DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hello from Central Wisconsin, soon traveling to South-Central Arizona for the winter.

MotorPsycho

Reactions
Central Wisconsin and South-Central Arizona
Hello everyone.

I've never done RC flying. I've been an amateur photographer for most of my life and done some astrophotography for the last 25 years. I decided to retire from astrophotography after last winter.

When I heard about the new Mavic 2 drones I got interested. I just purchased a Mavic 2 Pro and am fairly excited to take it to Arizona. Where we winter, there are almost unlimited photography options in the desert mountains and the wildlife is prolific.

I've had my drone up twice and taken one picture.

Mostly, I'll be waiting until I get to Arizona.

Where we winter, there are almost unlimited photography options in the desert mountains and the wildlife is prolific.

Welcome! Or as we say in Oz... g'day mate :)
Nice picture for a start and hope you have a long and happy relationship with your M2P. (I'd stay away from the wildlife though.)

Welcome! Or as we say in Oz... g'day mate :)
Nice picture for a start and hope you have a long and happy relationship with your M2P. (I'd stay away from the wildlife though.)

Why stay away from wildlife?

I realize critter's will hear the drone, so closeups won't work, but I should be able to get a better look, in some cases, than I can with the naked eye.

A couple of years ago, on two separate occasions, we saw a large cat, well over 100 yards away. The distance was too great to identify it as either a bobcat or mountain lion.

Frequently, we get close with DSLR equipment.

View media item 2485

Why stay away from wildlife?

I realize critter's will hear the drone, so closeups won't work, but I should be able to get a better look, in some cases, than I can with the naked eye.

A couple of years ago, on two separate occasions, we saw a large cat, well over 100 yards away. The distance was too great to identify it as either a bobcat or mountain lion.

Frequently, we get close with DSLR equipment.

View media item 2485
Did you see the video (it's been removed from this site) about the baby bear and it's mum being disturbed by an unthinking drone pilot. Viral Video Of Baby Bear Climbing Back Up Mountain Is Actually Kind Of Sad
Also there have been cases of drones being shot out of the sky by property owners trying to protect their livestock. (rightly or wrongly)

Here is the video...

Did you see the video (it's been removed from this site) about the baby bear and it's mum being disturbed by an unthinking drone pilot. Viral Video Of Baby Bear Climbing Back Up Mountain Is Actually Kind Of Sad

Admittedly, I was careless a time or two in my youth. But overall, I do exercise reasonable discretion when dealing with wildlife. I try not to unduly annoy wildlife, even the benign variety.

Here's the coyote picture I was looking for a few minutes ago.

Admittedly, I was careless a time or two in my youth. But overall, I do exercise reasonable discretion when dealing with wildlife. I try not to unduly annoy wildlife, even the benign variety.

Here's the coyote picture I was looking for a few minutes ago.

Great shot, I guess they're difficult to catch. Taken with a drone or DSLR?

Hello everyone.

I've never done RC flying. I've been an amateur photographer for most of my life and done some astrophotography for the last 25 years. I decided to retire from astrophotography after last winter.

When I heard about the new Mavic 2 drones I got interested. I just purchased a Mavic 2 Pro and am fairly excited to take it to Arizona. Where we winter, there are almost unlimited photography options in the desert mountains and the wildlife is prolific.

Welcome I'm new here too, so far everyone here has been friendly and helpful. Have fun in Arizona and post some pics. I live in Florida this is the season when all of the license plates change. Enjoy your drone.

Welcome to the forum! :)

Welcome I'm new here too, so far everyone here has been friendly and helpful. Have fun in Arizona and post some pics. I live in Florida this is the season when all of the license plates change. Enjoy your drone.
G'day mate to you too and wishing you a long and happy relationship with your Mavic. :)

Did you see the video (it's been removed from this site) about the baby bear and it's mum being disturbed by an unthinking drone pilot. Viral Video Of ]
Please be sure anything you post is correct before you post it .Baby Bear Hard Pressed and had it been removed it would have been a reason and you should not have reposted it.
Hello everyone.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . Thumbswayup

Hello everyone.

Howdy from Wyoming @MotorPsycho , welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here.

Thanks for the welcome everyone. I haven't been messing with the camera settings yet, or post processing images. So far, I've been learning to fly the thing.

Also there have been cases of drones being shot out of the sky by property owners trying to protect their livestock. (rightly or wrongly)

In less than a week, I've already run into people who have had a bad experience with a drone and now hate drones. Rather than blaming one irresponsible pilot, they decide all drones are bad. I've labeled it droneophobia.

I intend to be an overly responsible pilot, in all respects. When I took the picture I posted of Lake Wazzecha, I flew at an altitude of 120 meters and followed the roads through my neighborhood until I reached the lake, instead of cutting across private property.

I was a little disappointed to find out that I could still hear the drone when it was flying at 120 meters altitude. That does not bode well for silently taking images of wildlife, without drawing their attention.

Actually, however, I was planning to use the drone to scout for wildlife and then sneak up on the critters with my DSLR. I've never managed a jack rabbit yet. I always see them when they are already hopping away. Also, usually rattlesnakes see me before I see them.

However, there are frequently some pronghorn grazing on Empire Ranch, East of the Santa Rita Mountains. I doubt I'll ever get close to them with a DSLR. A drone may be my only hope with them. With a top speed of 50 mph, they are the fastest land animal in North America. The Empire Ranch is still a working ranch, but it's gigantic. A large portion of it is open to the public.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots from Dayton Ohio! Enjoy your new Mavic 2 Pro, Fly safe and have fun!

Hello everyone.

Nice photo. It's been kind of cold in Yuma this year. For us anyway, LOL. Being in Yuma foothills the air base keeps me grounded. But soon I'll head north and get some airtime and new pictures below Quartsite and some mountains in the desert. Happy and safe travels.

Attachments

• 20180108_175549.jpg
    20180108_175549.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member