DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Green and Red Strobe Plus one White Strobe on top

JamesJB

Reactions
Hi guys soon I will be getting this;

Strobe Light Mounts

My question is do I put one Strobe Red facing Front and another Strobe Green facing Backwards? or would it be vice versa?
I will also be putting one White Strobe on top.
I want to try and follow what a Manned aircraft Navigation lights are like.

I have these strobes I just brought;

Strobe Lights

I just want to make sure I put the lights on correctly following FAA rules like on a Manned Aircraft as close as possible.
I got the lights and soon the mounts for the Mavic Air 2S

Thank you for any help.

Last edited:
Reactions: FireAnt
Here's my set up.

Green front right.

Red front left.

Two whites on the rear.

I don't have one on the top.1673515235060.png

I don't have 4 lights unfortunately.
So would the green or red go on the front?

I have the Air2S so even if I did have 4 light's won't that make the drone heavier? I also have leg extensions for my drone,kept getting scared how close the camera was getting to the ground :(

I don't have 4 lights unfortunately.
So would the green or red go on the front?

I have the Air2S so even if I did have 4 light's won't that make the drone heavier? I also have leg extensions for my drone,kept getting scared how close the camera was getting to the ground :(

That's what I would do, but if you want to balance the load, Green front right, Red left rear.

This may help with the orientation of the aircraft from the PIC perspective when flying.

My MA2 flies fine with the strobes and I fly day or night with them.

Ok awesome thank you.

won't that make the drone heavier?
Any additional pieces that you attach to your drone will add weight and has some effects. The heavier it is, the more power it will consume to keep it in the air. Probably would be difficult to calculate that variance.
The other consideration would be drag produced by the added legs and brackets for the lights. Also could be a minor amount of difference.
There are several Velcro type products available that can take the place of the plastic strobe mounts that seem to be very popular. 3M dual-lock is a very usable product.
Any landing pad will solve the long leg issue. I’ve used the simple exercise foam pad (two foot square) for leveling and dust reduction for some time now.
Fly safe!

Forgive me if I have asked you this before but that strobe kit looks super cool and effective. With my ageing eyes I could do with some VLOS assistance! The holders seems to be tailor made for a certain brand/shape of strobe and clip on easily but safely.

Reactions: raymairjr
Forgive me if I have asked you this before but that strobe kit looks super cool and effective. With my ageing eyes I could do with some VLOS assistance! The holders seems to be tailor made for a certain brand/shape of strobe and clip on easily but safely.

I purchased the holders from Aerial-Pixel, an approved vendor on this Forum.

And the strobes are from Firehouse.

Reactions: dgibbphoto
Post #2 is correct. If you place red on the back left, when I see that I would assume it's coming toward me at an angle, not going away as it would be. Green right red left on front. This has nothing to do with weight.

Post #2 is correct. If you place red on the back left, when I see that I would assume it's coming toward me at an angle, not going away as it would be. Green right red left on front. This has nothing to do with weight.
So would you recommend I get 2 more lights then? So 2 red in back and 2 green in front?
If I am reading and understanding correctly on a manned aircraft with red meaning don't approach and green in front meaning i'm coming towards you or something like that.

Or would it be 2 red in front and green on back? I am confusing my self here lol.

I am just trying to follow on how the lights on a Manned craft would be like.

So would you recommend I get 2 more lights then? So 2 red in back and 2 green in front?
If I am reading and understanding correctly on a manned aircraft with red meaning don't approach and green in front meaning i'm coming towards you or something like that.

Or would it be 2 red in front and green on back?

I am just trying to follow on how the lights on a Manned craft would be like.
No, red and green are always to be in front so as to give the orientation of the aircraft coming towards you or to other aircraft, red left green right. place whites in back as shown in post #2.

No, red and green are always to be in front so as to give the orientation of the aircraft coming towards you or to other aircraft, red left green right. place whites in back as shown in post #2.
Ok thank you.

I also will be putting a white light on top too,someone recommended that I do that for some reason. I am guessing it helps aircraft see ya better from the top maybe?

Oh ok,do I need to put a white light on top too like someone recommended or not necessary?

One other thing,do i have the lights blink/strobe or should they stay solid?

I am guessing it helps aircraft see ya better from the top maybe?

Yes. That is correct.

The white light should be mounted on top for manned aircraft to see you.

I have a wetsuit for my MA2 and not sure if the top mount from Aerial-Pixel would fit properly.

DJI Strobe Mounts

The ARC V's do provide a little bit of angle to be viewed from above and below.

IMG_20210119_190003576_2.jpg

Ok cool. lol so 2 white in the back one on top and red and green in front. Lol if ya can't see my drone after all this you would have to be blind LOL.

• Haha
Reactions: MA2 317
Oh ok,do I need to put a white light on top too like someone recommended or not necessary?

One other thing,do i have the lights blink/strobe or should they stay solid?

I usually have them all strobing.

But sometimes I'll have the front two and one rear flashing. The other white one I'll leave on.

There's also the bottom auxiliary light that's built into the aircraft that could be toggled off and on via the remote.

It's not as bright but may work to locate the aircraft by the PIC if the strobes stop working for some reason.

Ok thank you very much.

More to look at if someone is buying lights. I do think they are brighter than the firehouse.

Reactions: Dbez1
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78