DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First week with Mavic Pro. My experience and questions

golfpilot

Reactions
I have had the Mavic Pro for 7 days now. In that time I have flown 5.5 hours and 200,000 feet over 35 flights in 8 different locations. I am slowly getting more comfortable with its range and abilities but feel like I have barely touched the drone's capabilities.

Couple things I haven't figured out but want to
1. Can't get the drone to track my dog. It is a 20 pound, blonde, dog and even in a wide open green field, it can't stay on her with the active track. Any suggestions on how to do that?
2. Terrain follow. Two locations I have been and will be flying often have ~1500' hills 1-2 miles away. Trying to stay within 400 feet of the ground while going up or down these basically requires me to staircase the hills. There is an airport within 5-10 miles (class D) of both locations and they are areas where planes fly lower than 500 AGL at the tops (since they are landing and need to descend fairly fast to land) so staying legal here is pretty crucial. It would be nice to have it track up the side of the hill at 100 AGL or so but can't get that feature to work. Is that too high?
3. I have been using parks or my own property as launch sites. The only time I asked for permission was from a golf course. They said fine but try not to catch any attention so I flew mostly along the perimeter at higher altitudes. I will be doing a lot of pictures on golf courses and am considering getting the platinum props to help quiet the drone a tad. Sort of kicking myself her for not spending the extra money on the platinum for this purpose but it probably will only be an issue if I linger low on someone having a bad day.
4. Does anybody have a suggestion for an Iphone 8+ case that will fit on this controller?
5. Extra accessories. I have ordered lenses for the drone to serve three purposes. One, when I go through a family of bugs the lens gets dirty, two I am noticing pretty substantial sun glare and I am hoping the lenses will help with that a little. Three, hopefully, the filter will help with prop distortion a little bit. They work in manned airplanes so I figure they will here too. I also ordered a controller stick lock as I have been using the foam it came with to keep it secure and it is a tight fit in the case. I also have ordered a 1 piece gimbal clamp/cover.

So far I am stoked with the way this thing is flying. Learned how to take and stitch the panorama pictures yesterday! Need to learn how to shoot better videos that aren't boring!

Reactions: Former Member
Glad your are using and enjoying your Mavic. I have an MPP and have really been enthused to use it for my still photography. I have an iPhone X and did not want to remove its case so I use the PolarPro Remote Phone Mount.

https://www.amazon.com/PolarPro-Mav...8&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=polarpro+phone+holder

It uses the lower USB port, which I think is more reliable than the crazy clip system on the left side of the RC. It doesn't interfere with the antennas, and it takes all of two seconds to clip onto the remote. The one piece gimbal clamp covers also work well... the two piece system DJI provides is just not as good as these aftermarket one piece clamps. Happy flying!!

Reactions: golfpilot
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman