DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hello from Brisbane, Australia!

Yes and this is actually the crux of the discussion some of us were having with CASA. If you are a recreational pilot flying a sub 250g drone near an airport you get relaxed conditions as far as how close to the airport and approach and departure vectors you can fly but if you are a trained RePL operating under a REOC all of a sudden all of those relaxations are lost and you have to jump through all the hoops again … yeah that makes sense right? 🤨
Yes, that should be addressed.
It was the same in the US until a short time ago with night flights, rec was allowed, part107 had to apply.
Slipped through the system somehow for quite a long time.

They’ll get around to it eventually I’m sure. There are always going to be some bugs in any legislation. They’re written by people after all. I do think all around we’re fairly well looked after in Australia and have some worth while advantages.

The whole excluded class is a great case in point that we’re lucky to have. Looking at the roof inspection example, in the U.S. and U.K. like here that falls into a commercial framework but in the U.S. you’d need the full part 107 to be compliant and a PFCO in the U.K. but here in Australia the regulator recognises that anyone who can fly a recreational drone can do simple commercial jobs with standard drones with just a little extra knowledge and put a method in place when the average drone operator can access that in not much more than 24 hours with a little effort and help pay for their hobby.

I don’t know of any country other than Australia that allows that and I think it’s really cool. A lot of other commercial operators in Australia don’t think it’s so cool as they would like a little more of a “closed shop” I admit but that’s not my mind set.

I don’t know of any country other than Australia that allows that and I think it’s really cool.

+1 Definitely for roof inspections!

My Mini 2 Fly more combo arrived today - charging everything up!

dji-mini2-charging-01-tn.jpg

Fly App 1.6.6 works on my Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro with Android 11 (MIUI 12.5) so far with updated firmware and Flysafe database. Won't know how it handles with the Mini 2 outside until tomorrow.

For now, you can just practice over your house, and 'notice' things like gutter leaf litter etc, accidentally of course !! :p

Whoo hoo !
Even a good forecast for the next 4 days !!
Enjoy, and may the drone gods be with you watching over your Mini 2 on your inaugural flight.

(typo fixed your house not our house, lol)

Last edited:
For now, you can just practice over our house, and 'notice' things like gutter leaf litter etc, accidentally of course !!
haha. My gutter has holes in them right now - yeah needs repairing :)

Whoo hoo !
Even a good forecast for the next 4 days !!
Enjoy, and may the drone gods be with you watching over your Mini 2 on your inaugural flight.

Got DJI 360 prop guards and extension legs for beginner 1st fly ready :D

View attachment 150528

Fly App 1.6.6 works on my Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro with Android 11 (MIUI 12.5) so far with updated firmware and Flysafe database. Won't know how it handles with the Mini 2 outside until tomorrow.
You’ll love the Mini 2. Obviously I’m usually operating much bigger drones but I actually own a Mini 2 myself and it’s amazing just how much you can do with it. I’ve actually done a roof inspection with a Mini 2. The 2x zoom is quite handy. Remember to hold down the Fn button and use the left wheel for zoom function rather than use the screen control. Much smoother.

The main job of mine is to ride along in my motorcycle panniers which, as tomorrow is ride day with the boys I’ll be taking it with me up past the Glasshouse mountains. Hope we stop somewhere along the way long enough to put her up 😁

Remember to hold down the Fn button and use the left wheel for zoom function rather than use the screen control. Much smoother.
Cheers, definitely saw that one tip on Youtube :D Already reading up on adjusting advance gimbal settings :D

The main job of mine is to ride along in my motorcycle panniers which, as tomorrow is ride day with the boys I’ll be taking it with me up past the Glasshouse mountains. Hope we stop somewhere along the way long enough to put her up 😁
Happy flying to you too then :)

Remember, if you register under 'Excluded' category to fly commercially in any way, any drone you nominate as being used for this must be registered with CASA, and the fee paid . . . I think it's $40 (a year ?).

I have my Excluded, never have used my drones for commercial use . . . when the changes came in a short time ago I never bothered registering either of my drones.
CASA said as long as you don't fly them for anything commercial, no problems.
I am still Excluded registered, can still do this if I ever wish to, for now just no drones listed.

You can register a new drone at any time, and deregister a drone at any time too.
Looks like drone registration is free for <500g and only >500g is $40 https://www.casa.gov.au/drones/registration-and-flight-authorisations/register-your-drone

So question is why wouldn't you register your drone if it's <500g ?? Pros/cons? I am thinking in circumstances where you add accessories to Mini 2 which put it over 249g limit but still <500g

Looks like drone registration is free for <500g and only >500g is $40 https://www.casa.gov.au/drones/registration-and-flight-authorisations/register-your-drone

So question is why wouldn't you register your drone if it's <500g ?? Pros/cons? I am thinking in circumstances where you add accessories to Mini 2 which put it over 249g limit but still <500g
I've not noticed that before, sure pretty straight forward to go ahead and set it up for excluded and no fee :)
If wanting to double check, the chat link on every casa page is really good during normal business hours.

Well, there’s no arguing what it says and if this is now the case then that’s a bonus. That’s just not what I’d been told but then again the 500g thing is totally new to me as well. I’ll fire off an email tomorrow and get a clarification but you’d have to assume you’re ok to not register if that’s what it says on their own webpage.

Yeah just wondering if I should cover all bases. If I end up flying the drone and some drone savvy user sees and recognises a Mini but has other accessories added that they know it's >249g situations.

