DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying glasses?

annamariaslim

Reactions
Thinking about getting some glasses for flying, a bifocal type where I can look down to see my Mavic controller and look up to see the drone. At present I need 2 pair, and it's a pain switching back and forth. It would also be nice to have a bit more magnification to see the info on the controller. Anyone doing this and have any suggestions? TIA

I've been known to wear BOTH pair at the same time...

I ended up buying a larger dedicated tablet display instead of my phone.. That definitely helped seeing the screen

Good question. The last time I had my aging eyes checked I actually took the controller and phone setup to the appointment and showed the "eye-guy" exactly what I needed to see. This was the result:
Flight Glasses.jpg
They are wrap around, padded inside to disallow light sneaking in behind the frames and tuned to the specific distances required for the controller and infinity (for VLOS) ... To some this may be overkill, but at least for me worth every penny invested.
Hope this helps.

Thinking about getting some glasses for flying, a bifocal type where I can look down to see my Mavic controller and look up to see the drone. At present I need 2 pair, and it's a pain switching back and forth. It would also be nice to have a bit more magnification to see the info on the controller. Anyone doing this and have any suggestions? TIA
Try Rapideyewear
try www.rapideyewear.co. uk they do bifocal Polaroid sunglasses, cheers Len

• Wow
Reactions: @Rip
Yes I have 2 pair of Bifocals sun glasses for the sunny days and regular for cloudy or early evening flying

I use tri-focal prescribed glasses

Good question. The last time I had my aging eyes checked I actually took the controller and phone setup to the appointment and showed the "eye-guy" exactly what I needed to see. This was the result:
View attachment 164406
They are wrap around, padded inside to disallow light sneaking in behind the frames and tuned to the specific distances required for the controller and infinity (for VLOS) ... To some this may be overkill, but at least for me worth every penny invested.
Hope this helps.
Somewhat along the lines of what I was thinking. Does the lower section have more magnification than your regular reading glasses? Even with my regular reading glasses I struggle to see the small print. Thanks!

I have a pair of glasses made specially for seeing the tiny details on the controller. I told my eye doctor what they were for and he took care of the rest. I just look over the top of the glasses to see the drone.

It cost me, but it was worth it.

Somewhat along the lines of what I was thinking. Does the lower section have more magnification than your regular reading glasses? Even with my regular reading glasses I struggle to see the small print. Thanks!
Yes. The close range is tuned to half of my arms length at most. Magnification is specially tweaked for viewing the controller. Everything is easily legible. I dont have to use the iPad anymore if that helps describe it. And on a side note I can not read the speedometer in the car if I forget to change glasses after a flight. (I have glasses to find my other glasses) These are just what I need for flying, at least.
As Mavikahn stated: "I told my eye doctor what they were for and he took care of the rest"...

Last edited:
View attachment 164406
Hope this helps.
That is the perfect answer/solution to the problem.

• Wow
Progressive, transitions lenses.
Progressive gives me ever-increasing magnification as I look farther down toward the bottom of the lenses, allowing me to always find the sweet spot to read/see something small.
Transitions allows me to use them indoors or out. Also, transitions aren't polarized--polarized can interfere with viewing electronics screens.

As an ophthalmologist, I am presented with patients like this on a daily basis. Thus, I measure ("refract") them with the recommended distance glasses with an added near working distance measured for the task needed. I ask the patient to hold the reading material at the working distance while measuring the refraction.The selection of frames is totally up to the patient but the darker the tint, the harder it would be for reading the remote screen.

Dale

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
src1972