DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Got the dreaded jello effect in cold weather. Hit some branches and then it was stable again.

dzucker

Reactions
So I've been reading the forums and I know a lot of people get this jello effect when flying in sub-zero cold weather. Some say the drone needs to acclimatize before flying it. I didn't do that, I just took it out of my warm car and flew it straight away while sitting in the car. So it was out in the cold (-7°C) for less than a minute before take off, and the vibrations (Jello effect) started at about 1 minute into the flight. Then at about the 4 minute mark, I accidentally hit some tree branches. The drone fell, but luckily it didn't hit the ground, it started hovering again about a foot from the ground. I continued flying it and the shaky video was completely gone. Then I got out of the car and flew it for another 45 minutes and the video footage was still fine. I'm wondering what caused it to stop vibrating. Was there a bit of condensation on the gimbal and the impact with the branches knocked that condensation off? What do you guys think?

See the footage below.

By the way, the following morning, it was -12°C out. So I tried acclimatizing it first, I put it outside without the battery for about 20 minutes. When I was ready to fly it, it asked me to calibrate the compass, I did that. I also re-centered the gimbal while I was at it. Tried taking off and the Jello effect was really bad. I tried moving the gimbal up and down using the controller and noticed that it wouldn't even go all the way up to level. Then I got a warning message about the gimbal, can't remember what it said exactly, something about the power or something. I just landed it right away. Then I redid the all the calibrations. I sent it back up and it was much better, but now that I see the footage on my computer, there's definitely still a jello effect, but not as bad as the video above. Also when it was up at about 25 meters, I got a warning that it was too cold and suggested that I bring it back. It also wasn't responding too well to my controller, so I tried to do a return to home. It started off good, it went up to 40 meters which is what I have it set to for RTH. It started coming back to me, then I noticed it was actually flying backwards away from me. It wasn't even windy. So I took back control and flew it back manually, but it was a bit of a struggle as it wasn't responding too well. I've since flown it in the house and it was fine, no jello effect, so I'm not worried about the drone, it's definitely the cold causing the problems.

Reactions: old man mavic
jello is caused by vibrations from the drone being transmitted through to the camera, it is more noticable if the props are out of balance, and the camera is hard mounted to the body of the drone ,DJI have almost eliminated it by mounting their cameras on very flexible rubber mounts, i think that it is the extreme cold that is causing those mounts to be less flexible and that is causing the problem its also apparent that the way the MMs camera is attached to the body, is different to other mavics on the way it hangs on the mounts

Reactions: WithTheBirds
Maybe a prop blade or boom arm or wasn't fully extended or the dampers on the gimbal not sitting properly.

Is this a one off?

@DanMan32- this is what jello looks like- vibration induced.

Reactions: old man mavic
Maybe a prop blade or boom arm or wasn't fully extended or the dampers on the gimbal not sitting properly.

Could be, but this was a continuous 5 min flight. The first minute was fine, and then slowly it started getting worse until I hit the branch at around the 4 min mark.

Is this a one off?

Hitting trees? Yup. :) Don't plan on doing that again. :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turtle27mike