DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

had my first confrontation today....

i was out happily flying in a new area with some nice views, all went well and i killed off 2 and 1/4 batteries for some images, on my way back i drove past a lake and the sun was perfect and the reflection was pretty sick so i pulled over and launched from the side of the road and rose to 250ft as i went over some houses and powerlines etc, i happily took my images and killed off the rest of my battery, when bringing her home a man came across the road towards me and asked me what i was doing, i landed my bird in front of me and told him i was taking photos of the lake, he told me he could hear my bird fly over his chicken coop and he felt i was spying on him, he told me he had some one try to steal his dog and figured i was scoping out his property, i convinced him i was flying over to get pics of the lake and he finally left and i put my bird away, my question is there proper ettiqutete for flying over houses to get some where? i figured 250ft was plenty high enough to not be heard, i was in gps mode only not sport, was i in the wrong here?

A simple solution: download the B4UFLY app from the FAA. If I get hassled, I usually do a return to home, and pull out my tablet, start the app and show them, that you have done your due diligence and have every right to be flying where you are. It's good practice to run it anytime you are flying a new area for your own protection. It starts with the FAA shield, it's very official and impressive to the layman. Then when they see your drone fly home by itself and land automatically it usually blows their mind. Also good to have your FAA registration card. Once they realize it's not just a toy (don't be afraid to tell them how much it cost you), they usually loosen up. If they do call the cops, just show the cops the app, your registration card and you are good to go.

B4UFLY link: B4UFLY Mobile App

If you educate 1 person they may pass the story along to their friends. Try to be a good ambassador first. They also pass along stories of bad experiences they have had with drone users.

Another Great tool is FlightRadar24 for real-time flights in your area: Introducing the All-New Flightradar24 Mobile App – Flightradar24 Blog

Reactions: BlackCoffee
i would have just showed him the shots id taken and that i was not interested in anything else
+ trayboz post

I don't think I'd ever waste any time showing a paranoiac my images to assuage him. Just tell him "no, I wasn't spying on you", and ignore him.

People are making up their own idea of rules which do not bind us. Do not encourage them!

Hey am s newer pilot, but I do try to be respectful of where I fly and how it might make someone feel. But at the same time you can’t predict how people are going to react .

One of the things I can’t stand the most is ,any time you might be having a random conversation about drones , wether you know the people your talking to or not , I can almost garentee some one will mak a comment like “ I’d just shoot it down “

These people are idiots

Reactions: Mavman and MCURRIER
More ignorance and arrogance.

I commented about “pilots” (your term) acting rude, arrogant and downright stupid in their interactions with home/property owners. “I flip my badge real quick like they do in the movies,..... I put my red jacket on that identifies me as a drone pilot... “ etc..

Yet you take calling drone flyiers to a higher standard is negative? It’s not rude, it’s apparently very much called for.

As for my right to post on this or any forum due to your assumptions, well once again your assumptions are incorrect. If you had read before written you would have read that I too own and control a few drones.

As for a pilot, I’m one of those too, I hold a IR, CMP, HP SES and SEL ratings/endorsement. Yet your not negative by your insinuations and prejudge.

My point is after reading the antics of some drone owners actions, be the person that non drone owners would be happy to associate with and want to be around, not the owners who actual act like “the FAA says I’m go so **** off”
The reason I'm under the impression that you don't fly, is because in your very first post, you referred to everyone here as "you guys". I'm not here to argue with you, Rik. I was just telling you what you can expect if you continue to be argumentative with everyone. As for me, I've had enough. No more interaction with you. Bye.

Reactions: Rik
I don't think I'd ever waste any time showing a paranoiac my images to assuage him. Just tell him "no, I wasn't spying on you", and ignore him.

People are making up their own idea of rules which do not bind us. Do not encourage them!
But wouldn't it make more sense to show some pics or a bit of video to educate them?

Is there really a high incidence of irate people confronting drone pilots? I know there are a lot if anectodal stories but it doesn’t seem that prevalent. When I fly, anyone who has approached me has always been curious, not confrontational. Of course, that’s when I hit their house with a hellfire missle, but to each his own, I guess. But seriously, is it that prevalent?

No, you'll see idiots like that one many times.
They should go to Google and ask them same questions about privacy and all that.
After a few similar encounters I completely ignore peps with such attitude while I'm flying.
I had a similar thing happen to me, I suspect he was parinoid about me seeing his hooch crop or something.
A couple weeks before he had a car full of uniforms waiting for him to return home, so I guess he is already on the radar. I should of reported his behaviour, he lost interest quick when I started to quote the casa part 101 of the civil aviation safety regulations, and I had a flight log to back up my story if he wanted to involve the cops.

Guys I have had to delete several post in this and wish you guys would report stuff before these threads get crazy . Not going to close it at this moment but if it don't stay civil I am .
Please stop with the name calling and outright uncalled for post .

Guys I have had to delete several post in this and wish you guys would report stuff before these threads get crazy . Not going to close it at this moment but if it don't stay civil I am .
Please stop with the name calling and outright uncalled for post .
Hi dirkclod... thanks for keeping an eye on things. If we can’t get insulting is there any way we can arrange Mad Max cage matches?

facepalm.gif
I will see what I can do .

Reactions: Divebomber
Well glad it did but is really how I feel sometimes when these threads are started and I know they are going to go south .I do try and stay out till something is reported but by then it's 4 or 5 pages of it .Now lets try and get back on topic and do try and be civil all .:)

Well glad it did but is really how I feel sometimes when these threads are started and I know they are going to go south .I do try and stay out till something is reported but by then it's 4 or 5 pages of it .Now lets try and get back on topic and do try and be civil all .:)
I’ve only been an active member for a couple of months. One of the reasons I’ve stayed on, is 98% of the time everyone is civil. When things spun out of control on rare occasions, they seem to do so REALLY quickly. It seems the more dedicated seasoned members are quite civil. It always seems to be a new member that’s snarky. Maybe that’s not true, but it’s my observation since being in this group. Generally I ignore them but today we had someone really poking the bear. But it’s passed. Fly on!

I'd smile and jokingly say, "If I really wanted to scope out your property, I'd just use Google Maps Street View. It's free, with better, closer pictures, and I wouldn't have to mess with spending $1000 on a drone."

You weren't wrong IMO, unless you were hovering low over his property. No matter what you do, someone will always find a reason to complain and/or be paranoid. Just be honest, civil and friendly when they confront you, and if that's not good enough, F em.

Great rely! Putting that in my back pocket for my first “encounter”.

I think they get intimidated because I'm a 6'4 black dude. I have been flying for 7 years and has never had anyone bother me....YET!
Yeah.... same with me. Except I’m not black, and I’m only 6’1”. I think it’s the sign I always set up next to me that says, “Talk to Me About Timeshares and get a free vacation in Dubuque”. Usually clears out a 100’ radius around me

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest