DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying at cruise destinations?

markyodo

Reactions
Heading on a Carnival cruise in July. I want to take a Mavic with us and shoot some video at our destination ports. Is there a website or has someone done any research on the rules and regulations for this?
There's lots of drone video posted for vacationing in other countries but I haven't seen anything posted about ports, stationary cruise ships, and cruise destinations.
Ports of call:
Grand Turk
San Juan
St Kitts
St. Maarten

Thanks in advance.

Need to call Corporate Office.

Here is what I know, the drone is going to be confiscated upon boarding the cruise at the port and not returned until the end of the cruise, I do not know the reason for this. Unless you make arrangements prior to the cruise, but do not make arrangements at the port, once you are there they have you. I would start calling now the cruise liner and if you get an acceptable answer I would call to talk to different agents. Amazing on how you get different answers when you talk to different people.

This is the reason I am not cruising anymore.

Need to call Corporate Office.
Here is what I know, the drone is going to be confiscated upon boarding the cruise at the port and not returned until the end of the cruise, I do not know the reason for this.
This is the reason I am not cruising anymore.

WOW! I didn't expect this answer. Did this happen to you or someone you know? Which cruise line?

This is from Carnivals website:
"Exemptions (items for port use only)The following items may be brought on board but can only be used off the ship, for port use only . All items must be stored in the guest’s stateroom. Drone Cameras.................... " (more listed)

Last edited:
Reactions: BaldDaddy
Also take Hand Sanitizer and use it.

What I have read is completely in line with what ElGuapo relates.

We went on a cruise last year around May, on Carnival to be more specific. At the time I only had the P4 and did not think to bring it because I thought it was too bulky. When we got to the port there was a guy standing in line in front of us with a Phantom in his back pack. When we got to the x-ray scanner security officials confiscated his drone, told him that drones are not allowed in cruise ships. Told him that he would not be getting his drone until the last day of the cruise. This guy was pissed, told them that he had called the office and was told he could bring the drone. The security guy asked for something in writing, which he didn't have. He never saw his drone until the last day of the cruise.

I am platinum member in Carnival and Platinum with Princess. We stopped cruising when we saw this policy in cruise ships. We still go on trips but do not cruise anymore.

From Carnival's Web site: "The following items are prohibited and their possession is not allowed on board any Company ship by passengers or crew without a valid lawful reason, unless required in direct support of ship operations, as part of a crew member's official duties, and only with consent of the Ship's Master".

Here is a link to Carnival's web site prohibited items. Towards the bottom specifically talks about drones: Carnival Corporation Prohibited Items | Carnival Cruise Lines

You may be okay bringing the drone, but there is no guarantee. I would start making phone calls now and if possible I would get something in writing. I would not just take their word for it.
Remember, once you are the Port they have you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doogs
I'm not trying to be a smart *** here but the Mavic is a little different right? It's not like a Phantom, Inspire or Solo for that matter. It folds and can literally be stowed away and could possibly get through security, (not the machines you go through right before you go into the cruise terminal but the machines that actually scan your luggage). Of course batteries should be carried with you in your camera bag and they could be scanned upon entering the terminal. I too am a Platinum Member on Carnival and Royal Caribbean so I cruise a lot. I'm not advocating breaking the rules but I'm not sure those security officers are looking for anything that's not staring right them at the face. Last year my brother walked through security at the Port in San Juan with 2 bottles (1 5th in each pocket) of alcohol in the back pockets of his cargo pants. I was like dude, you're gonna get your *** in trouble but; it went undetected and he wasn't even really trying hard to "sneak" it in.

Now on the flip side I once had a pair of handcuffs (in my luggage), get confiscated by the ship police. They actually called me down to the security office on the ship's main PA system (because my bags hadn't be delivered to my stateroom yet).

I remember chiming in about the FAA forcing resellers to make you present a license when buying a drone and preventing people without a license from buying them. I don't agree to that way of rule enforcement but I'm really confused about why the cruise ships would not allow drones to be brought onboard especially if there are no laws in the port of calls that don't allow UAV's to be flown in their country.

