DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Helpful RID link from DJI

Status
Not open for further replies.
This material implies that with RID some rules such as flying over people or at night may have the opportunity of being relaxed. When reading #5 it specifically mentions that if you are operating a drone with an RID broadcast module that you must keep the drone within sight at all times. Does that mean that if one is operating a drone with built in RID that we will be able at some time be allowed to operate BVLOS?

This material implies that with RID some rules such as flying over people or at night may have the opportunity of being relaxed. When reading #5 it specifically mentions that if you are operating a drone with an RID broadcast module that you must keep the drone within sight at all times. Does that mean that if one is operating a drone with built in RID that we will be able at some time be allowed to operate BVLOS?
Not exactly. It means only drones with standard remote id will be able to request a blvos waiver. Modules or no remote id won't be able to request a waiver for BVLOS.

Keep your old drones, if you want to fly the old way. Just don't let LE follow it home to you.
If you didn't hack the old one to disable the aeroscope broadcast on nearly every DJI drone since the Phantom days. Law Enforcement and others with access to that expensive aeroscope device will still be able to pinpoint exactly where you are. It won't be as readily accessible to every LEO but it can be done especially if you try to do anything like fly near stadiums/etc.

Basically remote ID isn't really much different, just doesn't require an expensive device to observe, and they're actually telling consumers they can be tracked (yet has been tracked this whole time by other means without telling consumers).

So... they don't need to visually follow the drone home if they read it with one of those, they'll already know where you are.

Keep your old drones, if you want to fly the old way. Just don't let LE follow it home to you.
I'm not so much worried about LE but about Karen and Ken Dronehater with tracking software.
Do I think that RID will make anyone safer? IMO probably not, or only perhaps in infinitecimal instances. Those who want to use drones for nefarious purposes will find a way to do so, RID or not, probably doing a hack past RID, just as criminals will continue to get guns even if all guns are banned.

IMHO RID is going to cause more trouble than the trouble it's proponents say it will prevent.

Thank you for posting this. I read the link and some FAQs but I'm still not able to determine if my drone will be built-in RID compatible.

As I have a DJI FPV (not the avata), I'm not sure if DJI considers that to be a "modern" drone or not. If anyone has info, that'd be appreciated.

Great thread and Thank you for getting it started mobilehomer. After learning about this fairly recently, I did find it very close to actions such as gun bans. Like the folk here on the forum, a majority of honest people will do the right thing with the law. But the bad folk that want to cause harm not so much.

Last edited:
If I am registered with the FAA and the RID marked yes on the application, and it is 100% operational every time I fly my Mavic 3 Cine.....do I still need to make another application or modification by the September '23 deadline? Confused!!

Last edited:
If I am registered with the FAA and the RID marked yes on the application, and it is 100% operational every time I fly my Mavic 3 Cine.....do I still need to make another application or modification by the September '03 deadline? Confused!!

Nope - you are already compliant.

I am shocked how these days the drones has became a threat for the hole human kind.
At least in my country since the beginning of the drones existence there was zero accidents or incidents, nor a person punished by law for something.

Reactions: kidroc
Possible dumb question if I may, but not too sure. I own the Mavic Mini specifically designed to be under the 250 gram FAA limit. From what I read it appears ALL drones need RID capability. Is this also true for a drone under 250 grams? Just want clarification on that.

Exactly what I was thinking. Why, I bet the government will try to ban drugs and guns next. Gesh...
How are they doing with the drug ban thing? The gun thing? It’s going to get super interesting.

Possible dumb question if I may, but not too sure. I own the Mavic Mini specifically designed to be under the 250 gram FAA limit. From what I read it appears ALL drones need RID capability. Is this also true for a drone under 250 grams? Just want clarification on that.

From the FAA's website:

"All drone pilots required to register, including those who fly for fun, for business, or for public safety, must operate their drone in accordance with the final rule on remote ID beginning September 16, 2023, which gives drone owners sufficient time to upgrade their aircraft."

Sub 250 gram drones flown solely for recreational purposes do not require registration, therefore don't need to broadcast RID.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi