DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Good Locations within Two Hours of Manhattan for First Flight

BenjaminNYC

Reactions
Hello, all. Plan to take my drone out for my first flights this weekend, and I'm looking for locations within two hours (or so) of Manhattan.

The first flight this weekend will be my first flight ever, so I was thinking a simple drone-friendly park may be a good start. However, after some practice, it might be nice to fly someplace with some good stuff to see. Happy to hit up multiple locations, as in: simple park first, then something more interesting afterwards.

Can anyone recommend a simple itinerary? I have a car and a whole day to kill, so travel time isn't a problem.

Thanks!
-B.

Hello, all. Plan to take my drone out for my first flights this weekend, and I'm looking for locations within two hours (or so) of Manhattan.

The first flight this weekend will be my first flight ever, so I was thinking a simple drone-friendly park may be a good start. However, after some practice, it might be nice to fly someplace with some good stuff to see. Happy to hit up multiple locations, as in: simple park first, then something more interesting afterwards.

Can anyone recommend a simple itinerary? I have a car and a whole day to kill, so travel time isn't a problem.

Thanks!
-B.

With or without traffic? ?

If I was in your area here's how I research.

1. Use Google Maps and find outdoor public land (usually green). Less civilization the better. In this case, 50miles north of you I liked Lake Welch Beach in Harriman State Park. The beach should be almost vacant in December. Wide open area, woods all around you, it's a good spot.

2. Check the weather for the day you're going. Memorize wind direction and use winds gusting as your threshold.

3. Check skyvector.com and get familiar with local airspace and see if there are any large towers in the area. Airmap is also a good app to check.

4. Research the area you're headed to and ensure there are no weird anti UAS laws, in remote areas (except NATIONAL Parks) they're are usually no laws and any in place usually deal with UAS+HUNTING.

5. Check weather before you drive one more time and have fun when you're there.

Post results!

Gl

With or without traffic? ?

If I was in your area here's how I research.

1. Use Google Maps and find outdoor public land (usually green). Less civilization the better. In this case, 50miles north of you I liked Lake Welch Beach in Harriman State Park. The beach should be almost vacant in December. Wide open area, woods all around you, it's a good spot.

2. Check the weather for the day you're going. Memorize wind direction and use winds gusting as your threshold.

3. Check skyvector.com and get familiar with local airspace and see if there are any large towers in the area. Airmap is also a good app to check.

4. Research the area you're headed to and ensure there are no weird anti UAS laws, in remote areas (except NATIONAL Parks) they're are usually no laws and any in place usually deal with UAS+HUNTING.

5. Check weather before you drive one more time and have fun when you're there.

Post results!

Gl
Thanks, that's super helpful. Based on this thread:

Hudson Valley New York

I'm thinking of Bannerman's Castle on Pollepel Island off Breakneck Ridge. Looks like there is a good a secluded takeoff platform. But first to find a nearby park to practice at for a while.

Thanks, that's super helpful. Based on this thread:

Hudson Valley New York

I'm thinking of Bannerman's Castle on Pollepel Island off Breakneck Ridge. Looks like there is a good a secluded takeoff platform. But first to find a nearby park to practice at for a while.

Np. Regarding your choice, consider that large bodies of water are exponentially less forgiving than inland. In other words, you should stay away from water until you thoroughly understand every aspect of your UAS. Many fly aways happen over water, it's really an intermediate to advanced terrain vice in woods. Food for thought.

Np. Regarding your choice, consider that large bodies of water are exponentially less forgiving than inland. In other words, you should stay away from water until you thoroughly understand every aspect of your UAS. Many fly aways happen over water, it's really an intermediate to advanced terrain vice in woods. Food for thought.
You know what? You're right. I think I will try to find some interesting places over land! Back to searching. I was thinking Pound Ridge Reservation, but I'm not sure how interesting it will be. But I should walk before I fly (pun intended).

Exit 18 off i-95 in CT is Sherwood Island State Park. You can fly there. There is even a flying club that has its own area but I think you have to be a member to use it. I used it a few times since nobody was there. Pretty much most of Fairfield County is legally flyable and within 50 miles of NYC.

Exit 18 off i-95 in CT is Sherwood Island State Park. You can fly there. There is even a flying club that has its own area but I think you have to be a member to use it. I used it a few times since nobody was there. Pretty much most of Fairfield County is legally flyable and within 50 miles of NYC.
Thanks!

Wait, what about this?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78