Reactions: mikeinbox
We went on a cruise last year around May, on Carnival to be more specific. At the time I only had the P4 and did not think to bring it because I thought it was too bulky. When we got to the port there was a guy standing in line in front of us with a Phantom in his back pack. When we got to the x-ray scanner security officials confiscated his drone, told him that drones are not allowed in cruise ships. Told him that he would not be getting his drone until the last day of the cruise. This guy was pissed, told them that he had called the office and was told he could bring the drone. The security guy asked for something in writing, which he didn't have. He never saw his drone until the last day of the cruise.

I am platinum member in Carnival and Platinum with Princess. We stopped cruising when we saw this policy in cruise ships. We still go on trips but do not cruise anymore.

From Carnival's Web site: "The following items are prohibited and their possession is not allowed on board any Company ship by passengers or crew without a valid lawful reason, unless required in direct support of ship operations, as part of a crew member's official duties, and only with consent of the Ship's Master".

Here is a link to Carnival's web site prohibited items. Towards the bottom specifically talks about drones: Carnival Corporation Prohibited Items | Carnival Cruise Lines

You may be okay bringing the drone, but there is no guarantee. I would start making phone calls now and if possible I would get something in writing. I would not just take their word for it.
Remember, once you are the Port they have you.
I am returning from a 10 day cruise at the present moment. At the last moment my wife had me call Princess Cruises to make sure there would be no problem with my Mavic Pro. I was told that the Drone is forbidden and will be confiscated. I said does that mean it won't even be given back at the end of the cruise. The representative said that was the case.

The sad part is I had intended to use it while in Florida before and after the cruise. But did not even bring it.
Marty

Sent from my SM-T350 using MavicPilots mobile app

Reactions: fredgsy
I am returning from a 10 day cruise at the present moment. At the last moment my wife had me call Princess Cruises to make sure there would be no problem with my Mavic Pro. I was told that the Drone is forbidden and will be confiscated. I said does that mean it won't even be given back at the end of the cruise. The representative said that was the case.
The sad part is I had intended to use it while in Florida before and after the cruise. But did not even bring it.
Marty
This is discouraging to hear. I am disappointed.

I have a feeling the mavic could pass through security easily. I usually take a 12" tablet /bluetooth controller, bulky studio headphones, smartwatch..etc. But let's face it we're in the digital age- so a tangle of chargers and cables is nothing new for me, specially while traveling. I bet TSA sees it all the time and wouldn't bat an eye. I'd stick the mavic controller and batteries with my tablet in my carry on and send the mavic itself in my checked bag packed beside my camera/gopro and assortment of cell phone chargers and personal devices.

We're skipping the annual cruise because of the risk of pregnancy complications...to the FL keys is it! With mavic of course ;)

I have a feeling the mavic could pass through security easily. I usually take a 12" tablet /bluetooth controller, bulky studio headphones, smartwatch..etc. But let's face it we're in the digital age- so a tangle of chargers and cables is nothing new for me, specially while traveling. I bet TSA sees it all the time and wouldn't bat an eye. I'd stick the mavic controller and batteries with my tablet in my carry on and send the mavic itself in my checked bag packed beside my camera/gopro and assortment of cell phone chargers and personal devices.

We're skipping the annual cruise because of the risk of pregnancy complications...to the FL keys is it! With mavic of course ;)

My thoughts exactly.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: Yoda007
EXEMPTIONS (ITEMS FOR PORT USE ONLY)
The following items may be brought on board but can only be used off the ship, for port use only. All items must be stored in the guest’s stateroom.

Drone Cameras
Snorkel gear
Segways
Skateboards
Golf clubs
Fishing rods
Tennis rackets
Kites
Roller blades or skates
Collapsible Wagon *
Metal detectors
Boogie Boards (maximum 42 inches in length)
Beach chair
Umbrella
* For the safety of our guests, the collapsible wagon cannot be rolled onto/off the ship during embarkation and debarkation and cannot be rolled off/onto the ship while in port.

Please Note - It is the responsibility of the guest to check with the local laws of each port as Carnival will not be responsible for confiscated items by Foreign Governments.

Before you pack, please review Carnival Corporation Prohibited Items and Carnival Cruise Line Additional Prohibited Items, Exemptions and Other Considerations.

For your reference, these items cannot be taken off the ship in the United States during the cruise or debarkation day.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Even though the list above includes Drone Cameras I would personally not like to experience the interpretation by some deck hand or maiden in which thier view was to confiscate (and potentially not return my 1400 Mavic Pro). I agree 1000% with taking the time to get the written approval so that when this scenario plays out one can just whip it out of thier pocket and yell BAM!

Reactions: Arcadian501
This is discouraging to hear. I am disappointed.

We just came back from Costa Rica, brought the Mavic on this trip. Going thru TSA's security checkpoint and re-entering the country thru Customs was uneventful. When entering CR and leaving the country no one mentioned anything about the drone in my back pack, went thru the x-ray machine just fine. If anything, my wife's purse drew TSA's attention and had to be hand searched.

Needless to say, brought a ton of video and pictures from this trip and working on putting together video footage for friends and family.

I emailed Celebrity cruises about this because I'd like to take my Mavic with me on my Alaska cruise in May. Here is what they said:

"Drones will be confiscated at the gangway and will only be released to you in port on the understanding that you are fully liable to comply with local regulations and operate them legally in that specific port of call. It is your responsibility to acquire permission from each of the countries the ship will be docking at before the drone is released back to you."

I'll be sure to take a copy of that email with me, but it looks like Celebrity is OK with it. I think that Celebrity is part of the Royal Caribbean "family", so my guess is that RC would be OK too. But it is nice to have it in writing, just to be sure.

Hope this helps!

Rich

Reactions: nomad33fw
"Drones will be confiscated at the gangway and will only be released to you in port on the understanding that you are fully liable to comply with local regulations and operate them legally in that specific port of call. It is your responsibility to acquire permission from each of the countries the ship will be docking at before the drone is released back to you."

I'll be sure to take a copy of that email with me, but it looks like Celebrity is OK with it. I think that Celebrity is part of the Royal Caribbean "family", so my guess is that RC would be OK too. But it is nice to have it in writing, just to be sure.

Rich

Rich, that is good news. Make yourself a favor and please make sure to bring with you in writing what they say about your drone.
Once you are the port they have you.

Enjoy your trip, let us know how it goes.

Carnival will let you keep them in your Cabin. Holland America, despite being owned by Carnival, will confiscate and hold them. Got that info from HA customer service two days ago.

I literally just went on the same cruise with Carnival on the "Sunshine." I had no issues with the Mavic, and I had it with me on every port.

One thing to keep in mind Grand Turk is a "no fly zone" right off the ship, so you will have to venture away from the ship to fly it. Luckily an excursion went to the other side of the island and I flew there.

I didn't fly it in Puerto Rico, so I can't comment on that location at all in regards to no fly zones.

St. Maarten and St. Kitts was SUPER windy. I was flying the Mavic at a beach at St. Kitts and almost had an issue where it would not make it back in time because the wind was so strong. Pay attention to the wind before venturing too far. Grand Turk was amazing and calm when flying but then St. Kitts was a lot worse. I don't know if its because of location or just my luck with the weather.

Also near the port at St. Maarteen there was planes and also helicopters, so be careful if you fly there. I'd honestly say my favorite and most beautiful spot was Grand Turk, far away from the ship.

I have some footage from Grand Turk and Sint Maarten in this video :

So after waiting over a week to hear back from Royal Caribbean's generic email for reservation questions I decided to email our on board Concierge today.. about 5 minutes later I received this reply..

"Thank you for your email. I can reserve the excursion for you and charge you onboard so it will come off the onboard credits. Unfortunately drones are prohibited onboard and is a real hassle with the immigration and local authorities. We can check it for you and certain port may allow you to use it, please see below list; "

The email proceeded to list all the ports I will be traveling to and the certain restrictions they have regarding drone operation. Mostly just that operating in or near the port areas and airport areas is prohibited.

My hats off to the extremely fast reply from our Concierge on board! Looks like I'll be packing the Mavic!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78