As an update, had my first short Mini 2 flight today - squeezed it in before the 5:30pm no night fly period so was getting dark quickly. Managed to get in some photo and video for my roof :)

Used Cine mode and wow it was still very responsive with movement - wasn't expecting that from seeing the Youtube videos it seemed Cine mode movement was slower than what I experienced. No wonder folks recommend the fly more combo and/or extra batteries. With a fully charged battery from last night and by the time I did pre-flight prep and installed the 360 prop guards and leg extensions and calibration when I eventually flew the drone it had ~72% battery!

Got a notification message about calibrating and not being near metal objects/structures - guess being in my backyard with a metal clothes line would do that.

Got a notification message about calibrating and not being near metal objects/structures - guess being in my backyard with a metal clothes line would do that.

Could have been a new setup thing, probably won't ask you again hopefully.
I've only been ask once or twice in 5 years to calibrate either of my drones.
The metal clothes line, unless right on it, wouldn't be a problem, even on the ground under it (but you wouldn't be setting up there anyway).

Yeah just wondering if I should cover all bases. If I end up flying the drone and some drone savvy user sees and recognises a Mini but has other accessories added that they know it's >249g situations.
If it says you don’t need to register on CASA’s own webpage then I honestly wouldn’t be registering it yet.

As an update, had my first short Mini 2 flight today - squeezed it in before the 5:30pm no night fly period so was getting dark quickly. Managed to get in some photo and video for my roof
Good to hear, it’s always nice to axtually get to use it. You’re allowed to fly from civil dawn to civil twilight which begins and ends when the sun is 6deg below the horizon. That varies depending on how far south of the equator/time of year but for Brisbane 20 minutes is a safe bet any time of the year.

No wonder folks recommend the fly more combo and/or extra batteries.
I agree. I have at least 3 batteries for everything. I have 11 each for my Phantom 4’a but they are for work. You cam pretty well keep a drone in the air all day with 10 batteries if you charge on sitw.

Individual drones will vary a little in when they ask for a compass calibration but as a rule they have it hard written into the firmware to ask for one if you are more than 50km from the last place you flew it or it has been more than 30 days. So obviously first time you use it is more than 50km from China so yes, it’ll as for it lol. As the mini series do not have a backup compass unlike some of the bigger drones I’d advise you to do it when it asks.

Yes anything substantial and magnetic can upset things. Don’t fly from concrete slabs with rio, car roofs etc and if you have a hard landing or a minor crash it’ll probably ask for an IMU calibration.

Could have been a new setup thing, probably won't ask you again hopefully.
I've only been ask once or twice in 5 years to calibrate either of my drones.
The metal clothes line, unless right on it, wouldn't be a problem, even on the ground under it (but you wouldn't be setting up there anyway).
I actually got the notification after my 1st flight once it landed. I had calibrated it before 1st take off. But when I landed it, it gave me the message so I calibrated it again. There was also a IMU calibration prompt after landing too.

If it says you don’t need to register on CASA’s own webpage then I honestly wouldn’t be registering it yet.

Yeah indeed.

Good to hear, it’s always nice to axtually get to use it. You’re allowed to fly from civil dawn to civil twilight which begins and ends when the sun is 6deg below the horizon. That varies depending on how far south of the equator/time of year but for Brisbane 20 minutes is a safe bet any time of the year.

Ah didn't know that - CASA site doesn't mention it?

I agree. I have at least 3 batteries for everything. I have 11 each for my Phantom 4’a but they are for work. You cam pretty well keep a drone in the air all day with 10 batteries if you charge on sitw.

wow 11 batteries! That drone carry case must be huge :D Not sure if one of my batteries might have issues with swelling or not Mini 2 Fly More Battery differences? I fired off an email to DJI too

Individual drones will vary a little in when they ask for a compass calibration but as a rule they have it hard written into the firmware to ask for one if you are more than 50km from the last place you flew it or it has been more than 30 days. So obviously first time you use it is more than 50km from China so yes, it’ll as for it lol. As the mini series do not have a backup compass unlike some of the bigger drones I’d advise you to do it when it asks.

Thanks for that some of the videos I have watched also mention such.

Yes anything substantial and magnetic can upset things. Don’t fly from concrete slabs with rio, car roofs etc and if you have a hard landing or a minor crash it’ll probably ask for an IMU calibration.

Ah ha! My whole backyard is fully concreted so no grass hehe

Used Cine mode and wow it was still very responsive with movement - wasn't expecting that from seeing the Youtube videos it seemed Cine mode movement was slower than what I experienced.
Answering my own question, just saw @Meta4 reply in another thread. I had controller switched to Cine mode before starting/powering on the controller. I guess it was actually normal mode that I was in all that time!

That's how your drone works.
It has nothing to do with Litchi.
It doesn't matter what position the Flight Mode switch is in, the drone will always launch in Normal Mode.
After launching you can switch to another mode.

Ah didn't know that - CASA site doesn't mention it?
It’s mentioned specifically iin the RePl training, most other places just say “around 30 minutes” which would be correct at the equator.

Ah ha! My whole backyard is fully concreted so no grass hehe
A plastic stool or similar 4 ft high will save the day.
Not sure if one of my batteries might have issues with swelling or not
funnily, I saw a thread where someone else got one bad battery in the flymore

It’s mentioned specifically iin the RePl training, most other places just say “around 30 minutes” which would be correct at the equator.
I see :)

A plastic stool or similar 4 ft high will save the day.
Cheers!

funnily, I saw a thread where someone else got one bad battery in the flymore
hmm. Well I'll wait to see what DJI support say about mine.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54