DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Guy tries to shoot my drone down. Fail.

Bhines1982

Reactions
I am flying my mavic 2 around the neighborhood and I see three guys trying to break into a car. So I was like... cool I’ll film this in case they are breaking into this car.

The next thing I know I here a loud bang! They shot at my drone. Luckily I was paying attention and got the hell out of there. It was a close call for sure.

Are you going to report an unlawful discharge of firearm within city limits complaint? Hard to prove that the firearm was actually discharged and not just pointed towards your bird.
Something does not seem right about the person trying to open that locked car. It does seem suspicious although the car was seemingly parked upon thier property.

There are some bad actors there for sure and a follow up by the local PD may be in order. That is unless they know specifically where you live.

Very suspicious. Too many coincidences and incongruent activities to support validity of this footage.

1) The drone is focused on a fellow who demonstrates NO suspicious activity. So there’s no apparent reason to zoom in on him at all. He’s merely walking by one of three vehicles in a private home driveway. The presence of THREE vehicles there, in broad daylight, calls into question if anyone would choose to attempt breaking into a vehicle while other people are obviously present.

2) The pilot leaves the “action” in the center of his vision - the fellow simply walking by a parked vehicle - and arbitrarily pans to the right to capture 2 other males who, again, are not demonstrating any suspicious activity. Why? Looks like they are just leaving the house. So a) why turn the camera on them? and b) how did the OP even know to turn his drone camera in that direction unless he’s psychic?

3) Suddenly a weapon appears. Most car theives do not carry weapons with them while breaking into a vehicle due to felony gun laws that would make them face more time if they did so. The “shooter” does not spend any time trying to find the drone; he instantly aims directly at it. The quiet props of the Mavic 2 -especially if heard at the height it appears to be flying - strains credulity that the “shooter” would hear the aircraft and therefore know exactly where to aim his gun. Wyatt Earp couldn’t even respond so swiftly.

4) The OP appears to be a recent pilot, having joined this forum about 7 weeks ago. The chances of him happening to be in flight over a private residence at just the right time to capture illegal activity are incredibly slim. Furthermore, the chances of him capturing such footage that includes a gun-wielding gangsta who knows a drone had caught him during the commission of a crime - which had not even occurred - makes those chances even less likely. Moreover, at the end of the OP’s footage, the car door is clearly open without any apparent trouble in doing so. Given the vehicle is a recent model, it undoubtedly would be equipped with a theft alarm system, and there is no indication any such alarm was sounded as the men just go about their business.

5) Frisco, TX, is a highly populated suburb of the Dallas-Ft. Worth metropolitan area. According to Texas drone laws, filming private individuals on private property as the OP appears to have done is blatantly illegal. Video captured of illegal activities via drones is inadmissible in Court there unless it is captured by certain authorized individuals and for specific reasons.

My conclusion: BS. Less credible than the drone threats alleged at airports across the planet that remain unproven. That is my take on this.

Something in this video just doesn't seem right. If the 2 guys are coming FROM the house why would they be breaking into the car? Is it possible someone simply locked their keys in the car?

Did you call law enforcement?

Something in this video just doesn't seem right. If the 2 guys are coming FROM the house why would they be breaking into the car? Is it possible someone simply locked their keys in the car?

Did you call law enforcement?

Something tells me the OP did not expect any scrutiny of his footage. I’ll be surprised if he responds to any questions about this alleged incident when pressed for answers. If he had contacted law enforcement I would think he would’ve made mention about it in his post.

Very suspicious. Too many coincidences and incongruent activities to support validity of this footage.

1) The drone is focused on a fellow who demonstrates NO suspicious activity. So there’s no apparent reason to zoom in on him at all. He’s merely walking by one of three vehicles in a private home driveway. The presence of THREE vehicles there, in broad daylight, calls into question if anyone would choose to attempt breaking into a vehicle while other people are obviously present.

2) The pilot leaves the “action” in the center of his vision - the fellow simply walking by a parked vehicle - and arbitrarily pans to the right to capture 2 other males who, again, are not demonstrating any suspicious activity. Why? Looks like they are just leaving the house. So a) why turn the camera on them? and b) how did the OP even know to turn his drone camera in that direction unless he’s psychic?

3) Suddenly a weapon appears. Most car theives do not carry weapons with them while breaking into a vehicle due to felony gun laws that would make them face more time if they did so. The “shooter” does not spend any time trying to find the drone; he instantly aims directly at it. The quiet props of the Mavic 2 -especially if heard at the height it appears to be flying - strains credulity that the “shooter” would hear the aircraft and therefore know exactly where to aim his gun. Wyatt Earp couldn’t even respond so swiftly.

4) The OP appears to be a recent pilot, having joined this forum about 7 weeks ago. The chances of him happening to be in flight over a private residence at just the right time to capture illegal activity are incredibly slim. Furthermore, the chances of him capturing such footage that includes a gun-wielding gangsta who knows a drone had caught him during the commission of a crime - which had not even occurred - makes those chances even less likely. Moreover, at the end of the OP’s footage, the car door is clearly open without any apparent trouble in doing so. Given the vehicle is a recent model, it undoubtedly would be equipped with a theft alarm system, and there is no indication any such alarm was sounded as the men just go about their business.

5) Frisco, TX, is a highly populated suburb of the Dallas-Ft. Worth metropolitan area. According to Texas drone laws, filming private individuals on private property as the OP appears to have done is blatantly illegal. Video captured of illegal activities via drones is inadmissible in Court there unless it is captured by certain authorized individuals and for specific reasons.

My conclusion: BS. Less credible than the drone threats alleged at airports across the planet that remain unproven. That is my take on this.

You make way too many assumptions and are overthinking the situation.
There is no proof to back up any of what you say.
What you say is not any more believable than what the OP claims.
One thing I do know is that there is well and truelly fast becoming a case of DDS in society. DDS = DRONE DERANGEMENT SYNDROME.

The paranoia of drones is just out of control and people DO go to extremes to stop drones from flying no matter whether matter whether the drone is even looking at them or not.
People just go mental about drones these days.

You make way too many assumptions and are overthinking the situation.
There is no proof to back up any of what you say.
What you say is not any more believable than what the OP claims.
One thing I do know is that there is well and truelly fast becoming a case of DDS in society. DDS = DRONE DERANGEMENT SYNDROME.

The paranoia of drones is just out of control and people DO go to extremes to stop drones from flying no matter whether matter whether the drone is even looking at them or not.
People just go mental about drones these days.

If I came out of my house and noticed a drone literally spying on me I would have a very bad outlook on drones as well. The OP was clearly spying and a LOT of that video does not add up at all.

Defend it all you want but all is not as it seems in this video.

If a drone is hovering at the front of my house I don't give a [Moderator remove language], so what, someone working on a roof next door can see the same thing and nobody is concerned about that!. Same applies to the backyard.
You are in bad need of a reality check buddy.

If a drone is hovering at the front of my house I don't give a [Moderator remove language], so what, someone working on a roof next door can see the same thing and nobody is concerned about that!. Same applies to the backyard.
You are in bad need of a reality check buddy.

Oh please do enlighten me. I'm new to this whole industry...(NOT). I was flying these contraptions before you started taking in air on this planet but I still encourage you to enlighten me how spying on someone with a drone is even remotely acceptable behavior.

wasnt just a parked car, it was private property. Suspicious is looking inside a parked vehicle while its on private property...Doubt its real but cant follow your logic. 3 guys on my property one with a (pistol looking onject) and one looking into my vehicle window while parked in my drivway....? I mean, nice call on the car alarm,, it “undoubtably” has no alarm. I dont know about you but if I was going to break in to a car in a highly populated area in broad daylight, I would check to see if the door is open so I dont have to break it and see if there are any blinking lights indicating an alarm and have 2 of my buddies as lookouts or a distraction to the home owner. Your just shooting out wild *** guesses not fact, made to sound make you sound smart... Just sayn, the video is questionable at best, and yes zooming and flying over individuals isnt a recomended practice, but flying your bird around the neighbor is, and If i saw some shady stuff at my neighbors house id stick around too. Rather be safe than sorry and give accountability to the real criminals. Video was eh but your breakdown and logic was the most entertaining

Last edited:
I have to agree with BigA107, spying? Not cool, and not good for the hobby!
The problem is that when people see a drone in the air they loose their minds, this happens all the time and in most cases the drone operator is not even pointing in their direction or flying over their house.
These hostile overly aggressive paranoid people who take extreme action do not care whether the drone really is of any real concern to them they just fly off the handle and are not rational

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
360Guy