DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help- dji mavic pro 2 crashed into 130m building

MC_PARAM_failSafeAction was set to GoHome, MC_PARAM_rthOAenabled was set to False. As a result, when the signal was lost the aircraft entered RTH but with obstacle avoidance turned off. The direct line back intersected the building (visible below blocking the red return path) that was blocking the signal. It's not clear why the FC didn't attempt to retrace the previous 60 seconds of flight, but it may have been because that would have taken it right to the edge of the London Stadium authorization zone.

1565398762118.jpeg

Ahh - so that would suggest the aircraft ran into the tall building on the other side of the rail tracks that your red line glances against?? Interesting, and thanks for pointing out the variables in the verbose file....

I really like your 3-d plot showing course and altitude..... too cool....

Reactions: HlaaDrone
I've been flying drone in park and lost signal, alt 120m and distance 2000m.
After loosing the signal it tried to return home but then it it crashed onto the building on the way home.
Before it crashed the I change the to position mode, should've the sensors stopped it from crashing?
It might have if it was enabled.
But your recorded flight data shows that you had disabled OA for the flight.
OA still works on RTH even when you have OA disabled .....
Except when you also disable OA for RTH in the app settings.
And unfortunately for you, the recorded flight data shows that you also disabled OA on RTH.
See columns GC and GD in the verbose CSV to confirm this.
Setting an RTH height above all potential RTH obstacles is the most reliable obstacle avoidance.
Flying behind an obstacle higher than your RTH altitude setting is poor piloting.
Before it crashed the I change the to position mode
Your whole flight was in P-GPS mode.
Before losing signal, you tried to reset it to P-GPS mode which was already active.
Even if it was not in P-GPS mode, the drone would have used OA for the return flight (unless you had disabled that for RTH in the settings).
I contacted dji and told me send the drone for investigation, before I send it I want to make diagnostic on damages, some people reported that dji repair guys try to rip off.
Half of what you read on the internet is wrong.
i wouldn't worry about DJI repair ripping you off.

Reactions: RWD
@sar104, @Meta4 - do yo think the no fly zone he entered had any impact at all?? Just curious... Thanks...

Hard to tell for certain, but at 228.5 seconds the following warning was issued:

228.5. Approaching a no-fly zone. RTH may be affected. Fly with caution.​

Last edited:
Correct - and a few seconds later this:
  • "your aircraft is at a boundary of an Authorization Zone, please fly away."

MC_PARAM_failSafeAction was set to GoHome, MC_PARAM_rthOAenabled was set to False. As a result, when the signal was lost the aircraft entered RTH but with obstacle avoidance turned off. The direct line back intersected the building (visible below blocking the red return path) that was blocking the signal. It's not clear why the FC didn't attempt to retrace the previous 60 seconds of flight, but it may have been because that would have taken it right to the edge of the London Stadium authorization zone.

View attachment 79291
This cool flight diagram! I have checked my app setting and have got OA enabled, do you have to enable on both the app and the drone through using dji assistant.

One additional observation - the command at 257 seconds to switch to sport mode was not

Hard to tell for certain, but at 228.5 seconds the following warning was issued:

It might have if it was enabled.
But your recorded flight data shows that you had disabled OA for the flight.
OA still works on RTH even when you have OA disabled .....
Except when you also disable OA for RTH in the app settings.
And unfortunately for you, the recorded flight data shows that you also disabled OA on RTH.
See columns GC and GD in the verbose CSV to confirm this.
Setting an RTH height above all potential RTH obstacles is the most reliable obstacle avoidance.
Flying behind an obstacle higher than your RTH altitude setting is poor piloting.

Your whole flight was in P-GPS mode.
Before losing signal, you tried to reset it to P-GPS mode which was already active.
Even if it was not in P-GPS mode, the drone would have used OA for the return flight (unless you had disabled that for RTH in the settings).

Half of what you read on the internet is wrong.
i wouldn't worry about DJI repair ripping you off.

Do you know roughly how much it would cost for this repair, you can see there is Some damage to the body, the gimbal come off but workes fine and the sensor's cover come off. @Meta4
15654054175027370392997669009669.jpg15654054620794792519302686672315.jpg15654054897054153600023548190457.jpg

Last edited:
This cool flight diagram! I have checked my app setting and have got OA enabled, do you have to enable on both the app and the drone through using dji assistant.
Those settings are stored in the drone, not in the app.
Did you check with the drone connected?
You set them in the app.

One additional observation - the command at 257 seconds to switch to sport mode was not

Is this why it changed to straight path for RTH?

Last edited:
Is this why it changed to straight path for RTH?

The default behavior for the M2 is to retrace the previous 60 seconds of flight in an attempt to regain uplink. We can infer that it did not do that if it hit the building shown, which I assume is what happened. The effect of a nearby NFZ is not documented in detail, so that's just a hypothesis for why the aircraft attempted a direct RTH.

DJI charges $65/hr + parts and they insist on replacing anything that is broken (including what might be viewed as simply cosmetic damage). At a guess I would say expect anything from $200 - $500. The camera is the big unknown and a crazy price to buy as a part.

@djidroneservice- feeling brave to have a guess??

