DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hand Catching Mavic Pro with Stock Settings (Simple/Safe)

robmulally

Reactions
Fellow Pilots,

It really pains me to see so many people who are new to flying and even some pros struggling to hand catch the Mavic Pro and even worse turning off safety features or putting stress on the motors/props.

So I wanted to create a video to explain it as I couldn't see anything online the same and simple, I saw another thread on here which I originally posted to but wow there was so much bad advice that I wanted to create a new thread to help others discover this simple/safe way of hand catching.

If it helps you , newbie or Pro please let me know because I wrongly assumed just everyone would just eventually figure this out.

Cheers
Rob

Is it really bad for the Mavic when you grab it and hold the left stick down to stop the motors?

Is it really bad for the Mavic when you grab it and hold the left stick down to stop the motors?
I don't think that strain on the motors is as good thing. Why just pretending your the ground is better.

I turn off Landing Protection. It prevents the spin up of the motors. I just gently grab the craft while killing the throttle. No drama. And yeah...you look like a pro. Lol. Just watch those fingers. [emoji3]

Reactions: Brett 21
Yep basically what video is with a bit of flare to show how fast /fluid it can be . Having drone above makes it a bit safer so you avoid props

That is by design. You can find this info right in the manual...

Yeah that's the emergency cut off. During normal stock operation that's not required , also hand catching with 1 stick vs two is way easier. I've read the manual. There is a vid online of a guy cutting it in air and starting it again crazy.

No it is not .Have been doing that for over a year and is no problem .

Just to be clear do motors rev up just before it cuts off?
To be honest I have never noticed it but will listen for that tomorrow .

Then it probably doesn't, I can't imagine it can be any more simple than what i do in my video? Is it?
Again to be honest I didn't watch it as I have been hand catching since I got the Mavic and all my Phantom's before that but I will .
It's so normal catching it by hand to me I don't even think about it. I just do it .

OK I just watched it and I just bring it to a hover Over my eyes and reach up from under it and close my fingers on the bottom like you have it here
Screen Shot 2018-06-12 at 8.45.02 PM.png but it is over my head .Is just habit .

To be honest I have never noticed it but will listen for that tomorrow .
it revs up if you tilt it one way or the other,shake back and forth and it will rev even higher.

Reactions: dirkclod
it revs up if you tilt it one way or the other,shake back and forth and it will rev even higher.
Might be why I have never heard it I just shut it down as soon as I get ahold of it .

Then it probably doesn't, I can't imagine it can be any more simple than what i do in my video? Is it?
Don't know where I got this from, but I use a different - and for my taste very easy way:

- let the Mavic hover 7-10 m above you (and yes, pointing in the same direction like in your video)
- initiate auto-landing on the DJI Go App
- stretch out your hand
- as soon as the Mavic discovers your hand it will stop
- then pull the stick down to continue landing and grab it

this way the Mavic won't fight back when you grab it!

If I am not mistaken, using the auto-landing function is similar to disabling the downward sensor, but I could be wrong here.

At first I did hand-catching the wrong way (simply pulling the stick down), but then the Mavic was always fighting for a while to escape until it shuts off. With this auto-landing process there is no fighting back anymore, smooth landing!

Nice and clear. I’ll try it tomorrow. I have been just reaching up and grabbing the mavic while it’s hovering and it instantly fights you to try and gain altitude.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS