DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flight distance from a refinery

Hbr/fly-air2

Reactions
Hi I live in Crockett Ca there are several refineries around. How close can fly to them? How many miles air space from them?

You need to look at something like Kittyhawk or AirMap to determine the airspace for each facility. There is no set distance from a refinery unless it's "Sensitive Infrastructure" and then you need to remain clear of it. You need to look at the map and it should tell you what you need to know for the area you're questioning.

Reactions: Thomas B
The FAA B4UFLY application map does not show any restrictions in the area around the refinery's near Crockett.

I would do two things. 1) Check the sectional charts for FAA restrictions. A good source for the charts is skyvector.com, which will also show any TFRs. If you haven't looked at sectional charts before, there will be some learning involved. But IMHO, being able to read the charts is an essential skill for any drone pilot. 2.) Check for state and local drone laws. I use uavcoach.com. For California, Drone Laws in California (2020) - UAV Coach. This will tell you local laws about where landings and takeoffs are prohibited. Even if neither of these sources indicates a flight prohibition, you may also run into security guards or police who make up their own rules.

Hiya..you're well clear of the SFO class B so that's no problem. The Concord KCCR is to the east but the center line of the runways are well to the east of you..It looks like you're in good shape for lots of flying. Isn't the Carquinez Bridge the one that makes all the noise when you cross it? I think it did when I was young...a couple of years ago. How bout the Mothball fleet..that would be something neat to look at.CCR area.PNG

Thanks, yes the bridge sings. I live close to it and here it often. The moth ball fleet is pretty fare away from land for me as a beginner. I’m going to stay close to shore and land for a while.

You can never forget that sound. I was born in Sacramento and we used to cross that bridge going to San Francisco..in the 40''s..yikes! ;)

Hey Guys...I’ll chime in:

Crockett is a well-known area for drone flyers, with a scenic waterfront, overlook areas near the bridges, and the nearby refineries. You needn’t fly over refinery property to get views and capture images. The 3D mapping company, Hivemapper, actually features Crockett in one of their instructional videos.

I‘ve flown from this spot at sunset and enjoyed the lighting. Now that the wildfire smoke has subsided (for now), it should be a great spot once again. Have fun!

Hey Guys...I’ll chime in:

Crockett is a well-known area for drone flyers, with a scenic waterfront, overlook areas near the bridges, and the nearby refineries. You needn’t fly over refinery property to get views and capture images. The 3D mapping company, Hivemapper, actually features Crockett in one of their instructional videos.

I‘ve flown from this spot at sunset and enjoyed the lighting. Now that the wildfire smoke has subsided (for now), it should be a great spot once again. Have fun!

Thanks we’re do you take off and land from?

The Crockett vista point will get the refinery views if you flew up to 300+ feet, but you can always park at the Cummings Skyway exit and fly from there, too.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78