DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Free training for drone pilots on search/rescue techniques on Mar 30

FatherXmas, Thunderdrones and I were scheduled to train in Mentone today in preparation for the SAR training on Mar 30th, but we cancelled because of the weather. Tragically, FatherXmas (who lives in Mentone) got called out today on a real-world SAR mission looking for a teenager who got swept away in a flood. He flew from 10 until 3 until the weather shut them down. Still haven't found him. Pray for the family.

Search for teenager suspended after car swept in flooded water at Bucks Pocket State Park

Last edited:
Two more law enforcement drone pilots are coming to the free drone SAR training on the 30th. That makes 18 coming with 2 spots left.

Outstanding Bob. I'm confident the other spots will fill before the event.

Give me a call if you need anything.

Reactions: Former Member
FYI for everyone that is coming to training on Mar 30 ....

We're ultimately looking for DSAR volunteer state representatives for every state. So far, we have two states covered - me for Alabama, and robdronesar for Georgia (although he doesn't know it yet. ;) FatheXmas also will have the jacket as a cofounder for DSAR.) So far, I believe we have people coming from LA, MO and IN scheduled to come to training.

Only DSAR state reps will have the opportunity to purchase this cool windbreaker jacket for $50. It would be the only jacket of it's kind in the state. (Any 107 pilot who engages in a real-world SAR op can also order the jacket - the one and only exception.)

To be a state rep and buy a windbreaker, one must:
  1. be 107 certified
  2. take SAR training and keep improving your skills
  3. volunteer to serve as the state representative for DSAR (be the voice and face of us to the state)
  4. publicize us with the appropriate state agencies, i.e., police, fire, rescue, etc. (i.e., it's easy - Give them our contact card which you will get at training)
  5. be willing to help train other volunteer pilots in the state
  6. be the gatekeeper for the state registry - i.e., determine who is qualified to be on the state registry. Only 107 pilots who have SAR training and are willing to volunteer will be on the registry. (We will consolidate all the state registries into a national registry.)

My size is 2xL
This will help our goal of expanding nationally. Again, there will be only one state representative, meaning there will be only one cool jacket in each state.

If you are coming to training on Mar 30, and you're already 107 certified or will be by Mar 30, and want to volunteer to become the DSAR state rep (we currently need every state except AL & GA) AND want to buy a jacket .... let me know and send me your size. I will order the jacket and you can pay for it when you get on Mar 30. The jacket is100% polyester, 190T with water resistant coating and water repellent finish and features a roll-away hood with easy-grip zipper pull. Size chart is below. It's not Arcteryx quality, but you'll be rocking with the cool embroidered logo.

FYI for everyone that is coming to training on Mar 30 ....

We're ultimately looking for DSAR volunteer state representatives for every state. So far, we have two states covered - me for Alabama, and robdronesar for Georgia (although he doesn't know it yet. ;) FatheXmas also will have the jacket as a cofounder for DSAR.) So far, I believe we have people coming from LA, MO and IN scheduled to come to training.

Only DSAR state reps will have the opportunity to purchase this cool windbreaker jacket for $50. It would be the only jacket of it's kind in the state. (Any 107 pilot who engages in a real-world SAR op can also order the jacket - the one and only exception.)

To be a state rep and buy a windbreaker, one must:
  1. be 107 certified
  2. take SAR training and keep improving your skills
  3. volunteer to serve as the state representative for DSAR (be the voice and face of us to the state)
  4. publicize us with the appropriate state agencies, i.e., police, fire, rescue, etc. (i.e., it's easy - Give them our contact card which you will get at training)
  5. be willing to help train other volunteer pilots in the state
  6. be the gatekeeper for the state registry - i.e., determine who is qualified to be on the state registry. Only 107 pilots who have SAR training and are willing to volunteer will be on the registry. (We will consolidate all the state registries into a national registry.)
This will help our goal of expanding nationally. Again, there will be only one state representative, meaning there will be only one cool jacket in each state.

If you are coming to training on Mar 30, and you're already 107 certified or will be by Mar 30, and want to volunteer to become the DSAR state rep (we currently need every state except AL & GA) AND want to buy a jacket .... let me know and send me your size. I will order the jacket and you can pay for it when you get on Mar 30. The jacket is100% polyester, 190T with water resistant coating and water repellent finish and features a roll-away hood with easy-grip zipper pull. Size chart is below. It's not Arcteryx quality, but you'll be rocking with the cool embroidered logo.

Sorry make it a 3XL....I am trying to make sure that I have room for a shirt.

Any chance there will be a second offering of the material in this first class? I'll definitely try to attend the second class in GA but hate to miss this first one.

Reactions: Former Member
In fact, a Supervisor of EMS and a Sheriffs Office in VA asked if we could come up to train there provided he could muster enough pilots to make it worthwhile. Thunderdrones and I agreed it may be possible for the two of us to go up there this summer and train them on a Sat and Sun. We're in the process of working with him to see if it can happen.

The same thing may be true forFileZilla Malwarebytes Rufus Indianapolis if someone is willing to take the bull to organize it up there.
The church is on Lookout Mountain near the Alabama/Georgia state line border. This session will include an introduction to drone support for SAR operations. The topics in this intro include: what you need to know, what skills you need, what you need to consider and plan for, keys to success, training, working with onsite incident command structures, coordination and ops with ground search teams, effective use of your drone, waypoint flights, exploratory flights, 3rd party observers, safety.... and other subjects.

Last edited:
The church is on Lookout Mountain near the Alabama/Georgia state line border. This session will include an introduction to drone support for SAR operations. The topics in this intro include: what you need to know, what skills you need, what you need to consider and plan for, keys to success, training, working with onsite incident command structures, coordination and ops with ground search teams, effective use of your drone, waypoint flights, exploratory flights, 3rd party observers, safety.... and other subjects.

That's a LOT to cover and "digest" in a single day. I look forward to hearing some GREAT things coming from this first event.

Here's the draft agenda as it comes together for the training on Mar 30th:
  1. 9:00-10:00 Introduction to Drone support for SAR operations (inside briefing)
  2. 10:00-10:30 Introduction to Litchi software (inside briefing)
  3. 10:30-10:40 Break
  4. 10:40-11:10 Preplanning a waypoint flight with points-of-interest (POI) (inside briefing)
  5. 11:10-11:30 Flying the preplanned flight (outside)
  6. 11:30-12:00 Demo of the M2E Dual with thermal imaging (outside
  7. 12:00-1:00 Lunch
  8. 1:00-3:00 Practical exercises with your own drone (outside)
The intro briefing will be posted on our web site in entirety the day after training for free use by any and everyone. We will also be giving DSAR contact cards to all pilots that are there.

We move the training sessions around to maximize attendance. We are shooting for a second training session in early June, north of Atlanta.

We are willing to consider traveling, provided someone in the target area takes the lead in organizing it and enough pilots sign up to make it worthwhile.
Wi
We're firming up an agenda. Here's what we have so far:
  • [Classroom] Briefing - Introduction to drone support for SAR operations
  • [Classroom] Introduction to Litchi software
  • [Classroom] Preplanning a waypoint flight with points of interest
  • [Outside] Demo Flying the preplanned flight with live video feed
  • [Outside] Demo of the Mavic 2 Enterprise Dual with thermal (live video feed)
  • [Outside] Practical exercises with your own drone
This will probably last from 9 AM until around 3 PM.
Would you consider recording the session and posting it up to share nation (world) wide? I'm in MN and it's too far for me to attend, but I am really very interested. My son is a volunteer firefighter and has already made mention of the possibility of exploring drone use in his department.

Wi

Would you consider recording the session and posting it up to share nation (world) wide? I'm in MN and it's too far for me to attend, but I am really very interested. My son is a volunteer firefighter and has already made mention of the possibility of exploring drone use in his department.

Probably not practical for several reasons - i..e, the interaction between pilots, the flight demos and the scenarios. However, we are planning on offering free online training starting this summer. In the meantime, our free "Into To Drone Search & Rescue" brief is an excellent place for him to start. Link is on our "Online Training" page.

www.dronesar.info

Reactions: AMann
That makes sense. I will make sure he get's the link.
Thank you!

Where and when is the the other training going to be held, by Atlanta and Virginia?

Wi

I am trying to see if any one would like to come to Indiana for training in the future?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman