DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Helpful RID link from DJI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just asked DJI directly how RID would work in the Drones, This is what they said:

Shawgod Posted at 3-27 12:04
How far does RID broadcast? Does it broadcast from the drone? How much of the battery is used by this? Is there a separate antenna for this?
Collapse quote
There is no specific distance for FAA RID broadcast, no distance limitation. And yes, it will be broadcasted from the drone. Regarding the battery life, RID does not affect it. There is no separate antenna because the drone has built-in remote ID capabilities and the RID is embedded in the firmware of the drone.

I just asked DJI directly how RID would work in the Drones, This is what they said:

Collapse quote
There is no specific distance for FAA RID broadcast, no distance limitation. And yes, it will be broadcasted from the drone. Regarding the battery life, RID does not affect it. There is no separate antenna because the drone has built-in remote ID capabilities and the RID is embedded in the firmware of the drone.
If Aeroscope is any indication, once you're up a couple hundred feet, the range becomes easier at several miles. (The receiving end may vary from mobile devices to more sensitive equipment).

Can someone attach the actual FAA document please. I can't download it from DJI's website. I think they use Xenforo like this website and in Xenforo's wisdom don't allow you to download files without creating an account. Just one of many things I absolutely hate about Xenforo. I run a forum much like this one using phpBB so know about this stuff.

Anyway, I just want to go over the actual document as it pertains to craft that weigh less than 250 grams.

Anyway, I just want to go over the actual document as it pertains to craft that weigh less than 250 grams.

I posted exactly what you are looking for in post #20 on the previous page. Rather than read DJI's document which is just cut and paste from the FAA, why not go straight to the source - FAA RID

Yep, found it as well on another website. Thanks.

It just looked like DJI cut and paste certain bits and I wanted the actual ruling from the horse's mouth.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
Thank you for posting this. I read the link and some FAQs but I'm still not able to determine if my drone will be built-in RID compatible.

As I have a DJI FPV (not the avata), I'm not sure if DJI considers that to be a "modern" drone or not. If anyone has info, that'd be appreciated.
Here's the list.

Reactions: AliasFlyer
Can someone attach the actual FAA document please. I can't download it from DJI's website. I think they use Xenforo like this website and in Xenforo's wisdom don't allow you to download files without creating an account. Just one of many things I absolutely hate about Xenforo. I run a forum much like this one using phpBB so know about this stuff.

There is a link at the bottom of the first page. I had no trouble downloading the pdf.

Reactions: karlblessing
It's not related to RID, but the maximum altitude and distance from the home point are severely limited if you aren't logged into a DJI account.
No im not restricted at all both my drones have never had a account ,, i did even no about it till i came on here

From the FAA's website:

"All drone pilots required to register, including those who fly for fun, for business, or for public safety, must operate their drone in accordance with the final rule on remote ID beginning September 16, 2023, which gives drone owners sufficient time to upgrade their aircraft."

Sub 250 gram drones flown solely for recreational purposes do not require registration, therefore don't need to broadcast RID.
I have a Mini 4 Pro with the extended flight batteries which puts it over 249 grams, so I registered it. I know that it does broadcast Remote ID. I don't have the lower capacity batteries, so don't know if it will disable Remote ID with the smaller battery or still broadcast it.

Maybe someone with the Mini 4 Pro can check and let us know. You could be broadcast Remote ID even though it’s sub 250 grams. I looked and there is no way to turn it off, but maybe with the smaller batteries it will have the capability to disable.

Even if you are sub 250 grams, if you fly Part 107 and not Recreation Exemption, like @Ty Pilot said, you must register and broadcast Remote ID.

The mini4 pro, although under 250 g, does come with RID built in...but not activated. It will activate automatically once you use the alternate, heavier battery.

The mini4 pro, although under 250 g, does come with RID built in...but not activated. It will activate automatically once you use the alternate, heavier battery.
Please note this is only true with the latest version of sw update released in Dec 2023 version v01.00.0300

• Added support for automatically activating the US Remote ID only when the aircraft is used with anIntelligent Flight Battery Plus.

See the release notes here: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/DJI_Mini_4_Pro/20231221/DJI_Mini_4_Pro_Release_Notes_EN.pdf

I'm guessing that all prior sw version, RID is always ON but that leaves alot of questions:

It's probably like taxes, once they go up they never go back down.

Obviously this is based on battery usage so additional weight (from accessories) does not trigger RID....or does it? I remember the Mini has a setting called Payload mode.

What happens if you use your brand new Mini 4 with standard (lightweight) battery for commercial use and you need RID, how do you turn it on....is there a switch (which cannot be reversed)? Or do you need an external module?

If you have an older Mini 4 with standard RID on and you use standard batteries only and you flash the new sw update, does your RID turn off? And if you could flash back older sw, does that also revert back?

I agree once you turn it on and you stay with the sw, no option to turn off, but seems pretty risky to have an FAA RID DoC on a drone which has no RID details being actually broadcasted (when the FAA database is finally corrected).

For those wanting to mount modules to your Mavic Pro or Mini 1/2 (for commercial use) we now offer Remote ID module mounts for both DroneTag Beacon and Holy Stone RID modules. Check out all our RID module mounts HERE.
DTBMP-7.jpg
MINI2DTM1.jpg
DTMP4-7.jpg
INSPIREDTB7 (SM).jpg

I can't find this on FAA web site:

The original Mavic Mini 1 does not have RID. A 3rd-party module can be purchased, but adds weight to the drone...Is this required for recreational or FAA 107 flights? What brand/vendor of RID is recommended for this older bird?

The thread has been removed from DJI

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan