DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying over Desiginated Wilderness Areas

TurtleFlight

Reactions
Hello all,

I know this has been discussed previously in other threads and just wanted to see if anyone had any updated information.

Per my understanding, The FAA regulates all airspace and has no regulations against flying a UAS over a wilderness area specifically.

This would allow a drone pilot to launch from a road or recreational area and then fly over a wilderness area.

I understand that you would be open to citation if you had an unexpected landing in a wilderness area, but it appears that flying overhead is still lawful.

Curious to hear opinions from you all on this matter!

Thanks

Side note:

I get the ethics around flying near wilderness areas and the regulations from the national forest service when it comes to launching and landing. Personally, I fly at altitudes where the drone puts off minimal db levels and in some cases can't be heard from the ground. I try to be as respectful as possible to others, even when I can easily hear peoples kids, dogs, cellphones, loud conversations, etc at a louder volume than a drone at altitude.

Reactions: E90RAW
I'm not sure what there is to have an opinion on here - the law is perfectly clear. The actions you describe are legal provided that there are no restrictions on operating sUAS from the takeoff location and that you comply with the other flight requirements of VLOS, height and airspace restrictions.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robqwe