DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Freewell Gear All Day ND Filter Set - DJI Mavic Air

Mad_Angler1

Reactions
eOIvISah.jpg

Freewell Gear have really been expanding their product range over the last year and along side the release of the DJI Mavic Air they have continued to release a range of products for this new model too including carry cases, device holders, individual ND filter and complete kits.

Today we are specifically looking at their All Day Filter pack for the Mavic Air, this pack contains 8 screw on filters that should pretty much cover most peoples needs.

3FGfK2yh.jpg

This kit contains a Circular Polariser and 7 double sided multi coated filters in both ND and Polarised ND that should be sufficient even in the brightest conditions. Being extremely lightweight at 0.5g for the standard ND and 0.8g for the ND/PL.

cZjRlcA.jpg

Looking at the ND filters closely you will see that they are extremely well made. The glass is perfectly fitted with no signs of adhesive and both internally and externally the machining is precise with no signs of any imperfections. Externally you can see that the Freewell name and the ND rating are marked on opposite sides. To make fitting easier Freewell have also added grips around the outside edge of the filters

zxjIpqJh.jpg

zWYxWFBh.jpg

BKtT09Qh.jpg

Moving to the Polarised ND filters these are a little larger overall compared to the ND and have a separate rotating ring on the top. If you have not used Polarised filters before these have the additional ability to restrict light from specific directions depending on where the filter is set, this means you’re able to reduce glare from the sky or remove reflections from water. To set the polarisers position you simply turn the outer ring until you get the desired effect on your footage, this is easy to do on the ground before take off.

Yis2zqdh.jpg

djMtCAah.jpg

Here you can see the difference depending where you set the Polarising position

a4WyrAsh.jpg

Fitting

DDfhZNlh.jpg

To fit you simply remove the existing ring from the Mavics camera, its worth noting that the Mavic Airs UV glass does not actually come off and you are simply removing a hollow outer ring, the filter then simply screws on in replacement onto the camera over the existing glass

TLnUVNLh.jpg

RnWV85Ah.jpg

In Use

In my tests these filters from Freewell provided excellent performance and light cut with no noticeable colour shift. Here are some frame grabs showing both the filters affect on frame rate and footage, the top image is with no filter with a recorded video frame shown on the right. The second image is ND16 and the 3rd is ND32, you can see the ND16 has lowered the shutter speed to 200 and the ND32 has reduced it further down to 30. In these conditions the ideal filter would be somewhere between the two however in actual flight I found the ND16 actually got closer to the double the frame rate rule.

8Cu41TOh.jpg

In the Box

dHHb5Veh.jpg

This kit includes 3 standard ND filters in ND4 -ND8 - ND16, Polarised ND
In ND8/PL - ND16/PL - ND32/PL - ND64/PL and a Circular Polariser

They come in a nice foam lined protective plastic case and also include a cleaning cloth.

Overall

kpomXCIh.jpg

This is a very nice high quality filter set from freewellgear.com.
Costing $129 it contains a filter for every occasion and as usual is covered by Freewells lifetime warranty.

So in conclusion If you’re looking for filters for your DJI Mavic Air these are well worth a look and are available from

DJI Mavic Air Filters and DJI Mavic Air Accessories - FREEWELL GEAR

Howdy
Nice outline of the set; I too got the very same set and found them great quality and am really pleased with them.
I found many people did not know you had to rotate polarizers to actually make them work, so I made this video, which uses the same set you're showing here.
Cheers
Ian

Howdy
Nice outline of the set; I too got the very same set and found them great quality and am really pleased with them.
I found many people did not know you had to rotate polarizers to actually make them work, so I made this video, which uses the same set you're showing here.
Cheers
Ian

What would you recommend if you had to choose? I can purchase only 4-pack from freewell, either ND or polarized (they don't sell the 8 pack here).

Just FYI, I live in Spain, so plenty of sun...

What would you recommend if you had to choose? I can purchase only 4-pack from freewell, either ND or polarized (they don't sell the 8 pack here).

Just FYI, I live in Spain, so plenty of sun...

Hi Ardeban
If I had to choose, I would recommend the plain NDs as they will have the biggest impact and not require any rotation or setting up. But if you live near water and will take lots of pictures or video over water, then the Polarized NDs would be most useful.

The most common values you would use would be ND 4, 8,16 & 32.

Cheers
Ian

If you dial the Polarised ND filter right back to zero surely you would get close to a standard ND ?

If you dial the Polarised ND filter right back to zero surely you would get close to a standard ND ?
True, but it's knowing where the 'zero' is, as there's no marks to do that. And also when you're fliming sky shots, any orientation of the PL will still affect the cloud and sky....
Cheers,
Ian

Reactions: ayapov
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78