DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in the rain

Don't you think that if the Mavic was water-proof, or even water-resistant, that DJI would have that printed all over it's marketing materials?

Electronics and water do not mix, unless specifically designed to do so, in which case you would know.

I wonder if my Sony 4K 75" HDR TV is okay in the rain?

Remember that these little things have cooling fans that suck ambient air (and rain) inside to cool the electronics.

Downsides:
1. You fly for a while. It crashes and you never see it again.
2. You fly for a while and get it back. The water that has accumulated inside creates corrosion in the electronics. It work for a while and then suddenly is dead.

Don't you think that if the Mavic was water-proof, or even water-resistant, that DJI would have that printed all over it's marketing materials?

Electronics and water do not mix, unless specifically designed to do so, in which case you would know.

I wonder if my Sony 4K 75" HDR TV is okay in the rain?
Wow snarky!

I have gotten caught in the rain a couple of times In the last 3 weeks. Came home as soon as I noticed rain drops hitting the filter on the camera lens. Once with my P4P and again last week with Mavic 2. So now I have to worry about both falling out of the sky on a sunny day. There is no reason EVER to fly a quad in the rain on purpose.

Remember when people say there are no stupid questions? Well they are wrong!:D

I love these types of piss take questions

Here’s my advice - take a trip to the tropics and wait for a monsoon and then give it a go.
or just throw it into a swimming pool.
Be sure to let us know how you got on!:eek:

Reactions: Former Member
Guys Guys some people really might not understand the fragile electronics in these things. DON"T FLY IN THE RAIN IT HURTS THESE THINGS
it has to be a piss take surely? This bloke would be sitting back laughing at the replies

Last edited:
Hi Bloggers!

Any coach or advise on flying a Mavic air in the rain? Is it safe for the equipment? What are the down sides?

Thanks all.
I'd never do it, but here's video of someone who has.

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
Hi Bloggers!

Any coach or advise on flying a Mavic air in the rain? Is it safe for the equipment? What are the down sides?

Thanks all.

Sometimes having a better understanding of why Drones just dont drop out of the sky when it does rain is more important than why not to fly in the rain.

Seeing that we fly in the rain every chance we get, we recommend that you get a Wet Suit if possible for your model Mavic, the Wet Suit will enhance greatly how water resistant the drone is.

The reason why it is even possible to fly a drone in the rain are because of Aluminum Brushless Motors , something that is found on the Phantom 4 Series Drones and the Mavic 2 among others , DJI quality motors designed to negotiate heat and water extremely well.

Now you know why they just dont drop out of sky when the motors get wet.

Next is protect the Power Supply from the Water, as it stands now the Mavic 2 is vey suceptible to water getting in the battery from a heavy rain, thus the Mavic 2 Wet Suits are essential for battery protection alone.

No one recommends that you deliberately fly in the rain but the number of people that get caught flying in the rain are many.

If your going to get caught in the rain than your very best chance to fly in and out of the storm is with the Mavic 2 Wet Suits.

As we prepare for 15 inches of Snow and 40 mph winds and freezing rain.

The Mavic 2 Zoom is ready for warfare.

The extra 17 Parts of the Wet Suit are going to give us the best chance for a Stress Free flight in the Rain but the winds may tell another story.

T MINUS 2 hours before the Event. lol
Eastern Ohio off the lake ,

Phantomrain.org
Approved Vendor

Screen Shot 2019-01-19 at 10.50.27 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-19 at 10.31.48 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-19 at 10.33.03 AM.png

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics