DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying through wires in Australia

DJ Wes

Reactions
Site
www.litchiutilities.com
Has anyone flown through wires? A couple years ago, I flew one of my first, long Litchi missions. While it ended in disaster (another story), I got some incredible footage from it. One of the highlights of the mission is shown in this clip.

I knew these wires were here when planning the mission. My plan was to fly over them. Even when executing the mission, I watched from less than 100 feet away, ready to abort if I thought I was too close to the wires. From what I could see, I clearly flew over the wires. It wasn’t until after viewing the footage at home that I realized what had happened.

This clip includes just that portion of the full mission. Has anyone else done something like this?

Reactions: jimlips and Twocalf
I've done this twicit in error and not proud of it... like ysaid was lucky to go through them.

That was a close call with the fountain also. Almost got hosed.

Was waiting for that slight wind change !

Was this the M2P ?
Assume it had a better chance through the wires than the P3.
Lucky for sure, but great footage to have to remember it too.

We used to go through Cohuna every year for a couple of decades on the way to the Victorian snowfields.
What on Earth took you from Northwest AR to Cohuna ? (And don't say airplane !! ? )
Or did you travel the other way ?

Was waiting for that slight wind change !

Was this the M2P ?
Assume it had a better chance through the wires than the P3.
Lucky for sure, but great footage to have to remember it too.

We used to go through Cohuna every year for a couple of decades on the way to the Victorian snowfields.
What on Earth took you from Northwest AR to Cohuna ? (And don't say airplane !! ? )
Or did you travel the other way ?

The footage was from 2017 when all I had was a P3S.

I lived in Brisbane for 10 years. My wife is from Victoria. We make it back to Oz (Victoria) once every year or so.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
The footage was from 2017 when all I had was a P3S.

I lived in Brisbane for 10 years. My wife is from Victoria. We make it back to Oz (Victoria) once every year or so.

P3S, even more impressive luck !
Funny how wires are so hard ot see on the biewing device, but so obvious in playback . . . like Golden Orb spider webs !! (yes I did fly into one last year)
Brissy is a very visited place for me, loads of work up there, go up usually for several months of the year for the past 4 or 5.
Enjoy your future trips here then, plenty of great places to fly pretty much everywhere.

Reactions: DJ Wes
Made for really great footage! But I would have had to change my boxers after reviewing the video. Sometimes luck is better than skill in situations like this. Wow!

Yep, if you saw it as it happened, you'd probably twitch a stick wrong and prang !
BTW, I loved those pop up text! Is that an add on app in your editor, or something else. I’ve never seen that type of message pops ups in a video. Very different.

BTW, I loved those pop up text! Is that an add on app in your editor, or something else. I’ve never seen that type of message pops ups in a video. Very different.

@DJ Wes will let you know, have seen it before in his vids I am sure, and remember others making the similar comment.

Reactions: MaxE1955!
@DJ Wes will let you know, have seen it before in his vids I am sure, and remember others making the similar comment.
Thanks! I think it adds an interesting way to interest content! Thanks again.

Reactions: DJ Wes
Altitudes can deviate a few feet. Best to allow at least 10ft.

When flying real time, I judge if I'll clear flying over an obstacle by seeing how high it is relative to distant horizon. If object is below the horizon by a margin, I'll clear it. That works regardless of gimbal angle, assuming of course the horizon is in your view.
Tap fly will give you an artificial horizon.

Fortunately objects tend to look closer than they actually are.

I was flying my M2P quickly right over the tops of a wheat field once and watched two t-posts go by higher than the drone without incident. I couldn’t directly see the barbwire fence from where I was standing, but I could see the drone well enough. Luckily, only the lower wires were intact and it must’ve flown right over them.

A good movie should tell a story while holding the audience’s attention. I use pop-ups to do both in most of my movies.

Normally, you wouldn’t want to dwell on one scene for more than 6 to 10 seconds. For this movie I only had one scene. So I used pop-ups to add breaks and tell the story.

The pop-ups that I used were created manually. I use the VSDC editor but you could probably do the same with any editor. To create a pop-up, I placed the following items in a re-usable component:
  • A tooltip (a text box or text bubble)
  • A “pop” sound
  • A zoom at the beginning
  • A fade at the end
  • Some clever text
  • A motion trajectory (only if needed)
I re-use this pop-up component anywhere it is needed as I lay out the video segments.

The whole idea was inspired by 80s music videos I once saw on the VH-1 music channel.

A good movie should tell a story while holding the audience’s attention. I use pop-ups to do both in most of my movies.

Normally, you wouldn’t want to dwell on one scene for more than 6 to 10 seconds. For this movie I only had one scene. So I used pop-ups to add breaks and tell the story.

The pop-ups that I used were created manually. I use the VSDC editor but you could probably do the same with any editor. To create a pop-up, I placed the following items in a re-usable component:
  • A tooltip (a text box or text bubble)
  • A “pop” sound
  • A zoom at the beginning
  • A fade at the end
  • Some clever text
  • A motion trajectory (only if needed)
I re-use this pop-up component anywhere it is needed as I lay out the video segments.

The whole idea was inspired by 80s music videos I once saw on the VH-1 music channel.
Thanks for sharing. Very much appreciated!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan