DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying and RTH

palentir

Reactions
I set my RTH to 30M, and fly the drone all over the place, and go to use the RTH and the drone will simply climb to max altitude and won't return, just simply hits max altitude and warns me. The first dozen or so times I flew, I used the RTH and it worked flawlessly within a few feet of my landing site, however after a few firmware updates it has stopped working.

Not sure if something got reset, but I always before taking off set my home site, and then hover around 30 ft, and take a pic straight down.

The sensors are calibrated, but it doesn't want to come home which forces me to cancel the RTH, and manually return the drone home...

Any idea of what I am missing??

To add to this, I don't take off till the controller shows GPS mode, in case that helps diagnose things.

the firmware update is known to reset settings,,sounds like its set to hover now

the firmware update is known to reset settings,,sounds like its set to hover now
Any direction as to where that setting may be found, and corrected, I have all day tomorrow to fly and want to make sure its working well as my daughter and I fly it and I want her to feel comfortable using that feature in case she is unsure.

Any idea of what I am missing??
Did your flight logs reveal anything? If you haven't checked, you can upload and view them online here. If you'd like other people to review and comment on them, then please post a link back here after you upload them.

Reactions: picturememiami
As of now the RTH height is set to 30M, and when RTH is sent, it simply goes to max height of 398 ft and never comes back.

"11m 46.9s Go Home 19satellites 289.4ft N/A 0mph 1,232.1ft 44% 11.205V 3.735V 3.735V 3.735V 0V RTH: Ascending to avoid obstacle"

That looks to be your problem. Are you returning home with the front of the drone facing the sun? The sensors are picking up some sort obstacle, it appears to keep trying to ascend to avoid the imaginary obstacle, then it gives up when it reaches max altitude.

This is also the very reason I want to figure out how to turn off the sensors in RTH mode.

Dunno! I note usually when HP is set, it gives an altitude. Not in this case. And what the center sticks and braking is I have no idea?!

The default value is RTH. And if it was set to hover it would not shoot up to max height (unless it was set like that).

Are you returning home with the front of the drone facing the sun? The sensors are picking up some sort obstacle, it appears to keep trying to ascend to avoid the imaginary obstacle, then it gives up when it reaches max altitude.
Yes, that appears to be the issue.

@palentir, are you able to reproduce this behavior when your Mavic is facing away from the sun while returning home?

Yes, that appears to be the issue.

@palentir, are you able to reproduce this behavior when your Mavic is facing away from the sun while returning home?
I agree with your thoughts, however, do you not agree that normally, in the log, it will say the 'height set' of the RTH? I dont see it this time?

Reactions: jcollins
OK, I dont see it on the link. just says HP set. I must be missing something..

Dunno! I note usually when HP is set, it gives an altitude. Not in this case. And what the center sticks and braking is I have no idea?!

There’s your answer right there, if the controller is saying to center the sticks and breaking then it’s stopping because of a real or imagined obstacle that is presently the RTH.

It’s likely it’s flying into the Sun which confuses the sensors

I went into my sensor settings and turned off RTH obstacle avoidance. I've had enough troubles with the sensors and imaginary objects, and I fly high enough, that I am far more likely to run into sensor issues than to run into an actual obstacle.

Reactions: palentir and kakao
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NIKLM