DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying high... and a question

BigBoozer

Reactions
Hi folks, I just ended a very nice trip in Argentina, Bolivia and Peru, where I shot more than 75 takes (5.5 hours of footage, all above 3500-4000 m above sea level) with my Mavic Pro drone. I started editing first the most extreme flight, done at Mina Julia, at the Argentina-Chile border in the region of Salta. Take off point was at 5220 meters, max eighth reached was 5480-5500 m.

Now the question: what is the exact technical reason that makes DJI recommend in their instructions NOT to fly above 5000 meters? Air pressure too low? Any idea? I luckily had no problems at all flying that high.

Second question, hoping to find some help: to avoid serious Jello problems I have mounted a neutral filter (brand: PGYTECH) and its weigh has eliminated the Jello. But the filters (I use 4,8,16 and 32 grades) seem to provide a serious brown tint to all my videos. Unfortunately I discovered this only when I saw them on a good monitor, and now I am looking for a good color preset app to use with my editing software Cyberlink PowerDirector 15. Any help available? The tint is gray-pink to brown, quite heavy. Thanks for any hint and no, I will not use Adobe Premiere, thanks.
UPDATE: I tested all 4 filters and none of them causes that brownish tint to the videoclips. It looks like I shot all my recent videos with a wrong setting, but I can find none. Any hint? Thanks!

All my drone videos are available here.

Last edited:
Yep. Decreases reserve power since the motors have to run at higher power just to hold it in the air.
Thanks, Kilrah. I was afraid for that, but when I touched the motors at the end of the flight they were not hotter than normal.

Hello @BigBoozer
I just watched your great footage from your Mavic in Argentina. Have you gone through the complex registration process that authorities seem to have in place? Do you know if it's compulsory for foreigners piloting mavic for leisure (and abiding by all regulations of course)
Thank you
Thom

Hello @BigBoozer
I just watched your great footage from your Mavic in Argentina. Have you gone through the complex registration process that authorities seem to have in place? Do you know if it's compulsory for foreigners piloting mavic for leisure (and abiding by all regulations of course)
Thank you
Thom
Hello Thom99, I did not initiate any registration process when I entered in Argentina. I had two Mavic drones in my handluggage, and nobody cared at Security, Customs or Immigration.

I checked carefully the local legislation before flying there, and concluded that use of small drones for amateur, non commercial purposes, is not restricted. Then I only flew in almost deserted areas, far from people and sensitive places.

YouTube is full of videos taken from drones in Argentina, even in large cities and crowded areas, in spite of any regulation... Laws in South America do exist, but their application is another story.

Had a small reprimand from a policeman in an archaeologic area in Bolivia, where I was supposed to hold a paid permit to fly, but nothing more exciting than this.

Hi folks, I just ended a very nice trip in Argentina, Bolivia and Peru, where I shot more than 75 takes (5.5 hours of footage, all above 3500-4000 m above sea level) with my Mavic Pro drone. I started editing first the most extreme flight, done at Mina Julia, at the Argentina-Chile border in the region of Salta. Take off point was at 5220 meters, max eighth reached was 5480-5500 m.

Now the question: what is the exact technical reason that makes DJI recommend in their instructions NOT to fly above 5000 meters? Air pressure too low? Any idea? I luckily had no problems at all flying that high.

Second question, hoping to find some help: to avoid serious Jello problems I have mounted a neutral filter (brand: PGYTECH) and its weigh has eliminated the Jello. But the filters (I use 4,8,16 and 32 grades) seem to provide a serious brown tint to all my videos. Unfortunately I discovered this only when I saw them on a good monitor, and now I am looking for a good color preset app to use with my editing software Cyberlink PowerDirector 15. Any help available? The tint is gray-pink to brown, quite heavy. Thanks for any hint and no, I will not use Adobe Premiere, thanks.
UPDATE: I tested all 4 filters and none of them causes that brownish tint to the videoclips. It looks like I shot all my recent videos with a wrong setting, but I can find none. Any hint? Thanks!

All my drone videos are available here.
They sell high altitude props I'm pretty sure. I believe I saw them on DJI's website.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS