DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First UK conviction for reckless drone flying

zocalo

Reactions
According to The Register the UK has it's first prosecution for reckless drone flying, apparently for flying a drone underneath a police helicopter that was engaged in a search operation and presumably beyond VLOS (the pilot admitted to using FPV to fly the drone). From the article:

"Miaun was found guilty on two counts of breaching the Air Navigation Order: one of breaching article 94(3), which states pilots of small unmanned aircraft "must maintain direct, unaided visual contact with the aircraft sufficient to monitor its flight path in relation to other aircraft"; and one charge under article 94(2), which states: "The person in charge of a small unmanned aircraft may only fly the aircraft if reasonably satisfied that the flight can safely be made."

Magistrates ordered Miaun to pay a total of £464, including a fine of £184, court costs of £250 and a £30 victim surcharge tax, as well as confiscating the £900 drone itself. The maximum fine for these breaches is £2,500."

Hopefully a wake-up call to at least some of the other irresponsible fliers out there, but I'm sure he won't be the last.

Now you all know my 1st name.. got to change it again via deed poll;)

That’s bad news, deserves everything he got, should’ve been a higher fine in my eyes but that’s just me.;)

Reactions: Turn11 and Carl36
Good for them. It makes no sense to have rules and not enforce them. Fines $+ confiscated drone $ = OOOOPS!

Reactions: Turn11
Formerly a criminal defense lawyer. Nearly 100% of my clients who had committed a crime didn’t think they would ever be caught. I suspect most who violate drone rules feel the same way and probably with reason. Too many violators too few cops to be everywhere. Still good to publicize cases such as this. May discourage some people from obvious situations

Formerly a criminal defense lawyer. Nearly 100% of my clients who had committed a crime didn’t think they would ever be caught. I suspect most who violate drone rules feel the same way and probably with reason. Too many violators too few cops to be everywhere. Still good to publicize cases such as this. May discourage some people from obvious situations
That's why each and everyone of us should be observant and report the violators.

Just for the record, this was NOT the first conviction in the UK, just the first time for interfering with POLICE.
This was ONE of the first convictions, and was in 2014;

UK's first drone conviction will bankrupt me, says Cumbrian man
Robert Knowles has been convicted for 'dangerous' use of recreational drone after he lost control of the aircraft near a nuclear submarine facility
A TV-repair shop owner who has become the first person convicted in the UK for "dangerously" flying a drone says the fine and legal costs will bankrupt him.

Robert Knowles, 46, of Barrow-in-Furness, was fined £800 and ordered to pay costs of £3,500 at the Furness and District Magistrate court on Tuesday after being prosecuted by the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA). He pleaded guilty to flying a small unmanned surveillance aircraft within 50 metres of a structure – the Jubilee Bridge on the Walney channel – and flying over a nuclear installation, the BAE System submarine-testing facility.

With this, be mindful of where and what you are doing. The only difference between some of us and these convicted people is that THEY were caught. Keep that in mind while you are putting your name and contact info on your drone itself!

Just for the record, this was NOT the first conviction in the UK, just the first time for interfering with POLICE.
This was ONE of the first convictions, and was in 2014;

UK's first drone conviction will bankrupt me, says Cumbrian man
Robert Knowles has been convicted for 'dangerous' use of recreational drone after he lost control of the aircraft near a nuclear submarine facility
A TV-repair shop owner who has become the first person convicted in the UK for "dangerously" flying a drone says the fine and legal costs will bankrupt him.

Robert Knowles, 46, of Barrow-in-Furness, was fined £800 and ordered to pay costs of £3,500 at the Furness and District Magistrate court on Tuesday after being prosecuted by the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA). He pleaded guilty to flying a small unmanned surveillance aircraft within 50 metres of a structure – the Jubilee Bridge on the Walney channel – and flying over a nuclear installation, the BAE System submarine-testing facility.

With this, be mindful of where and what you are doing. The only difference between some of us and these convicted people is that THEY were caught. Keep that in mind while you are putting your name and contact info on your drone itself!

Thanks for publishing my name again....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kquach229