DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gesture Control and the MavicPro

bytebiz

Reactions
I'm wondering if there are any hardware geeks here that understand the hardware requirements for implementing gesture control support in a drone. If so, I'd like to get opinions on whether it is possible to implement MavicAir-like gesture support on the MavicPro given it's current hardware configuration.

I've looked around on the forum but haven't found any definitive information about the potential for gesture support on the MavicPro hardware. Being a software guy myself I know that firmware updates can provide additional functionality, but ultimately the scope of that additional functionality is limited by the hardware.

Of course there are non-technical reasons why DJI may choose to not offer gesture support on the MavicPro in a future firmware update but I'm curious as to whether it is even a possibility.

BTW thanks to all - I've already learned a lot lurking here :)

I thought the Mavic had some gesture control? Like taking a photo or starting a video?

Ok interesting - so the pro clearly has the hardware required to recognize gestures. So the question then becomes is the hardware capable of the advanced gesture support of the air - specifically the ability to recognize gestures for controlling flight (i.e. taking off, landing and moving closer and further) and starting stopping video.

I’m gonna guess that the pro would be capable of those advanced gestures with a firmware upgrade but that’s obviously just a guess.

Ok interesting - so the pro clearly has the hardware required to recognize gestures. So the question then becomes is the hardware capable of the advanced gesture support of the air - specifically the ability to recognize gestures for controlling flight (i.e. taking off, landing and moving closer and further) and starting stopping video.

I’m gonna guess that the pro would be capable of those advanced gestures with a firmware upgrade but that’s obviously just a guess.

That’s going involve software coding: not hardware.

That’s going involve software coding: not hardware.

Eh... There may be processing limitations as well. If I'm not mistaken, and please forgive me but I don't have the specs in front of me, but I also believe that the Air has a faster chipset as well. Not to mention the faster bitrate of 100. The MP may be capable of gesture control but it may not be as smooth as on the Air.

Thx for that Lon - those seem like the kinds of hardware limitations that could limit the scope of upgraded gesture support in an MP firmware update.

I’m trying to decide between the MP and the Air, and as I work to understand which feature set maps best to how I think I will use the drone I keep thinking that the gesture support in the Air is definitely something I would use often. And if it’s unlikely that improved gesture support will be delivered in a future MP firmware upgrade then that’s a check mark in the Air column.

And while I agree with many here that the MP2 will be an awesome upgrade that could very well have upgraded gesture support I’m guessing it will be out of my price range as a first drone. The MP basic bundle can be had for the same price as the Air right now and that’s making for a difficult decision.

Thx for that Lon - those seem like the kinds of hardware limitations that could limit the scope of upgraded gesture support in an MP firmware update.

I’m trying to decide between the MP and the Air, and as I work to understand which feature set maps best to how I think I will use the drone I keep thinking that the gesture support in the Air is definitely something I would use often. And if it’s unlikely that improved gesture support will be delivered in a future MP firmware upgrade then that’s a check mark in the Air column.

And while I agree with many here that the MP2 will be an awesome upgrade that could very well have upgraded gesture support I’m guessing it will be out of my price range as a first drone. The MP basic bundle can be had for the same price as the Air right now and that’s making for a difficult decision.

Range is the main difference in my opinion. Gesture control is cool as *beep* but it only works to take pictures of yourself. It's an extension of the Follow Me mode so.... If you're REALLY into selfies, I guess. Like I mentioned before, it's something I would use to wow my friends and co workers but after that got old, I'd never use it. The nerd in me likes the rear sensors, APAS, and 100mps in the air and it's all can do to not buy it!

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan