DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First time I’ve seen this warning

Howcroft22

Reactions
5EF6989F-068F-4477-93E7-561EA5F99241.png I didn’t have a good landing spot where I was and was running low on battery. The wind started really picking up so i decided to land on my tundra. This message appears. Anyone else seen it before? Usually if I try and take off from my truck it’s a compass warning not ultrasonic. I should add it came up the second I touched down on my roof.

View attachment 28669 I didn’t have a good landing spot where I was and was running low on battery. The wind started really picking up so i decided to land on my tundra. This message appears. Anyone else seen it before? Usually if I try and take off from my truck it’s a compass warning not ultrasonic. I should add it came up the second I touched down on my roof.

Snow or water on the ultrasonics, carry a small dry cloth and give them a gentle wipe, or the board has developed moisture maybe

Snow or water on the ultrasonics, carry a small dry cloth and give them a gentle wipe, or the board has developed moisture maybe

Could be. But it wasn’t raining. And it didn’t happen until I touched down. Also it may be from the sensors touching the roof of my truck. The roof is convexed so it may have been touching the sensors. I think that’s a thin theory though.

Could be. But it wasn’t raining. And it didn’t happen until I touched down. Also it may be from the sensors touching the roof of my truck. The roof is convexed so it may have been touching the sensors. I think that’s a thin theory though.
It's very possible the roof was deflecting the sound in someone. One sensor makes sound, the other listens for the echo. The echo wasn't being picked up probably.

Also, smoothness of the roof and it's reflectivity could be a cause. Get a landing pad. And the compass warning could be a result of the metal roof.

I have one. We just went from sub zero for and snowstorms for a few weeks to almost 60 degrees over night for 2 days. Everything turned into a mud pit so I didn’t want to put the pad in the mud. Also I had a boat dock I was going to land on which is where my home point was stored. but the wind picked up drastically and I would have had to fly over trees to get back to it especially with the low battery. I’ve landed in the back of my pickup and on the hood many times with no issues. I tried the roof this time because it was the biggest area on the vehicle. Today I’ll be using my landing pad for sure.

There are several threads about this, including one of mine a few weeks ago.

It is definitely the bottom sensors being affected in some fashion.

In my case, I had an aftermarket landing gear on (the one’s with the spring). This gear was interfering with the sensors. When I removed them, it all went away.

Your sensors could need calibration as well. Make sure they are clean.

DJI told me to turn off the sensors or fly in sports mode. This did not help.

There are several threads about this, including one of mine a few weeks ago.

It is definitely the bottom sensors being affected in some fashion.

In my case, I had an aftermarket landing gear on (the one’s with the spring). This gear was interfering with the sensors. When I removed them, it all went away.

Your sensors could need calibration as well. Make sure they are clean.

DJI told me to turn off the sensors or fly in sports mode. This did not help.

Only got the warning that one time. Never saw it again.

I get compass warnings and errors when taking up or landong on car roofs all the time. The reflectivity of the roof should be the case though loght and sound reflections on that particular roof and in general are and cannot be the same...

... I should add it came up the second I touched down on my roof.
Its funny that a warning telling you to land asap shows up after you landed:rolleyes:. You could try landing on your truck again and if the warning shows up you will know the cause.

If there is no suitable takoff/landing spot I just hand launch/land. It is easy if you turn off the downward sensors.

Its funny that a warning telling you to land asap shows up after you landed:rolleyes:. You could try landing on your truck again and if the warning shows up you will know the cause.

If there is no suitable takoff/landing spot I just hand launch/land. It is easy if you turn off the downward sensors.

You don't even need to turn off the sensors to do that. I don't

You don't even need to turn off the sensors to do that. I don't
With the downward sensors on the Mavic will rev up and try to climb away from your hand. With the sensors off it will just sit there. In fact, if you grab it and lift it up, the props really slow down. The sensors off just makes for a less stressful event.

With the downward sensors on the Mavic will rev up and try to climb away from your hand. With the sensors off it will just sit there. In fact, if you grab it and lift it up, the props really slow down. The sensors off just makes for a less stressful event.
I just hold my hand out and the throttle down for 3 seconds, it lands right in your hand and shuts down.

I had this warning with my Spark, I was flying in fog and no way of shifting down the VPS downward sensors..so I received this warning..,i also had major magnetic interference at the same time for no reason but again I blame the fog., I should not have been flying in the fog...mind you , never had a problem with my MAVIC..

That happened to me for the first time this morning. It started drizzling on a warm and humid morning so I RTH straight away, the ultrasonic warning came on as I was landing.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arbee