DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Golf in Scotland & Ireland This Summer

MarcObarlow

Reactions
I'm celebrating a landmark birthday this year and planning to be at the Open Championship in mid-July with my wife. As part of the trip I hope to find a few "hidden-gem" golf courses to play. I don't feel compelled to play the Rota courses. I' really looking for a Shivas Irons experience. Our plans are pretty fluid (we will be driving) but I need to start finalizing an itinerary.
I'd be very interested in any recommendations for great, out-of-the-way golf courses. I will be playing alone so if you play and want to connect, that would be great as well. I play to a 14 handicap in the US.
Thanks in advance!

There are loads of great golf courses to the the east of Edinburgh in a region known as 'East Lothian' just hop on some of the review type sites. I was lucky enough to play The Renaissance a few years ago. Absolutely amazing place, but you'll find it very hard to get a game there.

If you don't mind a few hours drive south of the Two big cities of Glasgow and Edinburgh, Silloth is in an area in North of England called the 'Lake District' and is always raved about, as a region is worth a visit too. I'm playing there later in the year myself

I play quite a bit of golf, and if you want guaranteed weather and superb courses while you are in Europe I suggest a stopover in Portugal. I've been on about 5 or 6 trips out there golfing and it is incredible.

Thanks for the info & links, Dylanjibmonkey! I know what I'm getting into with the weather. I'd love to visit Portugal (& Spain) eventually. We're actually staying 4 nights in Edinburgh before spending Wed & Th at the Open Championship. Do I need to contact the course pro in advance to pre-arrange a game? When I travel with my wife, I generally play as a single and get paired with a 2-some or 3-some.
What about caddies? Are they required at most courses? What is a customary tip for a caddie?

I've never played with a caddie, that's not really a thing over here. Maybe at the really high end golf complexes it might be an option. You may get paired up with other players though, and nearby courses to the Open will be busier than normal. Give Teeofftimes.co.uk: Discount Tee Times At 1,700+ Golf Courses a check re booking, I've never really used it much but some of my friends use it quite a bit.

I live in Manchester now but was brought up in Edinburgh and moved away when I was in my early 20's, my Mum still lives there. It's a superb city, Loads of hidden gems. Don't go full tourist and hit the obvious bars and restaurants, there are loads of great places hidden in side streets or with a single doorway leading to a basement or upstairs restaurant/bar. :)

The place explodes with people in August because of the Edinburgh festival, so its actually quite a good time to be in the city when you're there. Oh and re weather, Its not as bad as everyone makes out. Bring shorts, just in case! ;)

Caddies are not prevalent in the US either. I've been on a few sites that said "caddies required". I've used them a few times and it was a great experience, like a barber shave, but not something I would want to do every time out.
Thanks for the Edinburgh tips and links to the booking sites. You reminded me, I need to check to see if GolfNow books tee times in Scotland & Ireland.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan