DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hello from Brisbane, Australia!

Hi guys and gals thanks for the warm welcome!

For folks asking where in Brisbane I am, I'm in SE and well pretty close to no fly zones Interpreting OpenSky For South East Brisbane? LOL

I've already replied to your other posting about phones and Android 12, but let me say if it's merely a choice between the Mini 2 and the Mini SE and not a cost factor, I fly the Mini 2 and I could not be happier. I was caught up in the same dilemma as you as which I should get, the SE is cheaper, but the 2's got the OcuSync. But after reading many entries on this web site and watching so many, many YouTube Videos, I could not argue with having DJI's OcuSync.

Thanks @LoudThunder - yes the more I read on this forum, the more I am leaning towards the Mini 2 over the Mini SE. @Gene465 comment about the controller on Mini 2 vs Mini SE also had me thinking.

As my main purpose right now is for roof inspection/solar install before/after checks etc, I don't really need additional batteries so in Australia for end of financial year sales the Mini 2 open box or refurbished units are around 20-25% cheaper than Mini 2 retail units putting it within 10-15% of a new Mini SE more fly combo bundles.

Hi from Brisbane, Australia!

Looking to buy my first DJI Drone (either Mini 2 or Mini SE) so thought I'd join up and ask questions especially as I read Android 12 and mobile phone compatibility can be an issue. Planning to get solar panels installed on my roof, but have to get the roof inspected and probably fixed up first. The plan is to use the drone for roof inspections and before and after checks after solar installation amongst other things :D

cheers

George
Welcome from the sunshine Coast.
I've only been on the forum for a couple of weeks after buying my first drone. You'll real y benefit from the advice, experience, and generosity of the members.
I looked at both the Minis available at the time (days before the Mini 3 release) and went with the Mini 2 Fly More package for the better controller, Occusync 2, more stability. The comparison was a mate's Mini, which is a great device but is a little noisier, slightly less stable, and I'm not so keen on the controller having the phone below.
I got a great deal at Anaconda ($130 less than stores in Brisbane and JB) and they were in stock.
I use a Samsung S21 Ultra 5G and haven't had any issues so far.
Hope you get a good deal too, and enjoy the forum.

Hi George

Sorry to be late to the welcome committee. I’m on the Southern outskirts of Brisbane myself, it’s a great part of the world to fly and I’m sure you’ll soon expand past roof inspections. Another vote for the Mini 2 from me. The occusync control link and better controller are well worth the outlay. If you’re a Telstra customer you can even add a Mini 2 to your account.

Be aware, there are those (of whom I am not one) who love to use the regs as a blunt instrument to beat people over the head with and love an excuse to report things.

Doing a roof inspection as silly as it sounds falls into being a commercial activity even if for yourself and no cash is changing hands. The simple work around is make yourself a MyCASA account on their website, get an aviation reference number both of which you’ll be required to do even as a recreational pilot by the end of the year anyway and then do the 30 question multiple choice test for the “excluded commercial class” certification. It’s ridiculously easy and all totally free. My three teenagers all got theirs in an afternoon with 100% passmarks. After that you’ll be able to fly any drone under 2kg for commercial purposes, inspect your own roof or even others and make a few bucks towards paying off the drone and no one can gripe at you.

I’ve held a commercial RePL for 5 years, feel free to shoot me a D.M. Via the forum if you decide to go the excluded route and would like a hand.

In any event, enjoy your flying.
Ari

Cheers mate. Definitely this forum/members are going to be a great resource for a noob like me :) Looking forward to being able to pay it forward once I know more :D

Another vote for the Mini 2 from me. The occusync control link and better controller are well worth the outlay. If you’re a Telstra customer you can even add a Mini 2 to your account.
Yup thanks to CamelCamelCamel price alerts and Amazon.com.au discount ~10.5% off RRP, I am now going to be a Mini 2 owner New DJI Mini 2 Owner - DJI Account & Refresh Care Setup? :D

First I heard of adding a Mini 2 to Telstra account?? What benefit does that bring exactly?

Doing a roof inspection as silly as it sounds falls into being a commercial activity even if for yourself and no cash is changing hands. The simple work around is make yourself a MyCASA account on their website, get an aviation reference number both of which you’ll be required to do even as a recreational pilot by the end of the year anyway and then do the 30 question multiple choice test for the “excluded commercial class” certification. It’s ridiculously easy and all totally free. My three teenagers all got theirs in an afternoon with 100% passmarks. After that you’ll be able to fly any drone under 2kg for commercial purposes, inspect your own roof or even others and make a few bucks towards paying off the drone and no one can gripe at you.

Thanks for that advice, yes I was thinking of doing that just to cover my bases for the future. Didn't know the aviation reference number requirement was coming in by end of year though!

I’ve held a commercial RePL for 5 years, feel free to shoot me a D.M. Via the forum if you decide to go the excluded route and would like a hand.

In any event, enjoy your flying.
Ari
The RePL might be something I'd do in future though not right now so cheers Ari

First I heard of adding a Mini 2 to Telstra account?? What benefit does that bring exactly?
The only benefit is that you can pay it off over a period time with your account. They call it an R.P.O. Or something similar from memory.

Didn't know the aviation reference number requirement was coming in by end of year though!

By the end of the year (allegedly lol) everyone will need either a recreational or excluded class certification or the RePL and need to have their drone registered for either recreational or commercial use. I say “allegedly” as that was all supposed to be in place by now but has been delayed a couple of times already. At this point the recreational certification and registration has not come into play but I’m sure big brother will get around to it soon. All of them require an aviation reference number as a starting point.

The RePL might be something I'd do in future though not right now

I love having the RePL, I’m semi retired now and commercial drone work is the only paying gig I do, it’s allowed me to fly some really interesting jobs and locations outside of what would normally be possible even on an excluded class cert and at least partially pay for my drone habit. I’ve added extra certifications, endorsements and training on top since but being brutally honest I could have done 95% of what I have done with just an excluded certification and my kids often work with me on their excluded. The value of an RePL is very questionable to the average person in Australia IMO.

The only benefit is that you can pay it off over a period time with your account. They call it an R.P.O. Or something similar from memory.
I see! I ended up paying with Zip Pay for my Amazon.com.au order so paying it off by end of next month should be good :)

By the end of the year (allegedly lol) everyone will need either a recreational or excluded class certification or the RePL and need to have their drone registered for either recreational or commercial use. I say “allegedly” as that was all supposed to be in place by now but has been delayed a couple of times already. At this point the recreational certification and registration has not come into play but I’m sure big brother will get around to it soon. All of them require an aviation reference number as a starting point.
I see. Might as well get all my ducks lined up and get it done now then :D

but being brutally honest I could have done 95% of what I have done with just an excluded certification and my kids often work with me on their excluded.

Nice. Definitely, something I'll look at. While doing my DJI buying research I came across https://dronesforhire.com.au/ - guess the gig economy for Drones is only going to grow :)

The simple work around is make yourself a MyCASA account on their website, get an aviation reference number both of which you’ll be required to do even as a recreational pilot by the end of the year anyway and then do the 30 question multiple choice test for the “excluded commercial class” certification. It’s ridiculously easy and all totally free.
Ok so just registered a MyCASA account and got my ARN number - was painless. But I don't see that 30 question multiple choice? Is that under RPA Operator Accreditation?

Ok so just registered a MyCASA account and got my ARN number - was painless. But I don't see that 30 question multiple choice? Is that under RPA Operator Accreditation?
Yes that would be it.

Remember, if you register under 'Excluded' category to fly commercially in any way, any drone you nominate as being used for this must be registered with CASA, and the fee paid . . . I think it's $40 (a year ?).

I have my Excluded, never have used my drones for commercial use . . . when the changes came in a short time ago I never bothered registering either of my drones.
CASA said as long as you don't fly them for anything commercial, no problems.
I am still Excluded registered, can still do this if I ever wish to, for now just no drones listed.

You can register a new drone at any time, and deregister a drone at any time too.

Remember, if you register under 'Excluded' category to fly commercially in any way, any drone you nominate as being used for this must be registered with CASA, and the fee paid . . . I think it's $40 (a year ?).

I have my Excluded, never have used my drones for commercial use . . . when the changes came in a short time ago I never bothered registering either of my drones.
CASA said as long as you don't fly them for anything commercial, no problems.
I am still Excluded registered, can still do this if I ever wish to, for now just no drones listed.

You can register a new drone at any time, and deregister a drone at any time too.
Thanks for the heads up! Guess I'll leave my drone registration for a later time down the road instead.

Ah says the same at https://www.casa.gov.au/knowyourdrone/registration too

Some drones won’t need to be registered. This applies if:​

• you’re flying your drone exclusively indoors
  • you don’t intend to fly your drone
  • your drone weighs 250 g or less (and it’s not being flown for or at work).
Remember, you don't need to do anything now. Subscribe for the latest news and we'll let you know when registration begins

No registration needed yet at all for recreational flight.
Coming soon though, just keeps getting pushed back by CASA.

Sub 250g does need rego if using for work / excluded category.

I'm not sure if sub 250g will be exempt from registration when it comes in for rec pilots, quite possible.

Cheers just got Operator Accreditation as well - so all taken care of :)
Good job, you can now fly any drone under 2kg in weight for commercial purposes as long as you do not exceed the standard operating conditions. 😁

Sub 250g does need rego if using for work / excluded category.
That’s a topic of hot debate at the moment the general consensus being that if it’s being used for commercial purposes all the advantages of sub 250g are lost and it must be registered for commercial use.

Yes that’s spot on. I keep one P4P and the P4RTK registered for commercial work but not the others. It’s only a matter of minutes to register them if I need them for work and yes $40 a pop which is way better than the up to $160 CASA first floated. I am part of the consult group CASA bring in for interviews and feedback from time to time. You can guess what I said to that lol

That’s a topic of hot debate at the moment the general consensus being that if it’s being used for commercial purposes all the advantages of sub 250g are lost and it must be registered for commercial use.

That's true. no gain apart from ease of transport / travel, perhaps set up a little faster.
One day there might be easier / less restrictive ops over / near people, like some countries for sub 250.
You can already fly closer to airports if needed, and advantage in a lot of cases esp places like Sydney / Melbourne, and likely Brisbane too.

That's true. no gain apart from ease of transport / travel, perhaps set up a little faster.
One day there might be easier / less restrictive ops over / near people, like some countries for sub 250.
You can already fly closer to airports if needed, and advantage in a lot of cases esp places like Sydney / Melbourne, and likely Brisbane too.
Yes and this is actually the crux of the discussion some of us were having with CASA. If you are a recreational pilot flying a sub 250g drone near an airport you get relaxed conditions as far as how close to the airport and approach and departure vectors you can fly but if you are a trained RePL operating under a REOC all of a sudden all of those relaxations are lost and you have to jump through all the hoops again … yeah that makes sense right? 🤨

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan