DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Foggy pics from Mavic Pro. Found the reason, but how to fix it?

MavicMikeMinh

Reactions
My Mavic Pro sometimes shows misty or foggy pictures, they are unclear or as if they're badly out of focus. Initially I thought that 50 or 80 ft up there it just is more misty compared to what can be seen from the ground. It is definitely what the sensor sees, not a software problem.

But I think I have now identified what causes this, but how do I fix it for good?

Inside of the front glass of the camera some condensation can be seen. Strangely enough it's a circular spot in the very center inside of the lens glass. I can make it disappear by putting my (relatively) warm finger onto the lens glass for maybe 20/30 secs. It does however come back.
I don't exactly live in the rainforest, well, not officially at least, I'm in the SouthWest of the UK. We don't have super high humidity, temperatures currently 20 - 25° C (68° - 77° F, for those who still use F :))

How can I achieve a permanent fix?

Reactions: mereflyer
Obviously you have some moisture between the camera lens and the protective window. There should be a seal to keep that from happening. But here's what I'd try first...

Get some desiccant (like Silica gel), put it in a large plastic ziplok bag with your drone and leave it in there for 48-72 hours. If the desiccant can suck the moisture out of the camera then you would need to find a way to seal whatever might allow it to seep back in. Or just leave it be until it happens again. If the desiccant worked, just repeat the process.

Or... CAREFULLY remove the window from the camera and allow it to dry. Then reattach it with a small amount of super glue.

I'd try the desiccant first.

Unless you get the lens on tighter and create more of a seal , your likely to always have to deal with this problem.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic Pro in the Rain.

My Mavic Pro sometimes shows misty or foggy pictures, they are unclear or as if they're badly out of focus. Initially I thought that 50 or 80 ft up there it just is more misty compared to what can be seen from the ground. It is definitely what the sensor sees, not a software problem.

But I think I have now identified what causes this, but how do I fix it for good?

Inside of the front glass of the camera some condensation can be seen. Strangely enough it's a circular spot in the very center inside of the lens glass. I can make it disappear by putting my (relatively) warm finger onto the lens glass for maybe 20/30 secs. It does however come back.
I don't exactly live in the rainforest, well, not officially at least, I'm in the SouthWest of the UK. We don't have super high humidity, temperatures currently 20 - 25° C (68° - 77° F, for those who still use F :))

How can I achieve a permanent fix?
Is the condensation inside your U/V filter or inside the Camera lens itself. Hopefully it's not on the inside of the camera lens. It doesn't really matter though, Vindibona1 gave you the solution. Using a dessicant.
Did you accidentally get caught in the rain once?
If the condensation is on the outside of the UV filter, that would just mean that the cold air in the house is causing condensation when you take the drone outside in the warm humid air, but I doubt your problem is that. That kind of foginess only lasts a few minutes.

Reactions: cb4ishoot
I would think sealing the UV filter to the lenswith super glue will make it impossible to use ND or polarizing filters, if someday in the future you want to use them. My suggestion is to try the desicant first. If that doesn't work you should be able to find a gadget from one of filter vendors (polar pro?) that will make the UV filter easy to twist/remove - so that you could wipe the condensation away. I was able to find a free 3d printer file (STL) online (I don't have the url anymore - it was a couple of years ago) and emailed it to my local library who printed it for only about $2.

Last edited:
That’s ok. I do look at the spec’s of newer drones but decide that the restrictions being imposed on flying make the outlay unjustified.

Thanks for the tips.

I'll start with things that are EASY to do, i.e. using a desiccant. I ordered some Molecular Sieve, will put the entire aircraft in an airtight bag and see how it goes.

Interestingly, a blog entry from a Silica manufacturer says that the often found 3 gram bags in packaging of say a new camera or a pair of shoes, are entirely useless, the amount too small, the travel duration in a container from often China to Europe way to long etc etc.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karthikeyan103