DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Here Maps

kmaluo

Reactions
Does DJI go use Here Maps? I just noticed how old and grainy the satellite images are compared to Google Maps. Is there any way to switch?

I've worked with maps quite a bit and my company is making the transition to here maps too. The problem lies in legal with apple maps. Apple maps doesn't let you use their maps commercially with pins/data sources that were obtained from sources outside of apple.

What that means is DJI probably needs to show a few markers on the map that they've gotten from different vendors in the apple maps and that's a legal issue. HERE premium SDK for iOS doesn't have this restriction, however it's paid.

As I cannot check for myself due to the lack of a Mavic, does only the iOS version use the Here maps or the Android version, too?

BTW, the newest version of the Android DJI Go map using Here maps seems to have a problem that the map is stuck on the "Home" point and doesn't follow the aircraft as it used to do... Not sure everyone has this problem, but I've down graded my DJI Go to 3.0.1 which still uses Google Maps until DJI fixes the issue...

BTW, the newest version of the Android DJI Go map using Here maps seems to have a problem that the map is stuck on the "Home" point and doesn't follow the aircraft as it used to do... Not sure everyone has this problem, but I've down graded my DJI Go to 3.0.1 which still uses Google Maps until DJI fixes the issue...

I'm glad you mentioned this. I've noticed that, and though I just hadn't configured the maps correctly. The lock symbol on the compass rose, or the 'center on me' icon - they're all undocumented in the manual. I've yet to find a combination that will have the map move with the aircraft. In a panic, when you're trying to figure out where it is and what direction it's facing, you waste critical time reorienting the map over the bird.

On an aside, I've been seeing the "here" text at the bottom center of the map, but with it written on a diagonal with the "H" cut off a the bottom of the screen, I assumed it was a glitch - a stuck "You are here" label, perhaps. Had no idea there was a map company called "Here". So, all of this stems from Apple not wanting third-party access. Color me surprised that Apple is putting up barriers to legitimate use that doesn't give them total control.

Reactions: Exception
You can download old DJI GO APKs here.

Android to. if you go in dji app and select inspire you can access the app and see by yourself.
Hey, didn't know I could do that!
I installed the app one month ago (when I ordered my Mavic... I'm still waiting for it)
And tried to play with it to see parameters and others... But just tried Mavic mode and seen I can do nothing without a Mavic connected.
Thanks for info. Now I'm playing with the app unconnected to a ghost inspire. Lol!
That will at least busy me a couple of minutes on the long way to get my Mavic.

Sent from my A0001 using MavicPilots mobile app

Reactions: Jeromeo
Hey, didn't know I could do that!
I installed the app one month ago (when I ordered my Mavic... I'm still waiting for it)
And tried to play with it to see parameters and others... But just tried Mavic mode and seen I can do nothing without a Mavic connected.
The new DJI Go 4 app allows you to access the settings menus for mavic without having one connected.

But a ton of stuff is not what actually gets displayed when one is conencted, as usual in DJI apps. Don't use that as a reference.

I have to agree. Here maps just isn't detailed enough, especially in rural areas, which is pretty much 100% of where we would want detail. I have yet to fly where the map was useful for anything other than trajectory back to home point.- All that is seen is a tan or green blur depending on where you are flying.

Other than downgrading to a previous version, are there any alternatives? Especially for an Android user? - Don't really care about Apple map BS and Iphones that won't charge from the controller.. ha...only one more reason not into Iphones... Google maps should work without restrictions, and their map sets seem to be the most complete.

Other than downgrading to a previous version, are there any alternatives? Especially for an Android user? - Don't really care about Apple map BS and Iphones that won't charge from the controller.. ha...only one more reason not into Iphones... Google maps should work without restrictions, and their map sets seem to be the most complete.
Here (pun intended) you go: Use Google Maps on Android (NO ROOT REQUIRED)

I'm glad you mentioned this. I've noticed that, and though I just hadn't configured the maps correctly. The lock symbol on the compass rose, or the 'center on me' icon - they're all undocumented in the manual. I've yet to find a combination that will have the map move with the aircraft. In a panic, when you're trying to figure out where it is and what direction it's facing, you waste critical time reorienting the map over the bird.

On an aside, I've been seeing the "here" text at the bottom center of the map, but with it written on a diagonal with the "H" cut off a the bottom of the screen, I assumed it was a glitch - a stuck "You are here" label, perhaps. Had no idea there was a map company called "Here". So, all of this stems from Apple not wanting third-party access. Color me surprised that Apple is putting up barriers to legitimate use that doesn't give them total control.
here maps are really bad compared to google maps i think. Although my AC does follow the map and does not stick at the home point, like others have trouble with.

i heard this before, but since i have had mine, the AC does follow the map. Or the radar.

i can turn and just follow my flight path back or the flight path it gives me which is always a straight line to home.

i am on iphone 7plus all firmware is current

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78