DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying Mavic Pro Inside Auditorium with 600 People?

Does the FAA have jurisdiction indoors?
Not sure about FAA but here in the UK CAA regulations make no distinction between flights made indoors or in the open; the whole safety criteria continue to apply.

Then you have the HASAW act and Health and Safety Executive to worry about.

Reactions: cjsecus
Thanks for the responses. It's turned out that the bad idea has been taken off the table. Thanks everyone for their input and sound guidance.

Reactions: Qoncussion
It’s against FAA rules to fly over people. I personally wouldn’t mess with the Feds. Fines aren’t worth the headache (even if your are able to prevent harm from others)
The FAA does not control indoor airspace at all. This flight would still NOT be recommended, but it's not "against FAA rules".

The FAA does not control indoor airspace at all. This flight would still NOT be recommended, but it's not "against FAA rules".

There are things called Outdoor Auditoriums,hence being outside , which could be deemed public airspace as well. Even then I was referencing flying over people...which FAA does prohibit tyvm. So what I posted was not wrong no information. Not to mention the OP said he was not doing so what’s the big deal?

There are things called Outdoor Auditoriums,hence being outside , which could be deemed public airspace as well. Even then I was referencing flying over people...which FAA does prohibit tyvm. So what I posted was not wrong no information. Not to mention the OP said he was not doing so what’s the big deal?
I didn't make a "big deal" out of it (although you seem to be doing that), just pointing out that your post was incorrect in that the OP said he was going to be "inside" and whether the flight would be over people or not, the FAA has no jurisdiction indoors.

But yes, now the OP has indicated that he isn't going to do it at all which is a great outcome. Case closed. ;)

Thanks, yeah it should be a clear path. I'm just worried about signal interference

Indoors anything can happen, you might find it shooting off uncontrollably and nothing you can do to stop it.

Good advice here, both don’t do it if possible OR if you might st use the full prop cages.

Important - ensure that there is enough of light - visual sensors dont work in dark or low light conditions. and visual sensor may help you a lot when flying in atti /with no gps or compass interferrences)
Use prop cages, tripod mode, test it before the meeting in the same hall but empty with no people. Move slow, don't be stupid
You'll be OK and hopefully all the people around you too :)

Take care!

Reactions: cbirch
I have been asked to fly our drone inside an auditorium with over 600 people. Is it possible that the cell signals would interfere with the drone? What other things could potentially go wrong?
Expect to see unusual flight characteristics like drifting and sluggish stick respond not to mention fly away situations! If the auditorium is not brightly lit the vision sensors will not work adequately and as a result the bird will drift considerably. Be very wary of electo magnetic interference as well.

I recently did a job in a building where modular buildings are assembled utilizing a thirty ton crane. The crane was controlled by a joystick that caused crazy interference with my Mavic. Stay close to the bird. Invest in some cages and have everyone sign release forms before entering that auditorium!

You don’t want a lawsuit!

I have been asked to fly our drone inside an auditorium with over 600 people. Is it possible that the cell signals would interfere with the drone? What other things could potentially go wrong?
Reherse the shot without the people.

Even a cage if the drone hits someone that is going to hurt. Don't do it unless you like going to court. (BE SAFE) Friend

It’s against FAA rules to fly over people. I personally wouldn’t mess with the Feds. Fines aren’t worth the headache (even if your are able to prevent harm from others)
There are no regulations about flying indoor that is regulated by the FAA. Obviously, you cannot fly your drone indoor at an airport like that idiot in Japan did, but use common sense, be insured, safety first.

The question is how rich are you and your family members? Because you’re going to need it all even if you Nick one persons face. The US is a letigious society be aware.

There is no FAA regulation for flying indoor. But I agree with the safety first attitude. Maybe I would consider if some shots indoor can't be taken with other methods instead of flying above people.

BTW you can fly above people professionally, under certain conditions, can't you? ... FAA also has to permit the "above people flying mission" sometimes - otherwise many music clips, official movies wouldn't exist... or?

There is no FAA regulation for flying indoor. But I agree with the safety first attitude. Maybe I would consider if some shots indoor can't be taken with other methods instead of flying above people.

BTW you can fly above people professionally, under certain conditions, can't you? ... FAA also has to permit the "above people flying mission" sometimes - otherwise many music clips, official movies wouldn't exist... or?

my understanding is that FAA has granted permission to movie studios to fly over people and cnn.

FAA has probably 10 pages or more of material about why they won't grant waivers to fly over people, even people who consent to the mission.

There (apparently) have only been 4 companies that have been issued a waiver by the FAA to permit flying over people with a drone. CivitasNow, CNN, FLIR, and Project Wing (owned by Alphabet)

AeroVista Innovations Just Helped the 4th Company Ever Get FAA Approval to Fly Drones Over People—Here’s How They Did It - UAV Coach

24831542_1485200944940999_4201980426548292340_o.png

Those examples in your reply (#31) are far from what the OP is going to do . . . a confined auditorium with 600 people, probably very congested seating etc.
He'll likely have no GPS stabilisation, and if there is a little in there, they maybe be going from GPS to atti and back with little warning at times.
I sounds to me like they may not be that experienced, but if capable of handling those inflight changes, or flying atti well, the OP might be fine.
Maybe not too.

People here are being cautious with heir advice, and it's not something to put them down for.

I agree if they are going to give it a shot, then a pre flight in the empty room, with similar lighting is a very idea.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d