DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal cover cracked on new MP

Marko5584

Reactions
i just received a brand new Mavic pro and upon opening I noticed (right out of the box) the plastic cap that protects the gimbal and camera has a small piece broken off the top and the plastic cap has a crack down its side. Should I go any farther or should i return it?

Marko

Was the box sealed? Did you buy from an authorized DJI dealer? Got a photo of what you're describing?

Yes. The box was sealed.
I am not sure if the vendor was an authorized DJI dealer. Got some photos but they are not very revealing.

I am wondering if the camera may have suffered excessive vibration while in transit while the gimbal clamp was not snugly fit.

It seems odd that everything else arrived safely. Are you sure the cover is really damaged?

IMG_0887.JPG IMG_0888.JPG

Not sure if you can see the crack in the upper left of the man piece. The little latch is snapped off.

i just received a brand new Mavic pro and upon opening I noticed (right out of the box) the plastic cap that protects the gimbal and camera has a small piece broken off the top and the plastic cap has a crack down its side. Should I go any farther or should i return it?

Marko

I would contact DJI customer support and tell them to send you a new gimbal bubble.

I have ordered hundreds of Mavics and, unfortunately, the clip that holds the bubble to the frame is a weak point, and will crack sometimes during shipment, and other times down the road. Maybe 20% of the Mavics I have received have a cracked bubble clip.

DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography

Last edited:
Not sure if you can see the crack in the upper left of the man piece.
Yes, I can see the crack.

The gimbal cover really isn't that sturdy. Perhaps it was installed incorrectly and/or faulty to begin with. I doubt damage like that happened from rough shipping. The Mavic is packed pretty well, so it should be able to handle the usual ride that packages take.

If you decide to keep your Mavic, I recommend you skip contacting DJI Support and just buy this gimbal cover for $7 instead. Not only is it more sturdy than the OEM gimbal cover, it has a built-in lock so you don't have to attach the gimbal lock and cover separately. Plus, you won't have to spend your time working with support to get the original subpar gimbal cover replaced. The tabs on my OEM gimbal cover cracked after my Mavic was about 6 months old, so that's what I replaced it with. I highly recommend it.

GimbalCover.jpg

Last edited:
The gimbal cover really isn't that sturdy. Perhaps it was installed incorrectly and/or faulty to begin with. I doubt damage like that happened from rough shipping. The Mavic is packed pretty well, so it should be able to handle the usual ride that packages take.

Are you saying that the gimbal bubble was not damaged during shipping and that DJI installed a cracked one at the factory? I have seen gimbal locks installed incorrectly, but this is the bubble.

The chat with DJI will take you 20 minutes and they will send you a free replacement bubble. You will need to send your broken one in.

Reactions: Hill34top
You know of many stories where gimbal covers have been damaged like this in shipping? I spend most of my waking hours on DJI forums and have never seen anyone post something like this.

Yep. As I said, I have ordered, bought and sold hundreds of these critters, and at least 20% of the time the gimbal bubble is cracked at the clip (latch). Seems like the ones with the black rubber outer cover snap off less than the ones that came without the black rubber cover. That adds more insulation to the packaging and snugness of the bubble. I think the latch design is the same.

When I return a repair to a customer I ALWAYS scotch tape the gimbal bubble down at the clamp to try and prevent it from breaking. Only 1 broke in the scores I have sent back. Some people rubber band the bubble to the drone.

Bubble scotch tape.jpg Bubble scotch tape + rubber band.jpg

Last edited:
They will probably send you a free replacement, or buy one for under $5 from a well known online action site.
They are somewhat fragile, it's worth having a spare.
The version which also locks the gimbal works quite well but if you use filters it's nice to have the separate lock to hold it safely as you push filters on.

Reactions: Former Member
Hey friend, you are the only one ranting here. A baseless one at that. I thought you were done debating?
I'm not trying to debate with you. I apologize if you thought that's what was going on. We're just two professional approved vendors sharing completely different experiences I guess.

4Yrut.gif
Boy I see lot's of deleted post in this .Makes the thread look funny .
You post it leave it .
Thanks .

Reactions: dalawre2
The rest of the package seems to be impeccably packaged. Love the way the other props are concealed in the box. At first I though I was missing them Everything else looks good. i think I will try to get it going since I have a few days off

Compared to my phantom 3 standard, this quad is eloquent!

Marko

Compared to my phantom 3 standard, this quad is eloquent!
No doubt. DJI continues to step up their game with each new drone released. Their packaging is very Apple-like these days.

Just a quick question, are you planning on flying with the clear protector on the AC? It's highly advised NOT to as it can cause excess heat to build up, and also can cause major glare issues.

It's highly advised NOT to as it can cause excess heat to build up, and also can cause major glare issues.
I've seen photos showing glare from flying with the gimbal cover, but never anything about damage from excessive heat build up. Got any links you can point us to with more information about that problem?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kotszamana