First off - fair warning, I am a complete rookie at analyzing flight logs, but here is what I can see in . I expect @sar104 to be able to give you far more detailed view after he looks at the file. And yes - this is a LONG note, I tried to relay everything that may be of interest from the files.....
  • manual takeoff, home point recorded.
  • full throttle and full elevator for first part of flight
  • at 2 minutes 23 seconds into the flight, you reach maximum altitude of 400 feet.
  • from there you proceed with full elevator, level flight, crossing the A12 motorway.
  • at 2 m 45 s, shortly after crossing the A12 you get a high wind warning, and are advised to fly with caution. You are already a long ways from the park.
  • at 3 m 50 s, you have crossed Watenden Road, and are almost 5,000 feet from takeoff point. Here you get a warning that you are approaching a No Fly Zone, and that RTH may be affected. There does not appear to be any immediate change in your input via the RC.
  • about 1.5 seconds later at 3 m 51 s you get a second message - that "your aircraft is at a boundary of an Authorization Zone, please fly away."
  • abut 4 seconds later you start some left rudder input, until you have completed approximately a 90 degree left turn.
  • a few seconds later at 4 m 18 s, you ask for a change to Sport Mode, but it appears that communication is lost, so my guess is that the drone never received that command.
  • about 6.8 seconds later (4 m 25 s) you get a message that downlink has been restored, after being lost for 6.8 seconds. You get a second warning about high wind speeds and are advised to land ASAP. Aircraft mode is still P.
  • flight continues with full elevator input for another 27 seconds or so, and then you get a final warning about signal: "Weak signal. Avoid blocking the antennas and keep the antennas parallel to and facing toward the aircraft during flight.".
  • That is the last transmission I can see in the log, and places the aircraft over what looks like a parking garage over top of a rail station. You say that it flew into a building - the log does not show that. At the time of last transmission, the bird was 1745 m from launch point (as the crow flies), and had covered a distance of 2345 m in the flight.
  • I can't see any indication that RTH was ever initiated, either automatically or by your command, or that the bird ever turned back towards the launch point. Also, the log seems to indicate that the flight was in P mode the entire time.
  • I see no indication that the flight ever exited the Authorization Zone, so not clear to me what impact that might have had on the RTH function. We saw a case in the USA last week where a Temporary Flight Restriction came into effect during a flight and that caused the drone to land immediately - into the water. I do not know how that works in Europe.
  • I don't know what variables to look at in the verbose CCVS file to understand status of the optical sensors, but in P mode, I believe they default to on.
That is nowhere near a nice an analysis as @sar104 will undoubtedly produce, and lacks the graphical representation of the different variables in the log file.

A few questions - did you recover the drone, and if so, can you share lat/long where you recovered it? What leads you to believe that it flew into a building, it would have been challenging to see the drone given its distance from you (assuming you stayed at the takeoff point)??

To the experts - I am more than happy to have your view of this analysis. Like I said up top, I am new to this, and am interested in learning to get better at it.......

Thanks...
Hi,
I did recover the drone, when it crashed I connected to the drone from that area then I knew that it crashes to that building. Then the building security guys gave it back after loads of drama.

I Don't buy dji care, it's really bad mistake. I am not sure if I am able to sign up for dji refresh after repair?
Can it still start up?
The legs can be replaced for like $40 each if you do it yourself. However, I had the same thing happen on the one leg that popped the light cover off. the foot had bent over, popping a screw out from the frame, and I unscrewed it bent it a little and screwed it back in then used a little JBWeld to cover the cracks. I did this several times and still flew it with no problem.

For the camera I would take the top cover off and use JB weld to reattach the broken plastic that still on by the screws back to the upper body with JB weld. let it sit over night and then reattach the screws. you may need to drill it out with a very small bit but that way you'll have it thick enough. I'm sure there are plenty of youtube videos on replacing the camera.

Care Refresh, IMO, is very much worth it. So far my accidents that I've sent the drone in for have all been covered as a drone error. This last time I sent the drone in just because my care refresh was going to run out and they are sending back a complete refreshed one.

Can it still start up?
The legs can be replaced for like $40 each if you do it yourself. However, I had the same thing happen on the one leg that popped the light cover off. the foot had bent over, popping a screw out from the frame, and I unscrewed it bent it a little and screwed it back in then used a little JBWeld to cover the cracks. I did this several times and still flew it with no problem.

For the camera I would take the top cover off and use JB weld to reattach the broken plastic that still on by the screws back to the upper body with JB weld. let it sit over night and then reattach the screws. you may need to drill it out with a very small bit but that way you'll have it thick enough. I'm sure there are plenty of youtube videos on replacing the camera.

Care Refresh, IMO, is very much worth it. So far my accidents that I've sent the drone in for have all been covered as a drone error. This last time I sent the drone in just because my care refresh was going to run out and they are sending back a complete refreshed one.
JB weld (epoxy) might give you a satisfactory bond on body components however it’s less than optimum for the legs which are glass reinforced nylon. A two part polyurethane adhesive will prove more suitable here.

For the cost of components you should consider replacing any part that is critical. This isn’t like repairing an RC car or truck- if your repair fails in flight the potential consequences are obvious.

JB weld (epoxy) might give you a satisfactory bond on body components however it’s less than optimum for the legs which are glass reinforced nylon. A two part polyurethane adhesive will prove more suitable here.

For the cost of components you should consider replacing any part that is critical. This isn’t like repairing an RC car or truck- if your repair fails in flight the potential consequences are obvious.
The legs may very well be made out of the glass reinforced nylong, but the feet are not made out of glass reinforced nylon. They are made out of plastic and bond quite well with JBweld, plus the color can match exactly.

That's why I was recommending replacing the legs if they were damaged, but if it's just a popped screw on the baseplate of the feet, then it can be replaired with JBweld with no problem.

The default behavior for the M2 is to retrace the previous 60 seconds of flight in an attempt to regain uplink.
Sir, is this retrace an exact route accounting for ascending and descending commands during the last 60 seconds? Or does it retrace the path at the altitude from the point connection is lost?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeoTony