DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hello from Baltimore, Maryland

Reactions
So many questions…

I’m getting ready to “pull the trigger” on a DJI Mavic 3 - but have SOOooo many questions…

First, an introduction…

My name’s Will and I live near Baltimore, Maryland. This will be my FIRST drone - and I’ve done as much research as I can. Enough so to make me decide that the DJI Mavic 3 “Fly More Combo” is the drone (package) I’m going to purchase…

Now… the questions:

1. Since this is my first drone - should I buy a propeller guard ($49)?
  2. DJI sells “DJI Care Refresh” one and two year insurance policies - seems like a good idea for a newbie for $239 for one year & $399 for two years
  3. The DJI RC Pro is out now for the Mavi 3 - for $1,199… Is it REALLY worth it?
  4. A “Landing Pad”... These are really cheap - but I don’t necessarily feel compelled to spend money - if it doesn’t add REAL benefit…

What items are on YOUR “have-to-have” list?

And… Thanks in Advance!

welcome to the forum
Thank you, Old Man Mavic. I see you're in Wales... I hope to take my new drone to Scotland in April. Do you have any tips or suggestions about flying a drone in Scotland?

Hello from the Crossroads of America Margarita Will.

Nice to meet you Will. 🤝

This will be my FIRST drone -

Good choice. 👍

Go to the FAA to register.

And then take the TRUST test to have a copy with you when you fly.

Here's a place to take it.

The fly more combo is the way to go.

1) I purchased the guards but rarely use them, unless flying around a bunch of birds. Makes the drone look bigger and is easier to see a bit.

2) I purchased the refresh on my Spark and MA2 and haven't used it (yet).

3) Beats me.

4) I usually hand lanch / land, but I do have a nice landing pad similar to this one that folds up for storage and is nice to have a clean area for pre flight.

Items to have.

These apps are free from the stores.

Commercial drone flight planning software | App for drones | AirMap

AIRMAP shows the airspace around you and may be able to fly near airports through LAANC authorization.

Windy.com is a wind flow map that's cool.

Welcome to the Forum. :cool:

@Margarita Will hi fellow flyer ,you will need to get your operator ID and do the free test to obtain your flyer ID this can all be accessed by going on the CAA website
Scottish laws have different nuances from the rest of the UK when it comes to landowners and trespass so i would also look up drone flying in Scotland to see what their regulations are

@Margarita Will hi fellow flyer ,you will need to get your operator ID and do the free test to obtain your flyer ID this can all be accessed by going on the CAA website
Scottish laws have different nuances from the rest of the UK when it comes to landowners and trespass so i would also look up drone flying in Scotland to see what their regulations are
Thanks, Old Man Mavic!

Thanks, MA2 317! (Is that what your PARENTS call you? LOL)

I just finished my TRUST - and have downloaded "AirMap for Drones" and "B4UFLY" to my Android smart phone (Samsung Galaxy S10)

I just ordered my Mavic 3 from Amazon last night - and will make sure to register it with the FAA once it arrives...

Does ANYONE put their registration number on the outside of their drone...? Really...?

well in the UK, and i think in the US as well, its part of the rules to have your operator or reg number displayed on the outside of the drone

Welcome to the forum. We look forward to your participation and your view of the world.

Welcome to the forum from the dry lakeless hills of Lake City FL. An irony... I know. If lakes grew here as much as your knowledge will, Lake City would become an ocean. ;)

Welcome again!

Question 1) I never have used propeller guards and never buy them but as someone previously said, it's useful when flying around birds and makes the drone easier to see.

Question 2) Care refresh would be a must for me or any newbie. Especially considering this is the drone with the Advanced RTH.

Question 3) From what I've heard, the RC Pro is nice but I think most people would go with a tablet, iPad, or just their phone as those can be used for other purposes. If Scotland is sunny and you find yourself in need of a bright screen, then maybe go with the RC Pro but I'd personally go with a Tripltek 8 or a 7 if you'd like one cheaper.

Question 4) In my PERSONAL opinion, a landing pad is a must especially if you don't always launch by hand or from concrete. If you fly in grassy or sandy areas, then yes, you'll want a landing pad.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum! Thumbswayup

Welcome to the forum! :)

Since this is my first drone - should I buy a propeller guard ($49)?
These are great if you're going to be flying close to lots of obstacles (like when flying indoors). Since your new to drones, I'd recommend only flying in wide open locations with no obstacles. If you take that route, prop guards shouldn't be needed.

DJI sells “DJI Care Refresh” one and two year insurance policies - seems like a good idea for a newbie for $239 for one year & $399 for two years
How much risk are you comfortable taking? This could save you a lot of money in a major crash. Like any insurance, you never know if you're actually going to use it -- until you need it.

The DJI RC Pro is out now for the Mavi 3 - for $1,199… Is it REALLY worth it?
Haven't tried it, but I plan to get one at some point for convenience. I like the idea of having one device to charge and carry.

However, one major downside is you'll be locked into that screen size. If you require a large screen for flying, then you might want to go with a tablet instead.

A “Landing Pad”... These are really cheap - but I don’t necessarily feel compelled to spend money - if it doesn’t add REAL benefit…
This would be helpful if you're going to be flying in locations that don't have a clean place to land.

What items are on YOUR “have-to-have” list?
Check out my list here.

Welcome to the forum from south central Florida :cool: and enjoy. 🌴

I bought the guard to fly inside of a building which is very hard to do in sport mode.

Best guard I bought in for my Gimbal.

Any "first timer" should get the refresh option just in case you crash or just in case the drone is not made right.

You need to do a comparison (or a review) on YouTube for the controller. My opinion.... No.

Welcome Will to the forum from the land of Oz, I was going to suggest forget the guards and find some wide open spaces to practice, but, just had a look at the map of Baltimore, I think you might need the guards. 😀. Don’t under estimate the need for a good landing pad, it does help to keep the grit out of your motors. My experience with the flash DJI do hickies is they are out of date with the next model. Stay with the standard RC and in invest in a good tablet and mount. Hope this helps.
Regards

Welcome to the forum. You're going to love flying and seeing the world from a new perspective.

I strongly suggest the landing pad so you always have a clean surface to land on. It covers grass, leaves, dirt, pebbles, etc. and protects your camera when you land.

I'm in Wilmington, DE, so if you would like to get together sometime to fly, reach out.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan