DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Has anyone registered their drone in Patong, Phuket, Thailand recently?

John Gowland

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I am staying in Patong for the last few weeks of April, arrive just as Songkran Festival starts.

Taking a MP and a MA with me.
Has anyone registered their drone in Patong, Phuket recently? I know there is a DJI place in the main shopping mall where I hope they can help me register at a decent price.

I have downloaded the file https://www.caat.or.th/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/UAV-Registration-new.pdf
Recommended by the good Richard Barrow.
How to register your drone in Thailand

I will fill in the application forms and follow Richards advice and carry them around with me in the hope that if I get question the application forms will be enough.

But would very much appreciate anyone’s direct experience registering their drone in Patong

Ta

Hey John,

I'm in the same boat, as it were. I'm heading to Bangkok and Chiang Mai at the end of March. My plan is to send the forms into the CAAT and keep a receipt for the post and copies of the application. The only thing I haven't figured out is the Mega-Baht liability insurance requirement. I couldn't find if that was required to be purchased from a Thai company or if any liability policy would suffice. Have a good trip.

James

I am staying in Patong for the last few weeks of April, arrive just as Songkran Festival starts.

Has anyone registered their drone in Patong, Phuket recently? I know there is a DJI place in the main shopping mall where I hope they can help me register at a decent price.

I have downloaded the file https://www.caat.or.th/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/UAV-Registration-new.pdf

I will fill in the application forms and follow Richards advice and carry them around with me in the hope that if I get question the application forms will be enough.

But would very much appreciate anyone’s direct experience registering their drone in Patong

Ta
I am leaving tomorrow for Bangkok, and have given it a lot of thought about taking my MP. I am taking it with no registration and 3 battery's. Will be going to Patong and krabi. I will let you know in 2 weeks how I made out if im not in jail. :) Maybe I'll meet up with member MadValley and have a beer with him. :)

Similar situation. I will be in Phuket for most of June and wondering what to to do. As we will also be in China, Mongolia and SE Russia I am thinking of just leaving the MP at home.

I'm going to follow your plan of action MadValley. The insurance thing is a pain. I see that many DJI distributors will do the documentation for you and charge you (not cheap) for the insurance hassle. I know there is a DJI distributor in the main Patong shopping mall Jungceylon. I hope they can do it for me and not too expensively. The other alternative is to fill in the English and Thai documents and take them to a police staton and they will stamp it for you.
https://www.caat.or.th/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/UAV-Registration-new.pdf
How to contact Richard Barrow

In all probability all this will not be needed, but just incase. Besides at sunrise and sunset my fav place at the southern most point of Patong Beach is quite public. Although its still not 30m from people and cars.
I am going to do my best not to be counting cockroaches climb up a walls. I want to get back and teach my kids how to fly and program the Tello in class. Way too much more exciting and fun.

Do let us know sunny1, MadValley and bushie how you get on.
Between flying have a good trip in the LOS :)

Ta
Just got back from Beijing and Thailand had no problems with my Mavic. Never registered it for Thailand. I Made sure when going thought customs I pulled all my Batteries out and sent them though the scanners, and all was ok. They pulled them out and looked at them in Beijing but never said a word. Biggest problem was finding a place to fly them away from people. If you find a place (And is hard do, if you don't know the area) all is ok just like Vancouver where I live. I had fill out the paper work in case I had trouble, but never needed it. Just be careful where you fly and all should be good.

Ta
Hello, could you please be more specific about that DJI place in the main shopping mall .Where is the store located inside?

Last edited:
Just arrived in Patong, Phuket yesterday and went along, to the DJI place in
Jungceylon Shopping Center. Third floor. Had a very disturbing meet with a rep there. I said I was on holiday for 17 days and want to register to fly. I brought a Pro and and an Air, with loads of batteries (and a Tello for a bit of fun in the room.) He said it would be impossible. It would take months (about three or four) because the Thai law required me to become a qualified pilot, register and get massive insurance. They said they could do it for 5,000 (I think he meant Thai Bart-I was in shock.) Of course I could fly, just stay away from crowds. He said even if the police stopped me they would not know what to do. If they did know they would probably do nothing there is such a backlog of thousands and the procedure is so complex. Further he said no one has been prosecuted yet. I vaguely remember some media people were prosecuted a few months ago.
Prior to that in the afternoon I went to the local police station opposite the main hospital in Patong and they said they were closed until Tuesday, Monday being a holiday. But the cops there were very friendly and indicated with a giggle that I would be fine as long I was discrete.
All ****** confusing. Anyway I am going to do what I always do. Out of the way, in no ones face. Like most of us I like as little attention as possible.
There are a couple of spots with a few people around that I love flying from and am going to take the chance such as at daybreak and not for long.

Thats generally the case. As is common here they introduced random rules without any thought of implementation. The result is the registration process ground to a halt after a few weeks due to them being overwhelmed and unable to cope with the volume. Months later this is still the case - technically you need it but in reality its impossible to obtain.
Insurance seems to be 3000-5000 baht, mainly because there seems to be only one place doing it so they can charge what they like.
Given how overcrowded Patong is, i'd be cautious flying it there. However the reality is provided you arent being an idiot with it the authorities will leave you alone (or even curiously watch it). They are banned in Thai national parks along with the main crowded beach areas and so on and those WILL get fined and it happens regularly.
I see lots of drones on the beach here, especially around sunset. Some are flown discretely with no annoyance to others, some are flown very low, noisily and thoughtlessly close to people.

I've been trying to go through their new online process. Two biggest obstacles are a visa stamp and insurance.

So I'm not going to continue with the online permit application but got an email from CAAT reminding me that I had started the application (actually uploaded my passport scan and other info until I got to the visa or passport stamp requirement).

They also say you have to upload insurance policy showing the actual drone and serial number.

Curious if the posters in this thread were able to fly without hassles there.

I have flown for many years in Patong/Phuket. The last few years I have had to fly well away from people, heavy fines and even imprisonment were threatened a couple of years back. There are always spots you can find with bike. I have about 10 or so spots that I go to frequently where no one will bother you.
Now I have a licence I am not worried about flying anywhere but with respect to locals and to general, international drone flying guidelines. Will be there in a few weeks. Joy.

I have flown while based in Phuket. Made sure i checked with locals and did not fly in crowded places or near airport. Had no problems.

Reactions: Hobiemark
I've been trying to go through their new online process. Two biggest obstacles are a visa stamp and insurance.

So I'm not going to continue with the online permit application but got an email from CAAT reminding me that I had started the application (actually uploaded my passport scan and other info until I got to the visa or passport stamp requirement).

They also say you have to upload insurance policy showing the actual drone and serial number.

Curious if the posters in this thread were able to fly without hassles there.
Hi wco81 I went thru the same thing you are when I went there 2 years ago. I tried to register but gave up( they don't seen to make it easy) Never had any problems at the airport Just put them thru the scan at maybe 40% charge. Biggest thing is don't fly where you can get in trouble. If your careful of where you fly you wont have problems. If your not I'm sure they will want to see the registration of the drone. If someone says anything just keep your mouth shut, pack up your drone and leave. I did fly at a beach and a guard came up to me and said I was not allowed to fly there. I said I was sorry and packed up the drone. He was ok with it. Have fun don't be stupid and be careful.

Remember in Thailand that even having the correct paperwork doesn't mean the police wont demand "tea money" or "administration fee".
This is true with everything from driving, to reporting a crime to flying a drone.

Hi, some recently experience about not-registered drone in Thailand?
I'm being there soon and I'm looking for some feedback.
My idea is to get it flight away from crowds in wild lands.

:-*

A bit too late for registration Alessandra, takes months and even then, most are not able to get it. Very rare. If you are serious in the long run, you can contact Danny at [email protected] for Thai wide registration. It's not cheap but if you visit often it's worth it. There are some heavy-duty penalties if you get caught flying in populated areas.

However, there are a lot of very nice places around Patong that almost no one goes to and some great views. I always rent a scooter and get up in the hills around Patong. I will be there for about a month from around 6th Nov.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000