DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hard license exams

Reactions
I wrote both the Canadian basic drone license exam that I passed after one attempt and the advanced exam that I passed after the third attempt.
At first I was upset at the types of questions but then I thought about it.
Most advanced commercial drone flights are done in cities and these all have busy airports.
In my town there are 3 commercial helicopter companies and many times they fly very very low over orchards and neighbourhoods drying the fruits after heavy rains.
Then add the tourist helicopter flights!out of the same bases.
The bases are all surrounded by nearby residential neighbourhoods.
Neither the airports or helipads need irresponsible drone operators around them that do not follow flight rules.
I tetired from an oil camp job and many times drones were used that had some pretty advanced but very light weight IR and UV cameras and even ground penetrating radar.
These are all covered by the advanced license.
So again, initially I was upset but then thought of the possible reasons for hard exams

As a pilot, I always appreciate when people fly their drone safely. There are a number of factors that would cause an aircraft to be flown a bit low, and hitting a drone could cause more problems than we realize. I appreciate the hard exams, and especially am grateful for those who fly within the constraints of the governing flight body - FAA in my case.

I wrote both the Canadian basic drone license exam that I passed after one attempt and the advanced exam that I passed after the third attempt.
Most advanced commercial drone flights are done in cities and these all have busy airports.
In my town there are 3 commercial helicopter companies and many times they fly very very low over orchards and neighbourhoods drying the fruits after heavy rains.
Neither the airports or helipads need irresponsible drone operators around them that do not follow flight rules.
I tetired from an oil camp job and many times drones were used that had some pretty advanced but very light weight IR and UV cameras and even ground penetrating radar.
So again, initially I was upset but then thought of the possible reasons for hard exams
Hi,
I totally agree with what you say. I have my basic licence and registration for my Mavic mini.
This is not really necessary for the sub 250g drone, but I believe everyone should be well informed of the regulations.
That said however...the obvious intent of Canada transport is not so much as to make sure the skies are safe by education and training, but to totally discourage and eliminate the operation of hobby drone flying.
I had to licence my ultralight in the early 1980's. I can tell you, the test was far easier then the drone test.
There was an actual study guide available that focuses on only the real important factors of flight safety.
The drone test involves studying the total pilot handbook down to weights and and balance calculations
of your aircraft. And why would the required knowledge of even simple navigation come into play when
the one restriction of drone flying is to stay within Line of Sight at all times? Also a private pilot has to
meet the requirements of knowledge and proficiency every 2 years... not every year as for the drone renewal.
What I am getting at I guess is.... It's always the right thing to do staying informed and practise safe
flying procedures, but don't try discouraging people from wanting to do the right thing.
Spend the money and time to compile a proper study guide that is in line with the type of flying we are going to be doing.
Why are these sub 250g drones becoming more popular? It's because people do not want to go through the hassle of getting their drone pilot licence. This is still a dangerous situation going on (but legal). Better to
keep learning at a less intimidating level than to keep people ignorant and possibly dangerous by deterring
them with intimidation.

We live in a fast food world. People want satisfaction fast and easy with little effort. My failing the drone advanced exam twice was due to laziness on my part. I studied very little for the first attempt a few days after passing the basic exam and just wanted to see what the exam was like. So failed because of the many chart and airport flight regulations taken from Canadian flight, airport and weather charts. Having written countless multiple choice exams for certification and ticket renewals over the decades before I retired, I only studied a bit more on charts since I figured I would not get many on the second attempt the next day. Wrong. Only failed by 1 question but still failed. So buckled down and reviewed sample questions from all over the internet and nailed the chart, aerodrome and radio questions on the third attempt again the next day and easily passed. Did the basic, and 3 advanced exam attempts in 4 days in a row. Want to pass? Do not do what i originally did. The exam is easy if you put the time into scouring the internet for sample questions from Canada, US, UK and Australia because all the rules are the same. I now have around 2,000+ sample questions and for my 3 advanced exams 70% of the questions came from these, except for the chart and airport ones, since the Canadian exam uses Canadian charts. Want to pass? Put in the effort.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan