DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal issues

dillonod12

Reactions
Hi,

I have been reading a lot on this forum for a while now and there is some great content on here and this is my first post.

I bought a mavic pro a few weeks ago, I bought it second hand. It flies great and it is great fun flying it. There seems to be something up with the camera on it though. The picture & video quality is poor (kind of like its being recorded on an old mobile phone), I have attached some pictures.

Now when the drone got to me the gimbal cover was broken, the guy I bought it off said it was perfect when he sent it so I think there could of been some damage during shipping. Everything else works perfect, there are no error messages when flying and I can move the gimbal while flying the drone so I am hoping someone who knows a bit more about mavics than me can tell me whats wrong.

I have tried all kinds of settings as I thought the white balance or something was off but in auto and manual settings the issue is the same. Also as you can see from the image of the shoebox which I have attached the quality is so poor and this is not right for a 4K camera. (I have double checked and I am using the 4K setting). I have reset the drone using the DJI Assistant 2 PC app but still no joy.

Please have a look at the images I have attached and let me know your thoughts. Is there damage to the gimbal or is it something to do with the settings?

Thanks

Attachments

• screen_81877c64ae94a198_1514467303035.jpg
    screen_81877c64ae94a198_1514467303035.jpg
    403.5 KB · Views: 42
  • screen_e7db8397b36a0903_1514403047176.jpg
    screen_e7db8397b36a0903_1514403047176.jpg
    402.3 KB · Views: 46
  • screen_2ba72f54c3f7ebff_1514467357805.jpg
    screen_2ba72f54c3f7ebff_1514467357805.jpg
    395.5 KB · Views: 41
Are these images from the SD card?

Yeah.
It looks the same on the screen of my phone when I am flying it. There is so much white on the screen I can hardly see.
Yeah you got camera issues...especially since you stated that the gimbal was broken. It's one thing to have a broken gimbal, but I think it happened during a crash

Disregard...I just read your original post and it is the Gimbal Cover thats broke, not the gimbal.

You are rotating the right upper thumbwheel on the Remote Controller to adjust Exposure right? What happens when you move the thumbwheel quite a bit? Does it reduce and increase the amount of light let in to the camera sensor?

Disregard...I just read your original post and it is the Gimbal Cover thats broke, not the gimbal.
Yeah the gimbal is fine (well it looks fine anyway), I have attached some pictures of the gimbal for you to see yourself.

Attachments

• 20171228_163409copy.jpg
    20171228_163409copy.jpg
    841 KB · Views: 25
  • 20171228_163424.jpg
    20171228_163424.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 24
You are rotating the right upper thumbwheel on the Remote Controller to adjust Exposure right? What happens when you move the thumbwheel quite a bit? Does it reduce and increase the amount of light let in to the camera sensor?
I don't think I've ever used that upper right wheel (at least not intentionally) and unfortunately I do not have the drone with me at the minute to test that. Could I maybe have moved that my accident and that's whats causing the issue?

I don't think I've ever used that upper right wheel (at least not intentionally) and unfortunately I do not have the drone with me at the minute to test that. Could I maybe have moved that my accident and that's whats causing the issue?
Quite possibly, I have a tendency to move it accidentally.

The upper right thumbwheel changes exposure values and lets in more or less light. Since your pictures are way overexposed there is too much light entering the camera sensor. If I saw this when flying I would just rotate the right thumbwheel downwards to change the exposure value so the image was not so crazy blown out.

Absolutely could have touched it with your right fingers by accident.

Please begin to use that thumbwheel when you have a chance to better expose your shots. Clarity should increase as you properly adjust your exposure.

Any time you suspect too much light or too little light just rotate that thumbwheel up or down and observe the results on the live video feed to dial in just the perfect amount of light. Now, If you rotate the thumbwheel a bunch of clicks in either direction and you see no change - THEN you may have a problem.

Reactions: Drone Master
You dont even need to be airborne to alter and correct for exposure issues. I would connect and alter without taking flight as its a time saver :)
I will definitely give this a try, unfortunately it will be a few days before I get home to try it out.
You said that this lets in more/less light depending on what way you turn it. I have taken images from inside where there is no sunlight and the resolution is still poor, you reckon this could be the cause even for indoor images?

Attachments

• screen_e7db8397b36a0903_1514403047176.jpg
    screen_e7db8397b36a0903_1514403047176.jpg
    402.3 KB · Views: 7
I will definitely give this a try, unfortunately it will be a few days before I get home to try it out.
You said that this lets in more/less light depending on what way you turn it. I have taken images from inside where there is no sunlight and the resolution is still poor, you reckon this could be the cause even for indoor images?

I think you should alter your Exposure Value using the thumbwheel first to make sure that it allows one to change exposure. Then observe.

Mess with the expisure.. u are focusing also correct? And remember u have to get the images off of sdcard or download them thru app to your phone to see the real quality. Make sure u are not looking at the cached version

Mess with the expisure.. u are focusing also correct? And remember u have to get the images off of sdcard or download them thru app to your phone to see the real quality. Make sure u are not looking at the cached version
I am hoping it was the exposure wheel on the back right of the RC, I haven't got a chance to fly yet to see if this definitely is the issue.
Yeah I was focusing correct, I was constantly tapping the screen to focus on the shoebox in the picture above but the quality didn't improve at all.
What do you recommend is the best way to get the images off the SD card? Do you remove the SD card from the drone and insert it to PC or is there an easier way than this?

I am hoping it was the exposure wheel on the back right of the RC, I haven't got a chance to fly yet to see if this definitely is the issue.
Yeah I was focusing correct, I was constantly tapping the screen to focus on the shoebox in the picture above but the quality didn't improve at all.
What do you recommend is the best way to get the images off the SD card? Do you remove the SD card from the drone and insert it to PC or is there an easier way than this?
For photos and up to 1080p video you can just hit the little playback button on the bottom right to view your pictures and stuff then you will see once you tap on the pictures or video you will see a little arrow for downloading right to the device.... Now for 4K video and big files you would want to just copy files over from the SD card

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan