DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gettng Cold Feet - Is Hassling The Norm or the Exception?

I read that it's a law as well, but between you and the airport. Most of the time, the airfield thanks me and says I don't have to call every time I fly, so I just document that conversation and move on.

The tower statement was confusing to me, so I notify them regardless of whether they have a tower or not...as long as Airmap has a phone number. One of the airfields near me is on an island, and there is no phone number....so I can't notify them. So does the law say I don't have to notify if there is no tower? None of the MANY airfields near me have towers.

LP
I'd call all of them once to see if they have a protocol.
You may be able to set up a long term agreement, that you'd fly under certain parameters and you won't have to call.

From reading various drone forums and media outlets - articles on law enforcement use, spying and various privacy concerns.

That is exactly why I started the thread - to see if I'm blowing it out of proportion. Thanks for your feedback!

LP

Spying?? With a drone?? Far out the thing can be heard from more than 300 meter away and has a wide angle camera.

You can spy or be spied by a cellphone easier

I went to Mexico in April , they loved it security used to ask me daily where was the mossy lol, people on beach loved it too so curious. I'm of to kos today and hope to have same response! One tip if I like , I've found if u got a family with kids around looking at it encourage them to come have a look at display and I'll find that oftern reduces the fear of the other onlookers. Then if it's safe I'll fly mavic back to me and hover it in front and show them the collision detection, dunno why but works every time for me. The other tip that I would say works is get up early and use it b4 people are around or later when less busy. I've only ever had one neighbour come knock my door asking if it was my drone when I said yes, she replied " that's ok I know u just I was worried it was some perv lol....mavic is best thing I've spent my money on in yrs the footage and memory's u get from it far out way the down sides imo

Reactions: LeafPeeper
If I may be blunt, with no disrespect meant, I would say that first, to return it to Amazon after the "period" is almost up, and knowing there's absolutely NOTHING wrong with it, is unethical.

Secondly, go fly it responsibly, and within the law and to blazes with what people have to say.

You have a right to your hobby, and so their opinion means absolutely nothing if you're within the law.

Like I said, no disrespect intended, but SUCK IT UP, and enjoy the Mavic. Don't be unethical and send it back for those reasons.

Bud

Guys,
I'm getting cold feet - and I'm wondering if you can help me. I've had my Mavic for just under a month, and I only have a few days left to return it to Amazon. So far, I LOVE it, but I've only flown it around my neighborhood. I love the pics I'm getting, and I love the quality of the 4K video. I've also been following the rules and reading everything I can get my hands on - because I want to be a safe, responsible pilot.

That said, I clearly missed some research before buying. I was unaware of the requirement to notify airports....and I wasn't aware of just how much of a stigma was attached to drones - ie: how much people hate them.

Now that I only have a few days left to return it, I find myself wondering if it's worth it. I know it's a decision only I can make, but some info from you more experienced folks could really help. I can live with the airport notification. I don't like it, but I can live with it. It's the hassling that worries me. I haven't run into it yet, but once I venture from home, I'm wondering how much of it I'll get. So that's the question to you - is hassling the norm, or is it the exception? Has anyone not been hassled? If you have been, is it more often than not? Should I expect to get it regularly? I realize that it probably depends on where you fly, population density, etc, so I guess I'd like a cross section of experiences. If everyone is hassled routinely, as much as I love it, I may just send it back and find a new hobby.

Any thoughts, experiences or opinions would be welcome.
Thanks,
LP

Last edited:
It's an exception. Like most news, you only hear the exceptions in life not real life.
I also sent a general notice using the NextDoor app. Everyone in my neighborhood uses it. (Again, only good if your neighborhood uses it) I got lots of great positive and thank you responses. It sets the tone and expectations. Key things are your priorities are PRIVACY and SAFETY in your message. They like that. If your neighborhood does not use the app, walk around and introduce yourself and what you are doing. Communication and consideration goes a long way.

X2. I fly over uninhabited areas mostly. 200' or higher for all else, except over my own property. Never been hassled, always get questions, and only had one person get their panties in a wad whilst I flew over the marsh and "ruined" the peaceful evening with my Inspire.

I forgot to mention... When I used the NextDoor app to send notices, I got a response from two of my neighbors who also fly. It was great.

So far only positive responses from neighbors, but I don't really fly over the neighborhood either, except for maybe a spur of the moment sunset or sunrise.

Also haven't had any problems with notifying airports, but I usually don't fly near them either. Earlier this month I was flying a lot near KJST, and had to call in 4 times. They were very nice, logged my name, flight plan information and registration number and that was it. Call was recorded, BTW.

Helps to have as much detail as you can when you call. I basically looked up where I was flying on Google maps, used the distance tool and measured from the airport to the area (which you should do anyway just to be sure you're within the 5 NM radius of the airport). Plan and know how high you intend to fly and tell them that too. Give them a distance and basic vector (NSEW) from the airfield. Also when and how long you will be flying. Be direct and to the point, but friendly. Remember they're working and have other duties. And remember that unless there's a TFR in place they can't deny your flight (within reason, I doubt you should test that by flying over a runway, for example) as long as you are flying under hobby rules.

Guys,
I'm getting cold feet - and I'm wondering if you can help me. I've had my Mavic for just under a month, and I only have a few days left to return it to Amazon. So far, I LOVE it, but I've only flown it around my neighborhood. I love the pics I'm getting, and I love the quality of the 4K video. I've also been following the rules and reading everything I can get my hands on - because I want to be a safe, responsible pilot.

That said, I clearly missed some research before buying. I was unaware of the requirement to notify airports....and I wasn't aware of just how much of a stigma was attached to drones - ie: how much people hate them.

Now that I only have a few days left to return it, I find myself wondering if it's worth it. I know it's a decision only I can make, but some info from you more experienced folks could really help. I can live with the airport notification. I don't like it, but I can live with it. It's the hassling that worries me. I haven't run into it yet, but once I venture from home, I'm wondering how much of it I'll get. So that's the question to you - is hassling the norm, or is it the exception? Has anyone not been hassled? If you have been, is it more often than not? Should I expect to get it regularly? I realize that it probably depends on where you fly, population density, etc, so I guess I'd like a cross section of experiences. If everyone is hassled routinely, as much as I love it, I may just send it back and find a new hobby.

Thanks,
LP

I have been flying drones for a few years and have never been hassled. Use common sense and you wont be hassled either. Flying in a neighborhood is never a good idea. find a park or open areas to fly.

Guys,

Thanks,
LP

I go bout it differently; I dont anxiously go out in my neighborhood and fly where people would/could get freaked out [they will], rather I plan on what I want to fly/film, then I scout [via google maps] a place to take off that will give me both a little distance from my subject [watefall, bridge, whatever], as well as good line of sight if possible and preferably some height for best RF performance.
A little planning goes a long ways and I have yet to have anyone hit me up with anything other than genuine interest, nice questions, etc.

Guys,

Thanks,
LP
I live in the Northwest US and I've been building and flying camera drones for 4 years and my experience is that hasseling is more the norm then the exception. I have been cursed and threatened with gunfire in the middle of the high dessert 20+ miles from anywhere and even my neighbors act as if I'm a public enemy when I fly over my own yard.

I say, don't give up! The law is on our side so long as everyone recognizes the importance of the safety requirements designed to ease people's fears. Attitudes about drones will change as they become more mainstream, but like everything else, there is a huge lag between fact and public opinion. What we are doing is revolutionizing the way people can see their world and the benefits are undeniable, but ignorance about the true nature of photography and the right to privacy is fueling resentments. I don't advocate curbing freedoms but I do wish every teenaged Tom, **** & Harry did not have access to flying machinery because the irresponsible behavior of so many is what people are most aware of. Get certified and be polite would be my advice.

Guys,

Thanks,
LP
Forget it, the Mavic is a ton of fun. I love my Mavic and I am also a regular pilot. I live 3 miles off a major runway at our local airport. It is no big deal, just get the tower direct line, your local FBO can provide that. I call them up and say this.
I am going to be flying my drone in your controlled airspace, non-commercial operation. I am 3 miles off the end of runway 30 and 20 degrees off center and I plan to fly under 200 feet or what ever. I usually limit my altitude in this space for extra safety.
The call is quick and easy, they just say thank you for letting us know. Why because if you are flying a plane under 400 ft and not directly on a landing approach (straight off the runway) you are crashing. The normal pattern height is 900 to 1,000 ft above the runway. The FAA likes an extra 500 ft of margin. Now if you are less than a mile more or directly on the approach more care needs to be taken. As for the tower folks I am guessing these calls are just a nuisance because if you fly responsibly you are no threat to any aircraft. The regulations are a bit of over kill. Less than a mile or off the end of a run way is more reasonable. When I am flying a plane I am usually over 400 ft before I clear the end of the runway on take off.

People hate the noise they make. I was camping (before I owned a Mavic) and a guy was flying nearby and the noise was annoying. He could have flown a bit further away from the campground and I would not have minded. People don't mind the drones so much as they mind inconsiderate pilots. I would have felt the same about a camper playing his stereo too loud late at night, which also happened on the same trip.

If people are nearby, just go ask, do you mind if I fly my drone? You will be surprised by the change in attitude if you ask politely. If they do then go somewhere else. Drones are sort of like jet skis. A lot of people find them annoying. In our community, the jet skiers have an area of the river where they operate and make a ton of noise and nobody cares because they have self-regulated and kept their activity to a limited space. The rest of the river is quiet and peaceful.

Last edited:
In the 7 months of flying......I have had only one negative person experience (who was very much in our faces) and dozens of positive ones. Most people are curious and love to see them in action or learn more.

I love my Mavic and whenever I fly it near people I always get people who come up to me and want to learn more about it and express positive interest. I live in San Diego, in between 5 airports/military airports, with that said I DO NOT call every tower every time I fly in my neighborhood or nearby parks. I NEVER fly above 400' and when I do fly near the coast or close to an air installment I go up, get my shots and come down. The rules are designed for people who break them intentionally or push the limits and I have found that when Im doing my best to stay within them I never have any problems. The Mavic is not a toy drone but an arial camera designed for photography, if you using it more for a toy I would return it and get a Spark for half the price but if your intent is to use it for photography/video I would keep it.

You have to weigh whether keeping it in the case unless/until you feel confident enough to assert your rights is worth the $$$. Even if you only use it a few times (vs. flying every day), if those few times help you capture scenes you'd otherwise only dream of, it may well be worth it to keep it. OTOH, if you're going to fret over the tied up funds in a sitting/depreciating device that rarely gets used, I think you'd be better off returning it.

I flew regularly in FL, in a 1000+ home gated community with homes so close together, if I needed milk, I'd simply open my kitchen window, reach across, and knock on my neighbors kitchen window. Well, not quite, but you get the idea. Even there, I was never harassed or challenged. But, I also made it a point to never loiter, or fly lower than 200' if possible.

I live in the UK and had no problems as yet!

I have been flying multirotors since before they started calling them drones.
I always try to stay safe, legal, responsible.
I have flown them all over the US coast to coast and have never been harassed. I once had a LEO in a small town (Population 600) pull off the road and drive across the field to where I was flying just to check out what I was doing. He was courteous basically wanted to check out what I was doing, told me I was okay to fly there as long as I respected the privacy of the near by homes.

I live in the UK, have been flying drones for over 2 years ( 1 year pre Mavic) and only ever had one bad reaction from a red necked farmer while filming his lovely trees and hedges from 200' in the middle of no where and from the road would you believe !
I do fly over rivers and streams regularly and lots of folks will come over to see out of curiosity, if they are interested I get their email address and provide them with a utube link so they can see themselves, house, farm etc ....they soon become fans.

I have some mildly belligerent people approach me. I have to bite my tongue, as it has always been larger women who think I will spy on them. I have to delicately ask, 'why, for eff sake would I do that?'

Now...for your other question....

The mavic is a flying camera. So trust me on this, you would quickly get bored flying it around yo neighborhood. Get the map out and start looking for fun places near you that are scenic. Then...do you travel? The mavic is easy to transport. Think about bringing it with you to capture where you go.

Always think....photography....and use that as guide.

I have some mildly belligerent people approach me. I have to bite my tongue, as it has always been larger women who think I will spy on them. I have to delicately ask, 'why, for eff sake would I do that?'

Now...for your other question....

The mavic is a flying camera. So trust me on this, you would quickly get bored flying it around yo neighborhood. Get the map out and start looking for fun places near you that are scenic. Then...do you travel? The mavic is easy to transport. Think about bringing it with you to capture where you go.

Always think....photography....and use that as guide.

Well the return window closed yesterday, and as I said a few days ago, I decided to keep it. I actually have very little interest in 'flying' it. As you say, I bought it as an aerial camera, and I'm using it as just that. Get up take the video or shots, and get down....but you're right. I've got enough shots from my backyard now. :)

Thanks for the responses everyone.

LP

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair