have zoom anyway, so it's not hurting me to not have it here anyhow.
  • The battery run time - OMG, yes. When I am just out playing, I can totally see myself using all 3 batteries. It was AWESOME to do everything I did today in about 30 mins on one battery, without having to come back and change out. Totally worth it for me. Having that kind of time in the air, I can spend more time working on composition to get the right shot. Or I can shoot a bunch from a bunch of different angles. Could I be more efficient? Probably. Do I care? No, this is fun.
  • Using the phone was OK (took me back to the Mavic Air days), but I miss the heft of the SC, and everything being under my thumbs. Will I adapt - of course. And the heft of the Tripltek should help.
  • Flew like a dream. Only did Sport and Normal modes, didn't try Cine yet (the new name for Tripod or whatever).
  • I'll post edited RAW's when I get some time to play with them in Lightroom.

Conclusion - I like it, and I don't have buyers remorse. Hoping for some killer beach sunrise shots on Saturday.

Here are the JPGs. It's a new restaurant being built on the river by my house. Click on the pic to go to the Flickr page for the photo if you want to see bigger versions or the EXIF info.

I'm curious as to the max speed of the Cine mode. As you know the M2P has a tripod mode and the max speed is about 2.5mph. The cine mode on the Air2s is 11mph and 13mph with the Mini 2. I find stick control of the cine mode on the Mini 2 too abrupt to fly in super tight spaces, particularly when it is flying through its own vorces, like in a narrow hallway or doorway. While the Mini 2 is smaller than the M2, making it logically more suitable for flying in close spaces indoors, I find the M2 much easier to handle without having to "power through" things like the Mini 2 so I don't lose control.

I'm curious as to the max speed of the Cine mode. As you know the M2P has a tripod mode and the max speed is about 2.5mph. The cine mode on the Air2s is 11mph and 13mph with the Mini 2. I find stick control of the cine mode on the Mini 2 too abrupt to fly in super tight spaces, particularly when it is flying through its own vorces, like in a narrow hallway or doorway. While the Mini 2 is smaller than the M2, making it logically more suitable for flying in close spaces indoors, I find the M2 much easier to handle without having to "power through" things like the Mini 2 so I don't lose control.
I'll put it up in the air tomorrow and let you know.

The SD card is a set back which is why I am leaving it in and using the cable . but what is the Tape Trick, ?

Do you have 4k 120 frames is the C4K ?

RE: The bag cost. I too think the DJI bag is overpriced at $319 USD or whatever retail is, but the 'bag' market in general these days is insane. I don't have a great sense for what they cost to produce or develop, but you can very easily find camera/drone bags that cost $600-1000 USD.

Nice first impressions review. Thanks for sharing.

The SD card is a set back which is why I am leaving it in and using the cable . but what is the Tape Trick, ?

Tape trick:

I haven't shot video yet.

RE: The bag cost. I too think the DJI bag is overpriced at $319 USD or whatever retail is, but the 'bag' market in general these days is insane. I don't have a great sense for what they cost to produce or develop, but you can very easily find camera/drone bags that cost $600-1000 USD.
I'll try to do a video or something to show how it works. Still not $300 in my mind, but not junk either. The M2P bag was pretty useless in my mind.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Overpriced FMC bag is actually pretty nice and a definite step up from FMC bags of the past. Not sure it is worth $300, but I did buy the combo, so there it is.
Can you take some photos of the bag opened up, showing the compartments and how things are accessed? I agree $300 is high, but I don't mind paying more if it's a good bag. I'm pretty particular on backpacks. Zippers must work smooth as glass. Compartments must be configurable to hold more than just my drone stuff. Everything must be accessible quickly. It can't be too big or heavy either. After buying backpacks over the last 6 years for 6 different drones, I've become pretty particular.

Reactions: Coskier and zeusfl
Can you take some photos of the bag opened up, showing the compartments and how things are accessed? I agree $300 is high, but I don't mind paying more if it's a good bag. I'm pretty particular on backpacks. Zippers must work smooth as glass. Compartments must be configurable to hold more than just my drone stuff. Everything must be accessible quickly. It can't be too big or heavy either. After buying backpacks over the last 6 years for 6 different drones, I've become pretty particular.
I'll do a video and pics. I fiddled with it last night to get a feel for it. It's not like any other bag I have really had (and I have had several camera bags over the years).

More pics below, these are the edits I made to some of the RAW files, using Lightroom on the iPad. As before, if you want to see larger versions or the EXIF info, click on the pic to go to Flickr. I can also make DNGs available if anyone wants them.

Well, just did my first flight with the M3. I am coming from an M2P that I only flew with the SC, and a Mavic Air before that. These are initial thoughts, and I haven't taken a moment to retouch the raw pics that came out of it. I did load some of the JPGs from the telephoto lens though, and they are below. I only did stills, no video yet. So here are my initial, gut reactions (this was an unscripted test, especially around the photos, so keep that in mind):

Pre Startup
  • Feels slightly lighter than the M2P, though the metrics show they are pretty close.
  • LOVE the "bra" for the gimbal and blades. So much easier than mucking around with the gimbal protector on the M2P. Coupled with the overpriced FMC bag, I may not need a different case, for my uses (YMMV).
  • Overpriced FMC bag is actually pretty nice and a definite step up from FMC bags of the past. Not sure it is worth $300, but I did buy the combo, so there it is. I think it will fit nicely on one side of my roller carry-on, which suits my needs perfectly.
  • The controller with my phone attached is crazy light, feels like a toy. Curious to see what it will feel like with the Tripltek on it. Pretty sure I will forgo the RC Pro, given the way they handled things on the SC.
  • The SD card access kinda sucks. Like all the way back to the Mavic Air sucks. Need to do the tape trick again - it worked great on the MA, didn't need it on the M2P.
Post Startup
  • On the ground it is definitely more quiet. In the air, I feel like I could hear it for a good long ways, so that's probably a draw vs M2P.
  • Range is crazy impressive. Against both the M2P and my DJI FPV, I kept a solid signal well past the point the others would have had interference. I am not going to go into range's, I'm not a distance hound, I just wanted to go see some things.
  • The telephoto worked for what I inferred was the intended purpose (based on the binocs for an icon) - I saw a plume of smoke in the distance, and with the tele, I was able to see if it was interesting enough to fly over there. So yeah, it's good for scouting. And maybe that's all the intended it for. The JPG's below were actually shot with the tele, and are straight out of camera, so you can make your own decisions about that. But I do see a use as opposed to all the "this camera is worthless" statements being made. Of course, being on the M2P, I didn't have zoom anyway, so it's not hurting me to not have it here anyhow.
  • The battery run time - OMG, yes. When I am just out playing, I can totally see myself using all 3 batteries. It was AWESOME to do everything I did today in about 30 mins on one battery, without having to come back and change out. Totally worth it for me. Having that kind of time in the air, I can spend more time working on composition to get the right shot. Or I can shoot a bunch from a bunch of different angles. Could I be more efficient? Probably. Do I care? No, this is fun.
  • Using the phone was OK (took me back to the Mavic Air days), but I miss the heft of the SC, and everything being under my thumbs. Will I adapt - of course. And the heft of the Tripltek should help.
  • Flew like a dream. Only did Sport and Normal modes, didn't try Cine yet (the new name for Tripod or whatever).
  • I'll post edited RAW's when I get some time to play with them in Lightroom.

Conclusion - I like it, and I don't have buyers remorse. Hoping for some killer beach sunrise shots on Saturday.

Here are the JPGs. It's a new restaurant being built on the river by my house. Click on the pic to go to the Flickr page for the photo if you want to see bigger versions or the EXIF info.

nice....love your photos....I cannot wait to get mines.

I have a hemostat that I use for removing the microSD card. I use the tip to push in then can grab it securely to extract it and insert it into the SD adaptor.

The user’s manual (pg 57) shows the max speed in each mode. For Cine it lists 5m/sec.
Thanks. Translated for Americans, that's 11.2mph.
What I can tell you from my experience with the Mini 2, which shares the same controller, the stick input has some flaws. It does not have an even command, and also has, as I and others with the Mini 2, dead spots. Hopefully Ocusync 3 or whatever they're calling it has reduced the lag time which exacerbates precise movement with the Mini 2. While 2.5mph of the "tripod mode" of the M2 might be a little on the slow side, at least it is controllable extremely precisely. To me, that basic controller is a real turn-off considering the price hike of the M3 when comparing to the M2 controller. JMO

For my antique Mavic Air 1 there was a setting in Go4 for Exp to reduce the sensitivity of the controls. I took this to the lowest settings for the smoothest control.

For the Mavic 3 I have read the user manual and see no mention of the Exp settings. Hopefully this is still there and I have missed it. Or, they just replaced this with Cine mode.

Awesome, thanks for sharing

I love the bag, just great. 100% cotton and quite subdued design. In contrast to the hi-tech aircraft inside. My only complaint about the bag: not perfect fit for the SC Pro, as you have in some other brand bags.

Reactions: CanadaDrone
I love the bag, just great. 100% cotton and quite subdued design. In contrast to the hi-tech aircraft inside. My only complaint about the bag: not perfect fit for the SC Pro, as you have in some other brand bags.

It does appear to be a well thought out bag with good construction. Glad you're happy with it Thumbswayup

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
devilsown