DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying with JUST Mavic Pro Controller: Altitude and Distance LIMITED

danCER

Reactions
Okay, I always fly my Mavic Pro with both controller and tablet(K1 Shield).
Recently, I was at a favorite location--one I have flown without restrictions many times--when I realized I had forgotten my USB cable. I couldn't connect controller to tablet.
Okay, no big deal. I would just fly with the controller.
Started props by pulling sticks down and toward center and took off.
I decided I'd raise my elevation around 125 FT and lifted up. I don't recall the height I reached but I want to say 75 feet was the altitude and the MP stopped. On the controller screen, it said "Max Limit."
NOTE: It may have said something differently but that was the gist of it.
The rear light on drone flashed red.
I quickly landed and shut everything down thinking it was some crazy glitch, but I had my doubts.
Bear in mind that I only have the Litchi app installed on the tablet. No DJI app telling me to log on.
I flew it again and same height limit. So I went forward as far as I could but not as far as I wanted. Now on the screen I read "Max Distance." See NOTE above.
I have since learned about DJI placing these limits unless you log in with the DJI Go 4 app. And thinking back, I did have to log in to the DJI app on my phone when I had to do some IMU and Gimbal calibrations(Don't believe I can do those with Litchi, but I can the compass calibration.)
Since Litchi hasn't made me log in, the drone must ignore the limits when using Litchi.
Long story, longer, I went home got cable and returned to site. Started up as usual with tablet connected to RC.
No limits up--well I didn't fly above 400 ft. so there could have been if I had. And no limits with distance.
So can you fly the Mavic pro with JUST the controller and not have Altitude and Distance limits?
Thanks for your time.

So can you fly the Mavic pro with JUST the controller and not have Altitude and Distance limits?
The altitude and distance will always be limited if you're running firmware 1.03.08 (or higher) and attempt to fly before connecting your Mavic to DJI GO (or another compatible DJI GO alternative).

I assume it just prevents you from deliberately flying beyond VLOS. Without the tablet, and the view from the camera, you really can't see clearly where it's going and may not be able to avoid obstacles. The last time I tried to fly around a tree by just looking at my drone directly, I hit a tree (it pretty close to me, OA off, slow speed; so no damage), cos my depth perception, as it turns out, is pretty rubbish. If I had looked my screen, I would've seen the tree is right in front of it.

Thanks, msinger,
I prefer to fly With the tablet anyway.

And yes, RayOz, I need all the help visually I can get. That's why I use a tablet instead of a phone!

Also noticed that unless I’m fired up with go4, the trigger controls don’t work as programmed.
I’ve been using mine to drop balsa gliders (kids have made them aerospace class)from 100ft. Some amazing results

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98